Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:34 am

Thanks for this. I was unaware. Wish I would have known about this a week ago. I just got back from a Marriott stay with no status.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skimple
Thanks for this. I was unaware. Wish I would have known about this a week ago. I just got back from a Marriott stay with no status.
It wouldn't have helped you a week ago, as it just went into effect today with the official close of the merger.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow instant match to SPG Gold via the link. Benefits seem a bit meagre, but free status is free status.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It wouldn't have helped you a week ago, as it just went into effect today with the official close of the merger.
It would have, because UA to Marriot status match has been available since 2013.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Yep and SPG plat is easier to get than MR plat.
Now they're the same, but it used to depend. You can get MR Platinum through credit card spend.

Originally Posted by Kacee
It would have, because UA to Marriot status match has been available since 2013.
But we don't know skimple's status in either SPG or UA, so it may or may not have helped.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Given the immediately preceding posts, I assumed he was talking about the Marriott SPG match which is available only as of today. I guess he could have been referring to the UA Marriott match.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Sep 23, 2016 at 10:10 pm
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Yep and SPG plat is easier to get than MR plat.
Yeah, this was pretty shocking to me as I had never looked at SPG benefits before.

This actually changes my strategy for 2017. I'm typically 40-60 nights at a Marriott, with a bunch of other hotels in the 1-5 night range. That usually works out to around 35 "stays" at a Marriott, though they're not counted there. I've never made Platinum because most of my work travel is one night or same day.

I can't see any down side in doing my first 25 stays at Starwoods next year, then matching over to Marriott Platinum.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Given the immediately preceding posts, I assumed he was talking about the Marriott SPG match which is available only as of today.
Perhaps . . . I assumed since we're in the UA forum there was UA status but that's also just an assumption.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Wow instant match to SPG Gold via the link. Benefits seem a bit meagre, but free status is free status.
Agreed here - I thought benefits would have been roughly equal. But seems you need SPG plat for free breakfast (and I don't see anywhere on SPG about lounge access, but a huge minus in my book, assuming there is none). I know breakfast on its own isn't worth a ton, but it's often the difference between me choosing a Marriott over somewhere else. Honestly, I typically travel weekends with the family, and often, we like going out to one of the local brunch spots anyway. However, traveling with a toddler these days, it helps immensely as she gets up early and needs to eat by 8 or so, so often we'll go down and grab "pre-breakfast". Also in that respect, helps to know they usually have the boxes of Cheerios that we can take with us (whether we're technically supposed to or not is a different question, I suppose) - so we have a snack for her for later in the day as needed.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Agreed here - I thought benefits would have been roughly equal. But seems you need SPG plat for free breakfast (and I don't see anywhere on SPG about lounge access, but a huge minus in my book, assuming there is none). I know breakfast on its own isn't worth a ton, but it's often the difference between me choosing a Marriott over somewhere else. Honestly, I typically travel weekends with the family, and often, we like going out to one of the local brunch spots anyway. However, traveling with a toddler these days, it helps immensely as she gets up early and needs to eat by 8 or so, so often we'll go down and grab "pre-breakfast". Also in that respect, helps to know they usually have the boxes of Cheerios that we can take with us (whether we're technically supposed to or not is a different question, I suppose) - so we have a snack for her for later in the day as needed.
SPG Plat gets you lounge access in properties that have a lounge. There is a wiki here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...b-lounges.html

Re breakfast there is a wiki here showing what each property serves: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...t-benefit.html
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
Does it really take 7-10 days for united status to reflect silver?

Hi - Just wondering, does it actually take 7-10 days for silver status to reflect on united?

I just registered, i have an YYZ>ORD>NRT fight on October 5th.... so this would definitely come in handy.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Agreed here - I thought benefits would have been roughly equal. But seems you need SPG plat for free breakfast (and I don't see anywhere on SPG about lounge access, but a huge minus in my book, assuming there is none).
Yeah SPG Gold is like Hyatt Plat . . . no lounge access, no breakfast benefit. Only takes 10 stays vs. 50 nights for Marriott gold, which explains the meagre benes.

But at only 25 stays for SPG Plat I'm seriously considering switching bulk of my stays from Hyatt to SPG next year, as that would get me Plat with both SPG and Marriott.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Yeah SPG Gold is like Hyatt Plat . . . no lounge access, no breakfast benefit. Only takes 10 stays vs. 50 nights for Marriott gold, which explains the meagre benes.

But at only 25 stays for SPG Plat I'm seriously considering switching bulk of my stays from Hyatt to SPG next year, as that would get me Plat with both SPG and Marriott.
And the "upgrades" on SPG Gold are things like a corner room. The biggest benefit for me is that I've never had a problem getting a 3-4pm checkout where I've had to pull teeth to get 2pm as M Gold. Also ok busy days the elite check in line is nice.

Meanwhile I'm at the Courtyard Marriott Tokyo Station right now and got free breakfast every morning. I thought that was only at "real" Marriotts.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jchacko2
Hi - Just wondering, does it actually take 7-10 days for silver status to reflect on united?

I just registered, i have an YYZ>ORD>NRT fight on October 5th.... so this would definitely come in handy.
I did in in early August (see posts 778,779) and had my Silver status showing the next day.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Meanwhile I'm at the Courtyard Marriott Tokyo Station right now and got free breakfast every morning. I thought that was only at "real" Marriotts.
It always seems like all rules are off at Marriotts outside the US. There are even a couple Courtyards that have concierge lounges I believe. Here's hoping Starwood is like that too, because I think my plan will be to get Plat with SPG and match so I move up one level at Marriott with a fraction of the stays/nights.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
And the "upgrades" on SPG Gold are things like a corner room. The biggest benefit for me is that I've never had a problem getting a 3-4pm checkout where I've had to pull teeth to get 2pm as M Gold. Also ok busy days the elite check in line is nice.

Courtyard in North America (or at least US) definitely doesn't get free breakfast, but at least some (not sure about all) CYs in Asia seem to. Stayed at the Courtyard Chennai a couple of years ago and they treated me like a celeb...constantly made sure everything was ok, possibly the best room upgrade I've gotten since RewardsPlus started (a lot of my 'upgrades' this year have been to he concierge floor on a weekend, when the lounge is closed anyway, including my favorite, an upgrade to the 'concierge' floor at Toronto Bloor Yorkville where I was not actually given a concierge flor, but one floor below that seemed like a mile walk from the elevator to the room), and free breakfast as well. CYs in Asia also seem to be a lot nicer then the US. I do tend to avoid CYs in the US, but not in Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.