Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

In-flight announcements update on April 1 to "show more personality"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight announcements update on April 1 to "show more personality"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My problem with the current announcements is that some FAs speak way too fast. There is no way for people who have never flown to understand everything when they go that fast, not to mention those whose first language is not English.

I hope this does not make things worse.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm hoping they lose some of the unnecessary chatter that is not needed for safety, security, or what passengers really need to know. How about a goal of 50% fewer words in the mandated announcements on each flight? I'll bet it can be done without losing what's FAA mandated and/or important to communicate.
  • We can start with the repetitive boarding announcements, some of which start as soon as the first ten passengers are on-board. I was on a flight recently where it was repeated five times! And the flight was only half full, so there was no congestion in the aisle nor lack of overhead space.
  • Let's include, "I'll be back with more about our service when we reach a comfortable cruising altitude." (I'm sure everyone is waiting with anticipation...)
  • How about, "Small portable devices such as DVD players..." (When was the last time you took your DVD player on a flight?)
  • And, "If necessary, the captain may ask that ALL devices be shut off." (In thousands of flights, I've never had a captain so order; if s/he really needs to, it can just be announced.)
  • Or upon landing, "We'd like to be the first to welcome you to XXX, and you are now free to use your cellphones." (Everyone else using them will be your tip-off, and maybe only say where you've landed if it's a place not on the original flight plan?)
  • And finally, lose the "We hope you have had an enjoyable experience...," especially when force-read after a late, uncomfortable, or otherwise unenjoyable flight.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by wxguy; Mar 7, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by narvik
The ones that do listen will think it's an April Fools joke.
I'm assuming it is. Inane announcements are the number one reason I won't fly Southwest or Virgin America. United is already completely unprofessional with respect to the safety videos (to the point where I refuse to watch), and if they broaden the stupidity, that'll be the last straw.

Fortunately, I have no United flights until Labour Day, so we'll see what happens in the meantime.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
United is already completely unprofessional with respect to the safety videos (to the point where I refuse to watch), and if they broaden the stupidity, that'll be the last straw.
It could indeed be a LOT worse than currently. Just look at Air New Zealand's one:

(is there a way NOT to embed a YT video?)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully they could shorten the entire announcement process. They are much too wordy on international flights.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:01 pm

...and will they also "show more personality" during the Mileage Plus Credit Card announcements?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
If you can’t operate a seat belt should you really be flying on your own........ why is this even required with or without more personality

maybe it’s an April fools joke coming
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
For those that recall, pmUA had generally shorter and less rigid guidelines for announcements. It was CO that had longer scripts and sticking to the script was strictly enforced as it was more “professional.” Hence the militantly enforced announcements for the last 7 or so years.

I can do without all the device related announcements which are annoying. When the door is closed just say what needs to be turned off. That’s it. Just once during the entire pre departure process. Don’t need another announcement on approach and landing telling me what I can and can’t use at that point. Also don’t need 25 destination checks or rattling off the credit card types accepted for payment. Agreed there’s nothing friendly about the friendly skies when robotically scripted. UA needs to drop that tag line altogether. Sadly the good memories associated with the friendly skies slogan got dragged thru the mud in the last few years.

I’ve already heard shorter, more natural announcements on 2 flights this week. I hope most FAs will take the memo to mean use a more natural conversational style rather than being Southwest silly.
FlyingNone and eric.chen3742 like this.

