Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

In-flight announcements update on April 1 to "show more personality"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight announcements update on April 1 to "show more personality"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The annoying ones are lengthy and that have big pauses - IFE starts up then 4-5 seconds later stops when they interject their next paragraph.

If FAs could say what they really think about having to hawk the Explorer card (clearly has nothing to do with safety) this could be a positive step.
roberto99, Miggles and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I hate being on a flight to or from Germany, hearing the pilot/co-pilot come on to say for us to fasten seatbelts and then, three minutes later, for the German-speaking flight attendant to say “Bitte anschnallen.”

Couldn’t the pilot/co-pilot just give the direction to buckle up in both languages at the same time? Or no German at all? Most Germans speak English anyways, particularly if they are of the sort to travel to the United States...
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Why on earth would they introduce this on April 1st???
C'mon!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by eng3
I think the thing I hate the most about WN is their announcements. I agree, the UA announcements sound like someone is "reading from a screen". Occasionally, I've heard FA's give the announcement without reading it from a script and making it sound more natural. I think it comes down to each person. Some people are much more comfortable speaking in public. You also have some people who have poor english speaking abilities. I just hope they still keep things "professional", unlike most WN flights I've been on.
When is the last time you've flown WN? I haven't had a fun, jovial WN crew in a while, they are more business friendly at this point than UA, AA, and DL.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sannmann
I hate being on a flight to or from Germany, hearing the pilot/co-pilot come on to say for us to fasten seatbelts and then, three minutes later, for the German-speaking flight attendant to say “Bitte anschnallen.”
My advice: don't take an AC flight to/from China.
You may like that even less...
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
My advice: don't take an AC flight to China.
You may like that even less...
Pretty sure the old 804 NRT-SIN had English, Japanese and Mandarin. Of course way back when it was on a 744 in Y with only a projector, these announcements were the IFE highlight.
jupper likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Count in me in the anti-personality camp. I want consistent, predictable, scripted announcements by a lead FA who has been given proper training in how to give public announcements with a polished, professional, clear, concise, voice and tone.

This is how Delta used to have their announcements, and it was a clear distinction back when I was flying both Continental (unprofessional announcements) and Delta - I find the younger crews on all US airlines to be sloppy with announcements, sounding unprofessional, mumbling, giggling inappropriately, making basic reading errors, making up nonsense, just rushing through in a monotone, etc., or worse, using some strange speech training method that places high, mid and low tones in certain areas of a sentence to the point it sounds like they are singing, or artificially extending the last syllable of each sentence annoying long, ie "while seated, please keep your seatbelt fastennnnnnnnned"
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Count me in the "I don't care" camp.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Oh, I do hope they are not going to move to that undignified, cringey SouthWorst style chumminess.
FlyingNone and chavala like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Count me in the "I don't care" camp.
I think many FTers are in the "I don't listen" crowd (such as myself)
narvik, chavala, jinglish and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How true.
The ones that do listen will think it's an April Fools joke.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann

Couldn’t the pilot/co-pilot just give the direction to buckle up in both languages at the same time? Or no German at all? Most Germans speak English anyways, particularly if they are of the sort to travel to the United States...
The language speakers are required to make announcements in said language (ie german) after the English announcements are made.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
But how many pieces of flair will be the bare minimum?
cedric likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
So if there’s an actual emergency it’ll be a “little boy who cried wolf” scenario and some of us (me included) won’t even bother taking off our NC headphones.
They should stick to the script and only speak into the mic when needed, I couldn’t care less about my FA’s “personality”. As long as they’re professional and somewhat friendly, that’s all the matters. If I want to hear a stupid joke I can tune into a comedy show.
FlyingNone, iluv2fly and hockeystl like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yeah, I've heard these announcements so many times, I tune it out. It's like "stand clear of the closing doors" on the subway. You don't even hear it anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.