Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

In-flight announcements update on April 1 to "show more personality"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight announcements update on April 1 to "show more personality"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Wink In-flight announcements update on April 1 to "show more personality"

On April 1, United will update in-flight announcements to allow flight attendants to show more personality

Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Please tell me they get rid of the drone, robot-sounding, "Thanks for flying the friendly skies" nonsense. They aren't the friendly skies if you're reading it from a script like a robot IMO.

But I look forward to this Southwest-esque announcement style?

-RM
MattAus likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I think the thing I hate the most about WN is their announcements. I agree, the UA announcements sound like someone is "reading from a screen". Occasionally, I've heard FA's give the announcement without reading it from a script and making it sound more natural. I think it comes down to each person. Some people are much more comfortable speaking in public. You also have some people who have poor english speaking abilities. I just hope they still keep things "professional", unlike most WN flights I've been on.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I fear this will be bad as it will be amateur and folksy and there will be many varieties of cringe-worthy and/or incomprehensible announcements. They should train people how to read and speak or, better still, stop employing those who can’t in positions where it’s required.

Let’s hope they dump the horrible “fasten seatbelts” announcement.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
A tale of two Delta flights last night.

First flight lead was injecting personality into the announcements and came off a bit condescending at times, although I believe that was not the intention. At first I thought oh boy, their tone is a little too much do what I say and we'll get along fine. In the end service ended up being very good.

Second flight lead also injected personality into the announcements and was warm, humorous, friendly, and made it clear that their focus was customer service. They thanked all of us for flying DL and sure a few of the jokes were hokey (and well recycled), but it made the flight feel that much less sterile.

Would I have rather they both said exactly the same thing the exact same way (although they both read from the same script)? Not really. They are not robots, sometimes it's hit or miss, but I came away thinking they both ran a tight ship, enjoyed their jobs and appreciated their customers.

Nice to se UA cabin crew get the chance.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I did get a very interesting pre-flight pilot announcement last month. He gave the gross take off weight of the aircraft, as we needed to top off the fuel, and then compared that to an equal quantity of Twinkies. He then kind of ran with it and did a whole schtick on Twinkies. It was really kinda funny and unexpected, got himself a round of applause form the cabin.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by eng3
I think the thing I hate the most about WN is their announcements.
I will take a friendly, jovial crew that attempts a joke or two over a surly, job-hating crew that radiates misery... every day of the week.

That said not every crew member is good at ad-libbing, or even public speaking.
higher_flyer, wrp96, jb64 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I first read this, without zooming in, as, "lighter, more controversial announcements"... Unsurprisingly, Delta did something like this recently.

Get ready for more, "If you're seated next to a child, or someone acting like a child..."; "If Chicago isn't in your travel plans, it is now"; "turn off your blackberries, blueberries, strawberries" (though that's a bit antiquated, these days); etc. To that end, maybe they'll finally remove "DVD players" from the script.

My first April flight is on 4/4 or so...!

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 7, 2019 at 9:00 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
When it comes to humorous announcenements, the first time you hear them they sound spontaneous. But after a while, they sound scripted as well.

Years ago, I heard one of the funniest safety schticks ever. It was awesome.

But I happened to get the same schtick a couple of flights later. It sounded stale.

I then heard it a third time, and I cringed.

cricketer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Awful and cringe-worthy. If I wanted to fly Southwest, I would.

Originally Posted by BearX220
I will take a friendly, jovial crew that attempts a joke or two over a surly, job-hating crew that radiates misery... every day of the week.
Do you really think allowing FAs to show more personality means they'll stop being miserable and hating their jobs (and passengers)?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Oh jeez, I hated those silly WN announcements back when I used to fly them! The only off the cuff remark that always got a laugh out of me was back when the UA pilots would say "we know you have your choice of bankrupt airlines, so thanks for choosing United."
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
For flights with individual monitors, scap the recorded Mardi Gras, kangaroo, bride-left-at-the-altar ("Dave?"), etc video and just have a brief recording of a sincere sounding FA give the basic info in a pleasant, professional manner.
FlyingNone, jpezaris and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by gengar
Awful and cringe-worthy. If I wanted to fly Southwest, I would.
Southwest carries millions more passengers than United, so many people do.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...s-carried.html

I do agree with you that a non-trivial number of United employees will not stop being miserable and hating their jobs, no matter the incentives.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
It would be great if they could change the first announcement after takeoff to only include "United Wifi is available for purchase" IF the it was available on the inbound flight. I don't understand how crews cant communicate when they hand off the plane if there was an issue with the Wifi, and when they do, how they still include it in the announcement.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I'm okay with announcements with a bit of ad-libbng if the FA so chooses (better than just reading from the script), however, I would love it if they realized there are just too many announcements and tried to scale it back a little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.