Last edited by PacificClipper; Mar 7, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by wxguy
I'm hoping they lose some of the unnecessary chatter that is not needed for safety, security, or what passengers really need to know. How about a goal of 50% fewer words in the mandated announcements on each flight? I'll bet it can be done without losing what's FAA mandated and/or important to communicate.
  • We can start with the repetitive boarding announcements, some of which start as soon as the first ten passengers are on-board. I was on a flight recently where it was repeated five times! And the flight was only half full, so there was no congestion in the aisle nor lack of overhead space.
  • Let's include, "I'll be back with more about our service when we reach a comfortable cruising altitude." (I'm sure everyone is waiting with anticipation...)
  • How about, "Small portable devices such as DVD players..." (When was the last time you took your DVD player on a flight?)
  • And, "If necessary, the captain may ask that ALL devices be shut off." (In thousands of flights, I've never had a captain so order; if s/he really needs to, it can just be announced.)
  • Or upon landing, "We'd like to be the first to welcome you to XXX, and you are now free to use your cellphones." (Everyone else using them will be your tip-off, and maybe only say where you've landed if it's a place not on the original flight plan?)
  • And finally, lose the "We hope you have had an enjoyable experience...," especially when force-read after a late, uncomfortable, or otherwise unenjoyable flight.
-----
LOL, you hit the nail on the head with these points...........All of this could be covered with (as you say) 50% less talking, explaining. I'm so sick of getting an earful of too much information that is redundant, childish (as in talking to five-year-olds) or force-feeding the Disney "experience" on everyone. I had all of that multiplied on a SWA flight once (late at night no less) including the whole cabin (except for me) singing happy birthday to a four-year-old. The FA was standing in the aisle reciting jokes like some sort of lounge act. Utterly ridiculous and we don't need it on United !!
Miggles and wxguy like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:25 am

Oh no

Originally Posted by narvik
My advice: don't take an AC flight to/from China.
You may like that even less...
I’m doing exactly that in less than three weeks. What torture do I have to look forward to?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Barrheadlass
I’m doing exactly that in less than three weeks. What torture do I have to look forward to?
It's nothing bad at all: announcements in English, French, and Chinese. Tends to drag on a bit, that's all.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by PacificClipper
For those that recall, pmUA had generally shorter and less rigid guidelines for announcements. It was CO that had longer scripts and sticking to the script was strictly enforced as it was more “professional.” Hence the militantly enforced announcements for the last 7 or so years.

I can do without all the device related announcements which are annoying. When the door is closed just say what needs to be turned off. That’s it. Just once during the entire pre departure process. Don’t need another announcement on approach and landing telling me what I can and can’t use at that point. Also don’t need 25 destination checks or rattling off the credit card types accepted for payment. Agreed there’s nothing friendly about the friendly skies when robotically scripted. UA needs to drop that tag line altogether. Sadly the good memories associated with the friendly skies slogan got dragged thru the mud in the last few years.

I’ve already heard shorter, more natural announcements on 2 flights this week. I hope most FAs will take the memo to mean use a more natural conversational style rather than being Southwest silly.
Keep in mind that you and most others here are very frequent fliers but there are plenty of people on flights that might fly once per year. The announcements are more geared for them.

The best I remember was on an Eastern flight many many years ago (obviously). The FA, a male, did the announcements impersonating Father Guido Sarduci and he added a lot of humor to the announcement routine. The whole plane was laughing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2019 at 10:03 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by wxguy
I think there are jurisdictions where you cannot use cell phone during taxiing. I just don't know what they are.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't point to "Please ask a flight attendant to be moved".

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
If you can’t operate a seat belt should you really be flying on your own........ why is this even required with or without more personality

maybe it’s an April fools joke coming
It's a FAA reg requirement.
wxguy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA Gld / 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Inane announcements are the number one reason I won't fly Southwest or Virgin America.
Lucky for you Virgin America no longer exists, and Alaska is firmly in the "professional announcements" camp. I have to fly Southwest occasionally and while folksy announcements are not guaranteed, they definitely annoy me. When I switched my business from United to VX/AS two years ago, the VX singsong safety video went from cute, to annoying, to oddly comforting after about the 30th time, and I ended up missing it when it was gone. Go figure.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum,Sky Club, Marriott Platinum for Life
And about how a seat belt works

Several year ago on a Delta Regional carrier, the sole flight attendant was a glib young man with a real sense of humor. He covered the scripted pre-flight announcements but added his own humorous twists along the way. An example which especially sticks in my mind is the bit about how the seat belt works. He started with "For those of you who have not been in a car for the last 40 years . . . . "
Jimmie Jet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.