Flying UA with crutches

Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
The definitive word on wheelchairs & carts (subject to change post-flight)

Based on the advice given here, I gave in and called United to request assistance with my flight Sunday, since I'll be getting around on crutches.

- The only assistance you can request is wheelchair. You cannot request the electric go-karts.
- Wheelchair assistance cannot be specified for just part of your flight itin. I don't need assistance at the origin or destination, just the ORD transfer, but that's not how it works. But- you can decline assistance at the airport.
- The carts used at O'Hare have to be flagged down. Strange but true! Like hailing a cab. They have no schedule so it's luck of the draw. Past experience shows the best way to find one is to walk down the center of the walkway and within a very short time you'll hear the beep beep beep of one coming up on you from behind. My guess is that the odds intensify if you're wearing headphones. :-)
- You can request wheelchair assistance any time up to the day you're flying. Doesn't need to be called in well ahead of time.

So I'm going to play the lottery and flag down a cart, hopefully, at ORD. Worst case scenario, I still have time to make the connection at just over an hour, on crutches. But I'd rather do the cart. The CSR lady on the phone said conversations like mine were common, including the embarrassment about making the request. :-)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Based on the advice given here, I gave in and called United to request assistance with my flight Sunday, since I'll be getting around on crutches.

- The only assistance you can request is wheelchair. You cannot request the electric go-karts.
- Wheelchair assistance cannot be specified for just part of your flight itin. I don't need assistance at the origin or destination, just the ORD transfer, but that's not how it works. But- you can decline assistance at the airport.
- The carts used at O'Hare have to be flagged down. Strange but true! Like hailing a cab. They have no schedule so it's luck of the draw. Past experience shows the best way to find one is to walk down the center of the walkway and within a very short time you'll hear the beep beep beep of one coming up on you from behind. My guess is that the odds intensify if you're wearing headphones. :-)
- You can request wheelchair assistance any time up to the day you're flying. Doesn't need to be called in well ahead of time.

So I'm going to play the lottery and flag down a cart, hopefully, at ORD. Worst case scenario, I still have time to make the connection at just over an hour, on crutches. But I'd rather do the cart. The CSR lady on the phone said conversations like mine were common, including the embarrassment about making the request. :-)
Good luck! I just did another round trip earlier this week on my crutches and it went slightly better than the last one. Re: the carts, to your point, I had the wheelchair in my res but on Monday for the connection at IAH the wheelchair lady brought me up the jetway and had me get in an electric cart.

As much as I find them a nuisance in the narrow hallways I have to admit there was a bit of a first time thrill being carted to the gate in one and having the woman "beep beep" everyone out of the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.