Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG transit questions with separate tickets - Arriving UA, Departing KA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

I'm considering taking ORD-HKG (in J) arriving at 6:10pm and then HKG-RGN on KA250 departing at 10pm. It is much much cheaper to buy separate tickets.

1. Will I be able to stay on the transfer area or do I need to go thru customs?
2. Will I be able to get my KA BP at a transfer desk? (I'm unsure if I'll be able to checkin online)
3. Can I interline my bag? If no, can I check my bag at the transfer desk (assuming I carry on the UA flight)
4. Will I be able to access the UC (or any) lounge? If no, can I use a OTP?
5. Is there any reason I should not attempt this connection?

Last edited by eng3; Mar 7, 2019 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eng3
3. Can I interline my bag?
Most of your questions are about HKG rather than United, but to answer this one, United will not interline to non-*A airlines on separate tickets.

If no, can I use a OTP?
What's OTP?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Most of your questions are about HKG rather than United, but to answer this one, United will not interline to non-*A airlines on separate tickets.
Well, 2 are related to HKG (though I assume which airline you come in on matters). 2 are related to UA. 1 is related to both so I just picked the UA forum.

OTP=one-time pass
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You only need to go to transfer desk, get your BP, and go through transit security check to get the gates.
For bags, I've done PVG-HKG(KA)-EWR(UA) separate ticket few years ago, and my bag was checked through to EWR, not sure about reverse though.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... 3. Can I interline my bag? I...
General answer is no, UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO) but some agents will do this for 1Ks -- best to assume it will not happen, but it might

On the return it is up to KA, but in past two years, many airlines have stopped interline to non-partners on separate tickets.

... 4. Will I be able to access the UC (or any) lounge? ...
Arriving UA premium cabin passengers have access to UCs Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
...5. Is there any reason I should not attempt this connection?
Almost 4-hour connection will cover most standard delays but still a small chance you will arrive too late and need to purchase a new walkup fare, if that is still makes this cheaper then it may be worth the risk.

The remainder are questions for other forums.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:33 pm
kkg

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
HKG offers refund of airport tax for separate tickets with transit on the same day. You'll have to clear customs and go to the land side departure hall to claim the refund though. If I remember correctly it's HKD 90.

Note that it has to be arrival and departure on the same day, and you will have to produce the ticket receipt that shows the airport tax amount. Arriving at, say, 10pm and departure at 1am the next day would not count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.