Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delays Don't Have to be Miserable

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:33 pm

Very amusing. I agree -- from an aviation enthusiast point of view, I just want to get more detailed updates (via app, FA, captain, whatever) so I can understand ops and all that goes into them better. I promise I won't complain if I don't like the reasons!

But this ...

Originally Posted by O62

7:05 [T-0] Get into the ERJ-145. Slowly consider which is worse, the ERJ-145 or the CRJ-200? The CRJ has those sliding storage bins on the left side good for coats, but the ERJ has windows that aren't designed for maximum chiropractic profit. Hey, it's better than no flight at all, right?
... is simply no contest. ERJ -- if flying solo -- has that great single row and decent seats (for a RJ) that puts it well ahead of any lower-numbered CRJ.
jsloan, kale73, findark and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by O62
Arrive in MRY 1h4m late. We executed a go-around on approach to 28L and approached the 2nd time on 10R. Interesting. I doubt winds shifted, I'm guessing vis was poor on the east end and winds were calm enough that they didn't matter much.
The instrument approach to runway 10R has much lower minimums than the approaches to 28L. With low ceilings and/or visibility, you'll often be able to land on 10R when you can't on 28L.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
This testimony sums up the experience for frequent travelers and recognize what the airlines states for cause of delay sometimes is alternate facts.

My evidence that statement is entirely false -...
If you are reading the UA delay statement as being the original reason for the delay or as the principal reason for the delay or as the only reason for making a compensation claim against --- all those may be wrong. And UA has never claimed this is what the statement is.

The way the system operates is the last / most recent reason is posted -- it may have only been a minor part of the delay but it was the last reason. Understanding this helps one know how best to use the provided information. There is a more detailed history recorded and that is reported to the DOT as required and can be found by agents if needed. While the last reason may not be what some want it is more than what many airlines provide.

And as mentioned, what is the reason for UA to fabricate a weather delay for a 10-minute delay? And 140 miles is plenty of distance in which for a squall line to form (especially in Florida) and require some routing deviation.

For a discussion about the "delay reason" , see Is United quoting wrong reasons for delay? How is the reason determined?
jsloan and SunDevil11 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2019 at 4:37 pm Reason: link
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:16 pm
O62
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The instrument approach to runway 10R has much lower minimums than the approaches to 28L. With low ceilings and/or visibility, you'll often be able to land on 10R when you can't on 28L.
Yeah, I think they ran into a broken layer that was sitting east of the airport since winds still favoring 28L. Either were cleared visual or ran into the RNAV minimums. Doesn't look like they tried to shoot the ILS on 10R given the short turn we made around the peninsula. I'm pretty sure they came in visually. Metar at the time of landing was:

METAR KMRY 040654Z AUTO 20005KT 10SM BKN040 OVC047 11/08
A3013 RMK AO2 RAE01 SLP215 P0000 T01110083 $=

Am not instrument rated, however, so my best guesses as a PPL passenger. I'll have to go pull the live ATC tape as a curiosity.

Last edited by O62; Mar 5, 2019 at 5:33 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I'm always OK with delays because no aspect of life is flawless. That being said, it makes a word of difference with delays where the GA's/Pilots/FA's keep us informed, either if it's them explaining the reason or even saying "I don't have all the information right now/know what's going on but I'll get back to you as soon as I know" over complete silence. I'd argue that the majority of the passengers on any given plane would be OK with the delays if there was some form of communication. 9/10 of the flights I've been on with a slight delay the communication has been great but there are always those flights where there is nothing but silence and guessing.
jsloan and narvik like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While I am firmly in the more information the better camp, it may not be as straightforward as we would like.
The GA many times don't know any more than the passengers.
Depending on the situation things may be dynamic. DEN was under a weather waiver at that time and UA Operations were likely under slot limitations and as a smaller aircraft, the flight was lower on the priority list. To be honest, in this situation Operations probably had no clear idea when a 50 seater would get a chance. The one advantage of a small plane is perhaps if a slot did become suddenly available, you could get it boarded and out the quickest.
So, if UA had announced it was going to be an hour wait, many would have left the gate area and any hope responding to an opportunity disappears.
But doing 5-10 minute slips just irritates passenger.
In a bad weather situation, there is no fixed game plan and the plan is constantly changing.
The GA has a crowd in front of them and if they start saying we have a 50% going out in 15 minutes, come 15 minutes the crowd will rush the podium and exclaiming "you said 15 minutes" ignore the fact of the 50% -- so saying nothing is safer, not great customer service but after a couple of days in a row of bad weather it may feel like the better choice.It days like Saturday and Sunday at DEN and elsewhere I'm glad I don't have their job.
SunDevil11 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While I am firmly in the more information the better camp, it may not be as straightforward as we would like.
The GA many times don't know any more than the passengers.
Depending on the situation things may be dynamic. DEN was under a weather waiver at that time and UA Operations were likely under slot limitations and as a smaller aircraft, the flight was lower on the priority list. To be honest, in this situation Operations probably had no clear idea when a 50 seater would get a chance. The one advantage of a small plane is perhaps if a slot did become suddenly available, you could get it boarded and out the quickest.
So, if UA had announced it was going to be an hour wait, many would have left the gate area and any hope responding to an opportunity disappears.
But doing 5-10 minute slips just irritates passenger.
In a bad weather situation, there is no fixed game plan and the plan is constantly changing.
The GA has a crowd in front of them and if they start saying we have a 50% going out in 15 minutes, come 15 minutes the crowd will rush the podium and exclaiming "you said 15 minutes" ignore the fact of the 50% -- so saying nothing is safer, not great customer service but after a couple of days in a row of bad weather it may feel like the better choice.It days like Saturday and Sunday at DEN and elsewhere I'm glad I don't have their job.
(bolding mine)
I don't think that matters, though.
There's a way to let passengers know "something", anything. Even if it's nondescript. This can be done quite effectively, and many GA/FA and pilots do this quite well.
Just saying nothing and leaving everyone in the dark is NOT the answer.
One of the most basic rules of torture is to withhold information and to stop communication.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
... Just saying nothing and leaving everyone in the dark is NOT the answer.....
Never advocated that. Agree there is an art to saying something while really saying nothing. And being honest -- "I don't know but this and that" can work. But many are uncomfortable with that but the better GAs can do this.
But people wanting certainty are going to be disappointed. Especially for a 50 seat UX in a weather impacted hub.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
But people wanting certainty are going to be disappointed. Especially for a 50 seat UX in a weather impacted hub.
Definitely agree with that!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why I moved to California from Canada and refuse to go anywhere cold in winter. I haven't seen snow in over a decade and I don't miss it.

