Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:09 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Today we’re pleased to announce RewardsPlus, a powerful new extension to the existing partnership between MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards. In addition to improving the value of points and miles for active members of each program, RewardsPlus will also offer strong reciprocal travel benefits, such as Marriott Rewards Elite status, valid at over 3,700 hotels and resorts worldwide. Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus, but here are some of the highlights:

Starting today:
  • Access to Complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite Status: Starting today, MileagePlus Premier Gold members (and higher) can register to receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, which includes benefits such as lounge access and free breakfast (at select locations), room upgrades (subject to availability at check-in) complimentary internet access, priority late check-out, bonus points, and more. Similarly, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite (top-tier) members can register to receive Premier Silver status in MileagePlus.

Coming soon:
  • New Miles-to-Points Transfer: We’re introducing the ability for Premier members (at all levels) to convert MileagePlus award miles into Marriott Rewards points at a 1-to-1 ratio, up to 50,000 miles per year.
  • Improved Points-to-Miles Transfer: We’re improving the rate at which all members can convert their Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles by offering a 20% discount off the number of points required for miles. This will be the leading conversion rate for transfer of Marriott Rewards points into airline miles.
  • Improved Mileage Earning on Travel Packages: We’re adding 10% more MileagePlus award miles when members redeem for a Marriott Rewards Air and Hotel Travel package using points transferred from a Marriott Rewards account – a bonus of up to 12,000 miles.

You can register for complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status starting today, by going to www.united.com/rewardsplus. The enhanced points and miles features are coming in August–stay tuned for more information on how to take advantage of these, as well.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 17, 2018 at 4:52 pm Reason: Update thread title.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Hey pretty good! ^ Gold is solid w/Marriott...I'll still be a Starwood loyal, but nice to have another option.

One difference between this and the DL/Starwood tie-up it looks like...no "double dipping" points?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
That's nice. Just registered.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Wow, a pleasant surprise. This seems like a great promotion -- Marriott Gold is a very solid tier, and difficult to reach otherwise (50 nights).

One obvious question, not mentioned in the T&C, is whether lifetime Gold (1MM) will receive Marriott gold in perpetuity. I would presume so, but of course we must be skeptical.

No doubt I am not the only person here who assumes that this is a moderate piece of good news that will inevitably be followed soon by the other shoe to drop, e.g., the massive devaluation a la Skypesos.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Well, that's a major disaster averted for the moment.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Stay tuned for responses from existing 50+ night Marriott Golds (and higher) who already experience overcrowded lounges and aren't going to like this at all.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Excellent new benefit! Just registered...

With this UA-MR partnership and the previously announced DL-SPG reciprocity, I wonder if AA/US is working on something as well.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by jeebus
With this UA-MR partnership and the previously announced DL-SPG reciprocity, I wonder if AA/US is working on something as well.
Of course. Only Hilton seems viable among remaining chains. It started with the Up in the Air product placement synergies. . .

(I would have expected United to partner with Choice Hotels, actually.)

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Stay tuned for responses from existing 50+ night Marriott Golds (and higher) who already experience overcrowded lounges and aren't going to like this at all.
Agreed. I wouldn't be shocked to see Marriott devalue Gold status, perhaps eliminating lounge access. . .
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Shame it's with Marriott and not Hilton (same thing could be said of my company travel policy), but it's still nice to hear a change which isn't taking something away for once!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Has anyone that's registered been able to select Ritz gold instead of Marriott gold?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Premier Plat
Does that mean that a MP Gold member could make Marriott Platinum with only 25 nights?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
doubt it

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Has anyone that's registered been able to select Ritz gold instead of Marriott gold?
Marriott keeps those programs completely different. Can't redeem points from Marriott to R-C.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by wxlvr
Does that mean that a MP Gold member could make Marriott Platinum with only 25 nights?
Good question, but I doubt it. I assume that one who got the match would start with year as Gold with zero nights, so would still need 75 to get to Platinum. (Similar to a status match or recent challenge-type promotions where Marriott was granting Gold with a few stays over a certain period.)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1k
What if we were already marriott gold.....

It'd be awesome if this bumped me up to plat but somehow I doubt that.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Pretty solid program (for those of us here in the United forum)... Marriott Golds are really getting the shaft though (no match for them, and many more Golds on the way)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.