Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD
Print Wikipost

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks for the update. Not exactly an appealing prospect. Think I will stick to T2 for the foreseeable future.

I will be eligible for GlobalFirst lounge later this week. Probably check it out due to long layover.
The GFL is a curtained off area in the southwest corner of the C16 club, where the quiet room used to be. It's sort a ragtag operation.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cranky1K
The GFL is a curtained off area in the southwest corner of the C16 club, where the quiet room used to be. It's sort a ragtag operation.
Yeah, that is what I gathered. IIRC, it has actually been further reduced in size from when it was first opened.

Assuming UAX can deliver me on time to ORD, it might be better to go into the city for a bit. I just hate carting roller board around for that.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Eadward
Ok I looked closer at this and I noticed that under and behind the escalators from B into the light tunnel there is a construction wall and a tarp. It's pretty far back behind where the escalator bottom is.
Hello from ORD. Here is that construction wall and tarp. A UA employee was walking by, and I asked where the new temp club would be. He did not know of any new temp club. He said that the wall and tarp was put up about six months ago to fix a leak. As there is not much space under the escalator, the UA employee speculated that the new temp club might just be a roped off area under the escalator...?!

I just asked the 2 lounge attendants at the C16 club, and none of them knew of any new temp club.

Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Here is some more info - for what it is worth...!

At the B Club the lounge attendant was absolutely positively sure that the temp club was under the escalators that go up to the C concourse. Somehow I think her info was not correct.

At the F Club the lounge attendant seemed to know a bit more, and her info seems to match what others have posted. The attendant said that tomorrow several UA employees will look at the proposed space (under the B escalators in an available space near baggage claim) to see if it will work. She said that the actual space has not been finalized yet. She also said that the temp club would only be for pass holders.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
Here is some more info - for what it is worth...!

At the B Club the lounge attendant was absolutely positively sure that the temp club was under the escalators that go up to the C concourse. Somehow I think her info was not correct.

At the F Club the lounge attendant seemed to know a bit more, and her info seems to match what others have posted. The attendant said that tomorrow several UA employees will look at the proposed space (under the B escalators in an available space near baggage claim) to see if it will work. She said that the actual space has not been finalized yet. She also said that the temp club would only be for pass holders.
I bet Chase will love that. Enjoy access to an exclusive oasis...under the stairs in the basement, next to the leaking roof. LOL
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bet Chase will love that. Enjoy access to an exclusive oasis...under the stairs in the basement, next to the leaking roof. LOL
Not to mention the pet relief area. Totally classy.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Milepig
Not to mention the pet relief area. Totally classy.
Could there be a connection between the leaks and the pet relief area?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I cannot believe how much they've chopped the C club...Thers no way they can allow passes! It reminds me of a non-hub club it's so small. I know Polaris will be a good size club, but I also hope that some more of that footprint comes back to the C club as well. I know it's temporary, but wow...I'll walk to F or B every time until December.
Not sure if someone already mentioned it, but I think the further reduced the size of the C club in the last few weeks (unless I'm crazy). When I was there at the end of July, the food was all the way in the back towards the bathrooms. When I came back this past weekend, the food was now in that front hallway and there was no longer a seating area near the old bar. Was completely packed (on a Saturday too).
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Not sure if someone already mentioned it, but I think the further reduced the size of the C club in the last few weeks (unless I'm crazy). When I was there at the end of July, the food was all the way in the back towards the bathrooms. When I came back this past weekend, the food was now in that front hallway and there was no longer a seating area near the old bar. Was completely packed (on a Saturday too).
The food serving area has been in that area for about a month. Two of the UC agents I know told me this weekend not to expect the C16 UC to be much different in size than it is now (plus adding back in the area currently blocked off as the GFL).
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Is anyone a bit disappointed with the windows in the B18 UC?

There's sure plenty of them, but there's only about a foot of un-frosted glass, and it's too high to see a view of anything
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cawhite
The food serving area has been in that area for about a month. Two of the UC agents I know told me this weekend not to expect the C16 UC to be much different in size than it is now (plus adding back in the area currently blocked off as the GFL).
If this is true, very disappointing. It's tiny and cramped right now. I don't think there are that many people in there that would move to the Polaris lounge either. A lot of *G and paid memberships. I would certainly rethink my paid membership if the only club in C is that small.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Is anyone a bit disappointed with the windows in the B18 UC?

There's sure plenty of them, but there's only about a foot of un-frosted glass, and it's too high to see a view of anything
I believe that UC faces a service road and small employee parking lot. There's nothing to look at.

Street view, UC frosted glass on the lower level:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9810...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by paule123; Sep 2, 2016 at 9:57 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:36 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBord
...I don't think there are that many people in there that would move to the Polaris lounge either...
This will be the make-or-break math for the average UC member who is a domestic road warrior. I, personally, do believe that the amount of international J pax in these clubs is substantial (particularly for that C concourse location at ORD) but ultimately that's a total "guess" on my part after seeing the exodus around boarding time for various international flights.

What is certain is that the clubs have gotten much more crowded in recent years on their own (club credit card, plethora of one day passes, more members), but you would hope that they would take all of that into consideration as they plan a path forward.

I do enough international J travel that the upside of a truly nice Polaris lounge is probably still a net positive to me, but certainly the last few months of being a UC member with an ORD home-base has been abysmal.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I'm the first one to not defend UA, but I think they're doing the best they can with what they have. We all know the clubs at ORD badly needed a refresh. It's going to be painful for a few more months, but I truly think that when it's over we'll be a lot more happy.

As for the C17 club sizing, I do believe the PC is going to be taking over some of the space of the UC. Hopefully getting rid of the conference rooms in the process. Yes they've done a bunch of short-sighted things in the past, but I imagine they've thought this out pretty well.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nevansm
I'm the first one to not defend UA, but I think they're doing the best they can with what they have. We all know the clubs at ORD badly needed a refresh. It's going to be painful for a few more months, but I truly think that when it's over we'll be a lot more happy.

As for the C17 club sizing, I do believe the PC is going to be taking over some of the space of the UC. Hopefully getting rid of the conference rooms in the process. Yes they've done a bunch of short-sighted things in the past, but I imagine they've thought this out pretty well.
I have to question whether the rush to Polaris was worth the total shutdown of B6 at the same time they reduced C17 to the size of a postage stamp. It is grim these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.