Next stop: retirement somewhere tropical where it's between 78 and 82 every single day of the year. Because San Francisco is cold.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is why I moved to California from Canada and refuse to go anywhere cold in winter. I haven't seen snow in over a decade and I don't miss it.

Next stop: retirement somewhere tropical where it's between 78 and 82 every single day of the year. Because San Francisco is cold.
Um, it snowed in LA this year. And depending where in SF (particularly the foothills) you live, you saw snow this winter too. It's been an adventure here in Cali.

But at least you know you won't see snow for another decade in Cali!

Try FL? Or maybe South Bay!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by jsloan
They didn't know, full-well, that your flight would be delayed, four hours ahead of time, nor how much. Your instinct was correct -- they could have made the decision to swap planes.

They likely did have a pretty good idea prior to 10 minutes before boarding, though. I've definitely noticed that they don't always indicate downline delays as early as it seems like they could.

None of this is evidence. It's pure speculation. For all you know, the weather disruption was local, or they were also delayed but their schedules had even more padding. What's UA's incentive to lie in this case? As you pointed out, it makes no difference to them when the total delay is 10 minutes.

The last thing we need is further to flame the paranoia and conspiracy theories.
I agree it baffles why UA would lie about cause of delay as the delay turned out to be insignificant.
I was on the plane listening/hearing the pilot announce we were delayed due to maintenance inspection of engine indicator. I didn't take a photo with timestamp of the maintenance crew working on the engine after scheduled departure (hindsight 20/20). I also didn't record the audio of the engine start up/stop at the gate after scheduled departure time. Upon take-off pilot announcement smooth weather conditions the entire route and we will make up time in the air. I don't record announcements as don't anticipate necessary or require evidence to FlyerTalk forum/conversation.
This isn't new - I've been on multiple flights UA had operation issues (including awaiting crew) or jetbridge malfunction which was reported at weather related delay.

If you are reading the UA delay statement as being the original reason for the delay or as the principal reason for the delay or as the only reason for making a compensation claim against --- all those may be wrong. And UA has never claimed this is what the statement is.

The way the system operates is the last / most recent reason is posted -- it may have only been a minor part of the delay but it was the last reason. Understanding this helps one know how best to use the provided information. There is a more detailed history recorded and that is reported to the DOT as required and can be found by agents if needed. While the last reason may not be what some want it is more than what many airlines provide.

And as mentioned, what is the reason for UA to fabricate a weather delay for a 10-minute delay? And 140 miles is plenty of distance in which for a squall line to form (especially in Florida) and require some routing deviation.

For a discussion about the "delay reason" , see Is United quoting wrong reasons for delay? How is the reason determined?
I can easily dispute your commentary - I started screen capture of delay reason immediately prior and post take-off. The delay reason was posted before plane left the gate (after the engine was certified functional by mechanic {announced by pilot not my speculation}). No original MX delay given and later replaced by later weather delay - only delay given/posted was weather. Also, confident no weather condition at all in FL Sunday AM besides sunny skies, no wind (unless we consider 10 mph at arrival airport) and no fog (monitor weather points along the way prior to flight and ATC traffic when time available). As a route I'm familiar with I know the expected flight (in-air) duration southbound vs. northbound and this matched that precise time (slightly faster than normal) so the delay was entirely a result of engine indicator/inspection at the gate and nothing else. As a passenger on the plane and frequent flyer - I wouldn't cause bad-press for UA or conspiracy without facts as we're discussing a 10 minute late arrival not a plane stranded in Canada/Iceland, etc. This is minor in the big picture but it does happen maybe with more frequency (based on OP and myself) vs. we recognize or care to recognize.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 6, 2019 at 9:43 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:36 am

It really doesn’t matter what United does. OP took it in stride as we all should, however...

United: Doesn’t provide information
Clueless Customer: United is keeping us in the dark or hiding the truth.

United: Provides information.
Clueless Customer: They’re lying to us.

United: Provides more detailed information at regular intervals including latest reason for delay.
Clueless Customer: Mechanical issue sounds terrifying, I want to be lied to. They keep changing their excuse for being late.
jsloan and SunDevil11 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Meola10
It really doesn’t matter what United does. OP took it in stride as we all should, however...

United: Doesn’t provide information
Clueless Customer: United is keeping us in the dark or hiding the truth.

United: Provides information.
Clueless Customer: They’re lying to us.

United: Provides more detailed information at regular intervals including latest reason for delay.
Clueless Customer: Mechanical issue sounds terrifying, I want to be lied to. They keep changing their excuse for being late.
It seems in your estimate - if an experienced customer disputes the information given by a corporate entity they are 'clueless' and never happy? Interesting angle with no level of facts/data besides conjecture on your part.
Enjoy the friendly skies and good fun post by OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.