Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA (C5) 4933 Runway Excursion at PQI on 4 March 2019

UA (C5) 4933 Runway Excursion at PQI on 4 March 2019

Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
From some of the news articles quoting pax, sounds like they perceived the plane as not even landing on the runway at all, but adjacent to it.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
Interesting way the FLIFO is listed for this flight-United never actually completes the segment out, just asking any agent looking at this flight to reference GG EME (which I assume is the reference page for emergencies).
​​​​​​
Ouch. Since the international passenger contact information requestson the back of boarding passes tells agents to reference DRS GG EME CTC I'm with you in assuming "EME" is the general emergency procedures DRS (and CTC would be contact info procedures)

Based on Flight memory I've been on that A/C twice, but both times when it was under the ExpressJet certificate. Hope everyone was OK but from the pics I doubt that frame will be back in the air.

And I've always dereaded "See Agent" on flight status boards.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by physioprof
From some of the news articles quoting pax, sounds like they perceived the plane as not even landing on the runway at all, but adjacent to it.
This appears to be the case, from some photos showing the trail of the airplane leading to where it came to rest.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
​​​​​​And I've always dereaded "See Agent" on flight status boards.
I was flying an early morning Air France NAP-CDG on 6/1/09, the day AF447 was due to arrive CDG. As we were boarding in Naples, crewmembers were discussing, in hushed French, a "missing" airplane. This, for me, was in the days of much more limited international data roaming, so I had taken my iPhone (3G) off the WiFi in the airport and did not learn any more about the flight until we landed in Paris. At that time, word had gotten out that it was AF447 from GIG, and as I walked through the arrivals area, the flight was still on the boards, with the words, "See Agent" cycling through. Families and news media were starting to arrive, and suffice to say, it was an eerie, upsetting scene.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:46 am

Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:48 pm
Suspended

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) says a United Express regional jet didn't slide off a runway in Maine — it missed the runway altogether.

A preliminary report Thursday [March 21] indicates the 50-seat Embraer 145 approached to the right of the runway on an aborted first landing attempt and then again when it touched down March 4 at Presque Isle International Airport.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/unite...port-indicates
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:11 pm

Not entirely surprising based on the photos-- but does anyone have a link to the primary source? NTSB.gov doesn't have it listed in their recent reports nor does it look like they've even tweeted about it yet.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
What exactly are we seeing here in terms of the alleged landing path?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A non-Fox News report.

Investigators say plane missed the runway at Presque Isle airport

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — The United Express passenger plane that ended up off the runway at Presque Isle International Airport on March 4 missed the runway on its approach and landed to the right of it, according to a preliminary report by investigators with the National Safety Transportation Board.

The city initially reported that the 50-seat Embraer 145 jet flying in from Newark, New Jersey, with 31 people on board, had landed on the runway and then skidded off into the snowy field.

The NTSB Aviation Accident Preliminary Report released Thursday, however, indicates that the aircraft “landed between runway 1 and taxiway A in light to moderate snow.”
Terry Williams, a spokesman for the NTSB, said earlier this month that a full report with an analysis and conclusion of what led to the accident would not be completed and issued for about a year.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by st530
My non-scientific arm-chair investigator interpretation based on the attitude of the plane is that initial contact with the ground was roughly where the snow disturbance started near the bottom of the image. The aircraft then traveled parallel to the runway until coming to a rest along the path of disturbed snow extending towards the top of the image. The area around the aircraft was then excavated/plowed/disturbed as part of the ARFF efforts.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:04 pm

They’re very lucky that landing gear didn’t penetrate the fuselage.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Hammer0425

They’re very lucky that landing gear didn’t penetrate the fuselage.
It sure dented it. Could have caused great injury to pax in seat 23A or 24A.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by st530
For starters, you’re not seeing anything that is relevant to the PQI CommutAir incident...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWR764
For starters, you’re not seeing anything that is relevant to the PQI CommutAir incident...
Indeed.
An aircraft sliding through the snow would have a much wider footprint. The only way an aircraft could make a path like that would be if only the nose gear dragged through the snow for ~150 feet, and then the aircraft came to a complete stop in less than 2 feet...

That looks like a tracks from a person walking in snow.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GFrye

Indeed.
An aircraft sliding through the snow would have a much wider footprint. The only way an aircraft could make a path like that would be if only the nose gear dragged through the snow for ~150 feet, and then the aircraft came to a complete stop in less than 2 feet...

That looks like a tracks from a person walking in snow.
Those are some pretty big tracks. I think if we had an image that went down further it may be easier to make things out. The path that is there is pretty clearly the same width of the plane. (Central maine had a nasty snow storm that day, northern Maine had several and there is still a significant amount of snow there.) it is plausible that the tracks is what the aircraft had made after a few bounces.

I am surprised that if conditions were that bad (it was snowing pretty hard that day and VERY windy) that they didn't head to Bangor or Portland where it may have been better. (Not that Bangor was much better, there were a lot of cancellations that day.)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Those are some pretty big tracks. I think if we had an image that went down further it may be easier to make things out. The path that is there is pretty clearly the same width of the plane. (Central maine had a nasty snow storm that day, northern Maine had several and there is still a significant amount of snow there.) it is plausible that the tracks is what the aircraft had made after a few bounces.

I am surprised that if conditions were that bad (it was snowing pretty hard that day and VERY windy) that they didn't head to Bangor or Portland where it may have been better. (Not that Bangor was much better, there were a lot of cancellations that day.)
Would the pilots for flight operations have been responsible for the decision to divert or not? And does it look like the pilots are in trouble for what happened to that aircraft? If so, would the primary responsibility go to the captain, the pilot actually at the controls doing the landing, or both?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.