Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

77Y (pmCO 772) starting to get Polaris retrofitted...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77Y (pmCO 772) starting to get Polaris retrofitted...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ryman554
Why is that?

Is it in pitch or width? Or pitch which affects width which.... makes not as cozy?
The 78x planes are narrower than the 77x planes, yet both are 2-2-2 (or whatever you want to call the Polaris config).
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Will these be identically equipped to the pmUA 772s, or will they be different? The former would make sense for fleet commonality, but there's an argument for having a sub-fleet which has more premium and one with less premium.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Will these be identically equipped to the pmUA 772s, or will they be different? The former would make sense for fleet commonality, but there's an argument for having a sub-fleet which has more premium and one with less premium.
Yes, they are configured the same 50J24W46Y+156Y
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Yes, they are configured the same 50J24W46Y+156Y
Are they adding crew rest bunks so that they can return to 3 lavs at 3L? 4 lavs for all of economy is pretty stingy (and stinky!) at the end of a 14h TPAC. (I guess this is really a question for the pmUA planes.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by skycrab
Do we know if the retrofits will include personal air vents?
It's my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that air vents are an "extra cost item" that CO decided not to pay for.

In my experience, I've never been more uncomfortably overheated mid flight than on an ex-CO 777.
I haven't been on one yet, but I seriously doubt this was part of the mod package. The overheads and sidewalls (I believe) are unchanged.

Originally Posted by drewguy
Are they adding crew rest bunks so that they can return to 3 lavs at 3L? 4 lavs for all of economy is pretty stingy (and stinky!) at the end of a 14h TPAC. (I guess this is really a question for the pmUA planes.
All of the longhaul 772s have 5 lavs in Y, including the reconfigured 777s... 3 at the mid and 2 aft. Similarly, all have overhead crew rest facilities for FAs.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
Funny how personal experiences differ. I frankly LOVE these seats and find them superior to anything UA offers - including the new Polaris. I will seek out the ex-CO AC and seats as much as possible and will lament when the fleet is all Polaris. I find the Polaris seats to be narrow, hard to get in and somewhat block access to the center aisle overhead bins.
Compared to the old United 4-in a row business product, I loved CO. However, I prefer Polaris seats. I'm fairly "Loveable" or "gravitationally preferred" so I really don't get all the chatter about the new seats being too narrow. Yes, it is a bit narrower than the CO seat, but at least 8D won't knock his bloody marry off the centre pedestal all over me.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
the subfleet with more premium seems to be the latest 763. Sadly not available for transpac
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by drewguy
The 78x planes are narrower than the 77x planes, yet both are 2-2-2 (or whatever you want to call the Polaris config).
I don't understand the comment.

We're talking about Polaris in 77W vs 77Y.

Why would the 77Y seat be less spacious that the 77W?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Compared to the old United 4-in a row business product, I loved CO. However, I prefer Polaris seats. I'm fairly "Loveable" or "gravitationally preferred" so I really don't get all the chatter about the new seats being too narrow. Yes, it is a bit narrower than the CO seat, but at least 8D won't knock his bloody marry off the centre pedestal all over me.
Whereas I'd take the "2-4-2" every time for the sleeping comfort. Happy with the new Polaris seat, but it's not ideal for my knees if I want to roll over or bend them in my sleep. Way better than most other staggered or reverse herringbone products out there, however.

And yes, I know I'm rare. I remind Mrs Cricketer of that regularly
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phkc070408
We have our first flight with the Polaris seats coming up, LAX-EWR on the 78J. I'm looking forward to trying the seat out for the first time, but think I will miss having both my wife and a window together - the best of both worlds.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not as spacious as Polaris seat on 77W.

Kacee was commenting Polaris seats on 77W vs 78J. Those are different seats. Fuselage difference is not the reason, why you're confused on drewguy's comment.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by skycrab
Do we know if the retrofits will include personal air vents?
It's my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that air vents are an "extra cost item" that CO decided not to pay for.

In my experience, I've never been more uncomfortably overheated mid flight than on an ex-CO 777.
CO crews had a pretty consistent habit of having the plane way too cold whilst they were conducting their initial meal/drink service,
and then 1/3 into the flight crank up the heat, presumably to have all passengers fall asleep and not bother them.
(An air vent might have helped in those situations.)

This "cooking the passenger" mid-flight behavior has somewhat subsided, IME.

Last edited by narvik; Mar 7, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Well, aren't the pmCO seats that are in the 788 and 789 a little narrower than those in the 772s? How noticeable is the difference in these two versions?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:57 pm

The comparison was 78J vs 77Y, which Kacee said the former was narrower, and I was responding to the "why" response to that.

AFAIK 77W and 77Y Polaris seats are the same width.

Last edited by drewguy; Mar 7, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by mlx52
Are the PMCO 777s getting personal air vents to match the PMUA fleet?
Uch...exactly my question. How will these be identifiable? Will be doing my best to avoid if possible.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:07 pm

As someone who’s 6’3”, the Polaris flatbed works as it’s a full rectangle* unlike the pmCO flatbed, which had the very uncomfortable pencil shaped foot end (except bulkhead.) All aisle access is a major plus for UA’s target customer, the biz traveler. The 8-across premium economy seats are really nice. E+ is down to 4 rows making the 10-across economy cabin really dense.

(*Only been in straight facing odd numbered seats so far.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.