Most 1k on a flight you have seen

Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
IAD-SFO had probably 50 1K/GS today. As a GS on a B fare, was #5 on the upgrade list (and didn't clear on a 772). It's getting absurd.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I fly IAD-SFO pretty regularly and have noticed how high the 1k’s are. I have moved to flying BWI-SFO as my upgrade chance is much higher.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Scifience
IAD-SFO had probably 50 1K/GS today. As a GS on a B fare, was #5 on the upgrade list (and didn't clear on a 772). It's getting absurd.
This has been my experience. Of course it is difficult to know how many are GS, !K and companions with status, and family, etc. but it was/is not unusual to see 40-60 in the 1K and GS groups on hub flights.

Would be curious as to how SFO compares with other hubs - do we have more elites (thanks to the corporate contracts) than ORD/EWR/IAH/IAD? I would have to think IAD is at the bottom, especially for GS as the government typically does not buy C/F tix.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'm still salty about the fact that they let 1Ks preboard. Not having to be part of the pre-board scrum was one of the #1 perks of being GS. Now I get shoved out of the way by 25 1Ks the millisecond they announce passengers with disabilities.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
it will be interesting if there are noticeably less 1K's after the increase spend requirement for 2019 qualification
Brucemcdou and Boraxo like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I'm still salty about the fact that they let 1Ks preboard. Not having to be part of the pre-board scrum was one of the #1 perks of being GS. Now I get shoved out of the way by 25 1Ks the millisecond they announce passengers with disabilities.
That was my experience when they first implemented it but more recently I've noticed the gate agents (at least at hub airports which is most of my flying) are very careful and methodical about calling each pre-boarding category separately, and pausing for a bit to see if anyone starts toward the gate. They also now have the overhead monitors set up with that order of priority which helps.

This is not my experience at smaller non-hub airports, but that said many fewer GS, 1K or even Platinums at non-hub airports. I fly in and out of Indianapolis sometimes and most people there are just so polite they wait patiently for their turn.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Well 1k’s aren’t GS, which is a disability in terms of upgrades, so they get to board early.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
That was my experience when they first implemented it but more recently I've noticed the gate agents (at least at hub airports which is most of my flying) are very careful and methodical about calling each pre-boarding category separately, and pausing for a bit to see if anyone starts toward the gate. They also now have the overhead monitors set up with that order of priority which helps.

This is not my experience at smaller non-hub airports, but that said many fewer GS, 1K or even Platinums at non-hub airports. I fly in and out of Indianapolis sometimes and most people there are just so polite they wait patiently for their turn.
EWR seems to have upgraded signage these days that very clearly breaks out 1Ks as the last of the pre-boarding group; seemed to work well boarding the 781 on UA2006 a few days back. I am pretty supportive of 1Ks getting the pre-board; that is a lot of flying to deal with Group 1, and my guess is the effective "downgrade" to GS from their inclusion in preboard is incredibly small.
schlang likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by jasonp622
it will be interesting if there are noticeably less 1K's after the increase spend requirement for 2019 qualification
I can see a lot of 1K's washing out between that and all the other 2019 fun: p fare pqm devaluation, food/service and seat downgrades, PZ search removal, 3 class F elimination and subsequent privilege removal (albeit it will be briefly lived), partner award restrictions, etc. For ORD based, non-polarized for the most part.

But hey, DirecTV is free in Y.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I've stopped counting.. My opinion:
Thursday PM or Monday AM departing the following airport hubs would have the highest numbers EWR, ORD, or SFO.
E.g. ORD-EWR (UA 230) or IAH-EWR (UA 2073) typically has a Thursday afternoon departure on a position large/heavy aircraft so chance of upgrade is immensely higher vs. normal single aisle attracting many more 1Ks. The confusion at the gate as 1Ks can or decide not to queue with Group 1 makes the chaos a little comical.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I was #76 on the CPU list on an SFO-ORD flight with a S fare. Assuming that the non-1Ks with instruments ahead of me and 1Ks with lower fares (TLKG) behind me balance out I would think there were that many 1K/GS on that flight.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
How bout the least?

Last week KOA-Sfo on a 737Max. 10 empty seats in F and FA approached us with”how are my only 1Ks on the flight”??
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TechnfxRick
I fly IAD-SFO pretty regularly and have noticed how high the 1k’s are. I have moved to flying BWI-SFO as my upgrade chance is much higher.
You will be happier if you're on the nonstop. I was very happy as a Gold my first year flying.
However, you will be very very unhappy if you have to do anything relating to a counter/ticket agent at BWI with United. the lines (and sometimes to pre check line unrelated to UA) can be absolutely crazy in the early AM. its mind boggling to me every time.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
You will be happier if you're on the nonstop. I was very happy as a Gold my first year flying.
Personally I would take the DCA<->SFO nonstop any day over the other two. Saves 30-60 minutes in travel time to the airport, not to mention the extra time needed to get to the C or D gates at IAD. And better dining options (though maybe not on the UA pier). I expect there are more than a few GS/1Ks on the DCA flights, but I was closer to the top the waitlist than for IAD. Now if you live or work in Herndon or Columbia that's another matter...

Last edited by Boraxo; Mar 11, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
I'm not sure how many 1Ks there were on my recent ORD-SFO Monday morning flight (777), but as a 1K on a G fare using an RPU, I was #33 on the upgrade list, out of around 150 people. That has to be one of the longest upgrade lists I've ever seen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.