Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD
Print Wikipost

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm not so sure. Day pass buyers and club members pay a significant premium for lounge access as compared to MPE cardholders with one-time-use passes. Reducing benefits like guest privileges impacts the benefits of those users almost exclusively. The one-time-use passes, due to their nature and limited quantity (2x annually) are more like bonuses than core benefits of card membership.
^ Completely agree especially with regard to Mileage Plus Explorer (Mileage Plus Club is a different story by virtue of it including a full club membership)

As someone who has (had his employer pay for) a full UC Membership, and one of the core benefits of that membership is the ability to bring a guest (i.e. coworker/fiancée) to have discussions/relax in a quieter environment I'd be livid if my guest was denied. (That said, I can count on 1 hands the number of times I've actually used that benefit, so I'm not convinced "guests" are that significant a chunk of the population)

I'd view (and viewed pre-membership when I was expensing a day pass a couple times a month) the one time pass in the same way some private golf courses/fitness facilities treat them: Members come first, and if there's excess capacity, sure we'll sell you a one-time card but don't count on it.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
When you think about how much of the C club they're likely to take away for Polaris, and how much bigger B6 looks to be, we're all gonna have to get used to the idea that if you're taking a domestic or economy int'l flight out of C, you'll use a B club(unless you're ok with a C club that's as crowded as B16 currently is), and if you're flying Polaris out of B, you'll be walking over to C for the Polaris club.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:28 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
In any event, this restriction is a small, time-limited concession at a single airport with an alternative (albeit less convenient for some travelers) option available for CC pass holders. The result will be a better lounge experience at which to redeem the passes.
UAs option here was to upset some subset of UC attendees at ORD (one day pass holders) or to upset all UC attendees at ORD (everyone who entered a club that was over capacity). I think they made the right decision to try to make the best of a difficult (but necessary) situation.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by nevansm
multi-level? Is the downstairs welcome space becoming bigger? Are they adding a "perch" above the open area? Intrigued...
Add me to that list! Pictures on the last page have me very interested! They could do amazing things with that space.. Think Turkish airlines
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Add me to that list! Pictures on the last page have me very interested! They could do amazing things with that space.. Think Turkish airlines
My last ORD boarding pass mentions that premier security has "temporarily" moved to a different location, which makes me think that TSA is getting some/most/all of the lower level back as a security checkpoint but the mezzanine that the club is on is being expanded -- so lots of new room, but not 2 floors worth of new room.

I could, of course, be wrong though...
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
My last ORD boarding pass mentions that premier security has "temporarily" moved to a different location, which makes me think that TSA is getting some/most/all of the lower level back as a security checkpoint but the mezzanine that the club is on is being expanded -- so lots of new room, but not 2 floors worth of new room.

I was told by someone in the know that the UC will not occupy the checkpoint space at the end of Terminal 1 and also that security will not return there. It hasn't been finalized, but it most likely will be used for concessions.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

And, why is UA keeping this a state secret?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:10 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was told by someone in the know that the UC will not occupy the checkpoint space at the end of Terminal 1 and also that security will not return there. It hasn't been finalized, but it most likely will be used for concessions.
Revenue-driven for ORD. Go figure.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by milepig
And, why is UA keeping this a state secret?
Communication is definitely not United's expertise. Basically, United keeps saying things are getting better - but show me the facts. They should be communicating clearly and providing details. There must be some sketches or something. While a totally separate issue, I keep seeing Delta talking about the great new Tumi amenity kits on Facebook and nothing from United about the "great things happening."
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Communication is definitely not United's expertise. Basically, United keeps saying things are getting better - but show me the facts. They should be communicating clearly and providing details. There must be some sketches or something. While a totally separate issue, I keep seeing Delta talking about the great new Tumi amenity kits on Facebook and nothing from United about the "great things happening."
Indeed a mystery. For a project of this size there must be all sorts of renderings, floor plans, etc. What do we get - one picture of the construction showing pretty much a blank slate that only whets our appetite.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:24 pm

The C club looks like a construction war zone compared to when I flew through last week -- the area of the welcome kiosk and travel assistance counters (for lack of a better term) is now behind plastic, and a significant portion of other areas of the club are now behind temporary construction walls.

