Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 99 Cancelled - What do they do with the people?

UA 99 Cancelled - What do they do with the people?

Old Mar 5, 19, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
How do meal/coffee breaks and rest periods work on these ULH maintenance ferry flights? And who reheats the meals? (maybe this is why Polaris inflight dining went pre-plated )

Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
There will be no F/As on a maintenance ferry flight.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 5, 19, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by 764toHI View Post
How do meal/coffee breaks and rest periods work on these ULH maintenance ferry flights? And who reheats the meals? (maybe this is why Polaris inflight dining went pre-plated )
Brown bag and Banquet? Maybe Marie Calander if UA splurges?

Originally Posted by Taipei View Post
I fly this route a few times a year, and there are many other choices. There are much more seats on Qantas on MEL-LAX,others are sent on via SYD, AKL or BNE. From SYD AA/QF/DL/AA/Virgin as well UA have flights.
While I was sure there are plenty of indirect options, I just didnít realize that many could be found so quickly.

If it's a maintenance ferry then only the requirement crewmembers. Can't even have deadheads.

If it is a ferry for reasons other than maintenance then there can be deadheads and non-revs as long as the ferry flight will depart and arrive at a regular gate (i.e. not from/to the hangar outside of security). If they don't have a full F/A crew then they are limited to 19 non-rev/DH passengers.
Do the FAs count as requirement crew? In the case of 99 today, Iím assuming it is maintenance.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
Ahh, memories.

Cast your mind back about 10 years, when UA was flying those decrepit, creaky 747s to Australia.

Cancellations were a regular affair. There's an old thread somewhere focusing on all the Australia delays. One time they had three LAX-SYD flights leave in the same night, because the prior two night's flights were canceled.

How did they handle it, you ask? Badly. Some things never change.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
Ahh, memories.
Cast your mind back about 10 years, when UA was flying those decrepit, creaky 747s to Australia.
Cancellations were a regular affair. There's an old thread somewhere focusing on all the Australia delays.
One time they had three LAX-SYD flights leave in the same night, because the prior two night's flights were canceled.

How did they handle it, you ask? Badly. Some things never change.
Used to have a new thread every year for that UA flight.
The 2014 (locked) thread-->Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2014]
But is must have been a good $$ earner for the other airlines flying Aust USA
Old Mar 5, 19, 10:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
What do they do with the people?
Soylent green?

David
Old Mar 6, 19, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubord View Post
This happens fairly frequently believe it or not. It’s more cost effective to ferry the plane to a hub with full MX support rather than to have outsourced (local) maintenance, or UA personnel work on a plane with very limited resources.

Happened last year to me in Germany. Initially Lufthansa MX was handling the situation but it escalated after they couldn’t repair the fault. The emergency lights inside the cabin were randomly turning on/off with no control from the switch in the cockpit. Plane flew perfect but the inoperable emergency lights made the flight illegal to carry passengers so we ferried empty back to EWR for repairs. Hope this helps...
It does, thanks.

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Sometimes, airplanes needing repairs can technically fly (safely), but the affected part or system negates its availability revenue operations under FAR Part 121. Under those circumstances, a special ferry permit can be issued under applicable FARs on a one-off basis allowing airline personnel to fly the airplane to a maintenance base where a repair can be conducted. Of course, fare-paying passengers cannot be accommodated.
​​​​​​​Thanks
Old Mar 6, 19, 9:04 am

Thread title. I couldn't resist

Old Mar 6, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
My best re-accommodation was on an EZE-EWR flight. They canceled it, and after a along time on the phone with from the EL at the BA Hilton, I was put in BF on a Continental flight to IAH (they were in the *A by then, but this was pre-merger). This being my first CO flight, I got a FF number and was able to get miles on my new CO account for the flight. When I got home, I contacted UA, and got "original routing credit" for the flight as well.

After the merger, they joined my CO mileage account with my UA mileage account. A nice double dip for that trip!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 6, 19, 10:47 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Why would it come back empty instead of being repaired there?
Contracts or unions? Maybe legal or requirements for insurance?
Old Mar 6, 19, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott and SPG Platinum Premier Lifetime + Ambassador Charter, UA 1MM, UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
I was on this flight shortly after this service started. It was 104 degrees in MEL that day, right after the new year. We had boarded and pushed back, but then the captain let us know they were getting warning lights in the cockpit. Maintenance looked at it, all of the armchair aviation experts in the business class cabin with us grumbled loudly, and in the end, the captain said, "look, we are about to set out over the ocean for 14 hours with not a lot of land under us for most of that. Its best everything be in working order for that."

My wife and I were on an award in business and we got routed MEL-SIN-NRT-SFO-SAN after finally finding the UA Supervisor there. I cant remember her name, but she was wonderful despite having a ton of very frustrated people waiting for help for a few hours. We got to experience an amazing SQ business class on a 773, an 8 across UA 777 on the SIN-NRT flight that felt like economy after SQ, and when we got to NRT, the ANA flight from NRT-SFO wasnt booked properly so we ended up being put on NRT-SAN non-stop on JL. That was a surprise, considering it was not Star Alliance.

Quite an adventurous trip out of that cancellation. We had time, so we weren't bothered by in much. And yes, there are other options out of MEL, its quite a busy airport with lots of unique routings back to the states.
chrisny2 and mrt88 like this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 1:46 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
There will be no F/As on a maintenance ferry flight.
What about cargo? Just curious.

LAX
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
While I was sure there are plenty of indirect options, I just didnít realize that many could be found so quickly.
It's gate agents or ticket agents pounding away at terminals (as they've done for more than 40 years) looking for availability on any sane routing on any carrier with which UA has an interline agreement.
phkc070408 likes this.