Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD
Print Wikipost

Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think B6 is also slated for refreshing, but IME B6 is usually busier, so closing that one most likely will disrupt more pax. Under the circumstances, I'd be happier with B6 being closed for reno with B16 sporting the new club concept only a few minutes' walk away. After the novelty factor of the new F club wore off, it just isn't worth the hike from B.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Billiken
Just in time for the slow holiday travel season.
I think we're moving into a generally slower season for business traffic. Unless the workscope is small enough that the club closure could be limited to the January and February rock bottom period of travel, this is a good of time as any to start the work.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I definitely thought B16 was "fresh" enough but wonder if they are re-arranging to allow for more space etc as it can definitely get busy in there particularly when the LH flights are due to take off.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
IME, both clubs are pretty crowded, particularly at peak times. Losing one might exacerbate the problem, especially since the holidays seem to bring out the Card pass people. Maybe I'm wrong...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
PMUA did the B16 club about 7 years ago IIRC. It is a great space. Nice restrooms.

When the did the B6 club a few years later they really skimped on the restrooms. They did nothing other than put a fresh coat on paint. Restroom capacity is inadequate for the number of seats in the club. Similar to the new PMUA IPTE 777's with the crew rest stairs replacing a restroom (and the giant Accessible restroom replacing a two normal sized restrooms).
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: United 1K
This is so typical United - the lounge least in need of an upgrade is the B16 lounge. And they just moved several of the international flights from the C concourse to B16/17. Really flier friendly!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
This is so typical United - the lounge least in need of an upgrade is the B16 lounge. And they just moved several of the international flights from the C concourse to B16/17. Really flier friendly!
So they are refreshing the club that is near where they moved international flights too?

Seems like a good thing.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by dank0014
Isn't B16 gate the one they already completed? I would say the B6 gate is the one in need of refreshing
B16/18 was the lounge built by Chicago architectural firm Brininstool-Lynch in conjunction with Pentagram design in 2008. That design concept was to be made systemwide if UA had retained their pre merger branding. This lounge was a trial, using limited resources, to gauge reaction. It passed that phase, and then the merger happened.

Originally Posted by ArchitectMagazine 2008
In collaboration with the London office of Pentagram, our office designed United Airlines’ first new lounge to be constructed in over nine years. In developing new ways to experience the airline lounge, comfort, convenience, and connectivity are brought to new and sophisticated levels, tailored to the frequent traveler.

The Red Carpet Club at the north end of O’Hare’s ‘B’ Concourse literally moves the traveler away from the congestion of the terminal holding area, and brings them through a series of spaces that offer relief from airport intensity in a serene environment for work and relaxation.

An abundance of natural light is created by a series of modular wood screens that wrap around the perimeter of the space, providing warmth and comfort as well as a carefully screened visual connection to the outside operations of the airport. Specific lounge areas are distinguished by their furniture arrangements and materials – defining but not limiting their functions – and are anchored by a circulation core of glass, stainless steel, and stone.

The new building envelope for the lounge was created by capturing space that was previously used for non-public airport operations on the ramp level and making structural changes on the concourse level to connect the two. Due to complex issues of security, technology, and airport equipment operations that commingled with this area, the architects had to coordinate their work with four different government agencies and three different corporate divisions of the airline. As a result, all operations remained uninterrupted during the eight-month construction schedule.

For more information, please visit http://www.brininstool-lynch.com/pub...ed-carpet-club
pics, including blueprints, here http://www.architectmagazine.com/pro...ed-carpet-club

Last edited by tuolumne; Nov 10, 2015 at 12:19 pm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
BTW. On my second trip past I noticed that if you go by what the sign says UA calls this the B18 lounge.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
B6 is the one with the down escalators and B16 you go up? B6 is long and narrow with an L to the left at the far end?

Least favorite Club in the system. Doesn't it just look out at the side of a car park ramp or something? IIRC you ride the escalator down and to the desk. People would pile up at the bottom the escalator and there not be room for new people coming down. Not a UA problem, more an idiot problem, but another reason I don't like that club.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PushingTin
B6 is the one with the down escalators and B16 you go up? B6 is long and narrow with an L to the left at the far end?

Least favorite Club in the system. Doesn't it just look out at the side of a car park ramp or something? IIRC you ride the escalator down and to the desk. People would pile up at the bottom the escalator and there not be room for new people coming down. Not a UA problem, more an idiot problem, but another reason I don't like that club.
The other way around. B6 check in is on the ground level, them up the escalators into one big room with the bar sort of a U-turn toward the right.

B16/18 you go down and then checkin, and there is a dogleg, but it's at the back of the lounge toward the right, not the left.

B6 has zero windows, B16/18 does have windows over a fairly non-descript view.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by milepig
I'm in B6 right now and if anything the crowd is on the light side.
^
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:41 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Just leave the self-serve drinks!

Refresh away...It's the only club at ORD that I can get iced tea.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
There is no such thing of "they just moved several int'l flights from C concourse to B16/B17", as B16 and B17 are 2 of the 7 gates in T1 that can handle 747 and 777, other than those two gates, only C10, C16, C18, C20, and C29 can handle them. If you look at the int'l UA departures, B16 and B17 had been always had int'l departures, like mornings are usually the Hawaii 777, noon hours are usually NRT 744, afternoon are LH 744/748/343/346/333.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What a waste. B18 was fine. C and B6 are dumps. Regarding restroom size, United seems to be at war with them. I can only speak to the Men's but newish SEA club, 1 stall in the men's room. Newish San Diego Club, 1 stall in the men's room. Same in DFW. So if one person is taking a long time to do their seated business, it causes congestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.