Checkin in is currently at podiums along the right side wall as you walk in.

Also, apparently the "no one time pass" thing is a discretionary policy -- e.g. UC agents are permitted to allow their use -- I got stuck behind someone redeeming one and instead of just a quick "No. Go to F" or "I'll make a one time exception" the agent did this whole speil about emails that got sent out and all the wonderful improvements, etc., etc., etc., but she'd be nice, etc., etc., etc.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
UA.com's shows NO club in ORD with shower facility at the moment. Is that right? I know they're renovating, but no shower at all @ their biggest hub seems surprising.
I've been told I can use the "mother's room" to freshen up when I'm in the lounge at the north end of ORD T1. There's no shower, but it is a nicer environment than the nasty bathroom, and you can change clothes and use the sink to clean up a bit. (Oh, and I'm male.)

Beyond not having a shower, I couldn't find any evidence of a mirror. I'd think that a mother would want a mirror in order to check herself before leaving the room, but couldn't detect one on my last couple visits.

Last edited by Grog; Jul 23, 2016 at 10:40 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:22 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Was through ORD briefly yesterday. Was going from C to B. Knowing that the B6 Club was closed, chose C16, which was a fraction of its former space due to construction for the GFL/Polaris project. Hardly a place (or stool) to sit at around 1:00 p.m. Most people were chock-a-block in the tight seating re-configuration akin to the new SFO Club near gate 70. I know that UA is eager to finish B6 and the GFL/Polaris - but two important club locations at ORD under renovation at the same time?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're flying INTL out of ORD in GF in a couple days, and I've noticed that about have the time the flight leaves from C and the other half from B17.

With the GF Lounge closed and the temporary one sounding sort of so-so, is it the best plan to just hit the B16 lounge if we're departing from B17? Hardly seems worth it to schlep over to a temporary space in C.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
ORD Operational Updates Re: Clubs and Security

Just Got this email about ORD Operational Updates from UA about the Clubs and Security lines. Move the thread if necessary.

-----------------------------------------
Please be advised of the following operational updates.

Your travel experience is important to us. That’s why we’d like to let you know about a few changes to security and lounges at Chicago O'Hare before you travel.

Lounge and club updates

We have several lounge construction projects underway that will completely renovate all of our United ClubSM locations at Chicago O’Hare by May of 2017, and introduce our first United PolarisSM Lounge for our long-haul international premium cabin travelers. Here is what you need to know:

One-Time Passes cannot be redeemed or purchased at any club location in Terminal 1 through December 1, 2016, due to reduced seating capacity. If you’d like to use a One-Time Pass on your trip, please visit our United Club location in Terminal 2 across from Gate F8.

The Global First Lounge is currently closed. We’re converting our Global FirstSM Lounge to make way for the brand-new United PolarisSM Lounge launching December 1, 2016. In the meantime, our Global First passengers will have a dedicated lounge space within the adjacent United Club near Gate C16. Please also note that shower facilities in this club will be closed during renovations.

The United Club near Gate B6 is closed for renovations and will reopen in early October. Please visit the club near Gate B18 or C16 while we work to enhance your experience.

Select areas of the United Club near Gate C16 are under construction. The club is open, however, shower facilities are not available.

We appreciate your patience while we work to bring you an upgraded club and lounge experience. Please visit united.com/unitedclublocations for all up-to-date operational information for United Club.

Security updates

Terminal 1, Security Checkpoint 3 is temporarily closed due to airport renovations. Priority security lines for MileagePlus Premier® members, Star Alliance™ Gold members, military personnel, customers with disabilities requiring assistance and employees have moved to Security Checkpoint 2. If you’re departing from Chicago, please allow extra time for security processing.

Prepare for longer lines at security checkpoints. Travelers at airports throughout the United States and its territories are currently experiencing longer lines at TSA security checkpoints. If you are traveling in the coming weeks, please plan accordingly and allow for extra time at the airport. The TSA advises arriving at the airport two hours before your flight for domestic travel and three hours before for international travel. To save time at security, we encourage you to apply for Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Trusted Traveler Program such as TSA Pre✓® or Global Entry (eligibility requirements vary).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.