Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA search no longer taking NYC for airport name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA search no longer taking NYC for airport name?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by stevento
For NYC, inputting JFK results in a NYC search, actually. NYC results in EWR.
I noticed TYO too, defaults to NRT.
For both United and the NFL, New York is located in New Jersey.
moondog and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
And how does one use Google flights to search for awards?
You can use it as a starting point, along with other third-party resources - e.g. Expert Flyer to see award availability.

NYC is my home base - every single trip starts and ends in NYC. I don't let some IT limitations bother me; educate/adapt.

My general rule of thumbs:

Transcon: EWR
Hubs other than LAX/SFO (covered above) + Cleveland/Denver + Toronto/Montreal (transborder on AC) = LGA (easiest airport for me to get to)
International: EWR for UA + SK; otherwise mostly JFK for other *A, as some operate at both airports.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You can use it as a starting point, along with other third-party resources - e.g. Expert Flyer to see award availability.
Sure, if you want to waste your time to absolutely no purpose. And EF is worthless searching for UA awards, since it does not display XN/IN.

Will he go for the hat trick here?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
it's been doing this for a while, terrible.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
The app will still show all relevant airports when searching NYC and TYO.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
It won't take TYO. TYO converts to NRT. As if there were no HND.
I've successfully searched for and booked flights from "TYO" as recently as January, resulting in fights that depart HND and return to NRT and vice versa. In the past, the search often converted TYO to NRT whenever I did any toggling of options so I had to reenter TYO but I don't recall that happening recently.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I noticed this the other day searching award availability. I typed NYC and didn't look closely enough, then realized the default for NYC is EWR on the website. Leave it to UA to break something that was not broken. Made me mad because it wasn't showing flights that I knew were open from JFK until I poked around. Not customer friendly.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:10 pm

OMG!!!

What will we do?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kannai
I've successfully searched for and booked flights from "TYO" as recently as January, resulting in fights that depart HND and return to NRT and vice versa. In the past, the search often converted TYO to NRT whenever I did any toggling of options so I had to reenter TYO but I don't recall that happening recently.
I can assure you that currently, TYO=NRT as far as united.com is concerned. I've bought four Japan tix in the past few weeks and it's been a real hassle having to search separately for flights to NRT and HND.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Reward Travel

For NYC, inputting JFK results in a NYC search, actually. NYC results in EWR.
I noticed TYO too, defaults to NRT.
Same here. Frustrating indeed. I have had instances where both JFK and NYC will default back to EWR, so you really have to be aware, and check the city code *after* a search.

Originally Posted by 764toHI
The app will still show all relevant airports when searching NYC and TYO.
But does the app show all the flight results that the website does? My experience is nope, the website search displays more results.

Not only does the app show a subset of results, it excludes some highly desirable saver level options.

SL

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by SunLover
But does the app show all the flight results that the website does? My experience is nope, the website search displays more results.

Not only does the app show a subset of results, it excludes some highly desirable saver level options.
The app is not the place to conduct a flight search if you are looking for the greatest number of available options.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
amazing how so many huge companies manage to do things that causes the usability of their site to degrade.
Hammer meet nail. Of late I’ve found every iteration of the UA website to be more difficult to use than its predecessor. Just last night sent “web feedback” to BoA because it is now impossible to view/download cc statements in Safari and, while possible to do so in Firefox, the process is far slower and more cumbersome than before. It almost seems as though corporations are trying to dissuade customers from using their websites.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:47 am

Qla and qsf are pretty much obsolete now, it seems.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Why is this an issue?

Try Google flights if you need to search all there nearby airports in the NYC area.
One drawback of Google flights is that you can't search itineraries that are outbound out of one regional airport and return to another (example outbound EWR-xxx, return xxx-JFK). Once you select an outbound, it forces you into selecting the return to the same airport. This limits options to cities with multiple airports. UA.com used to be able to do this by choosing the general code (NYC, WAS) but not right now with auto NYC-->EWR and WAS-->IAD. Only way I can force this to work is doing a multi-flight itinerary on UA.com. Trying the same type of multi-city itinerary on Google flights finds the itineraries, but when you select one, it draws an error.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by gandalf29
One drawback of Google flights is that you can't search itineraries that are outbound out of one regional airport and return to another (example outbound EWR-xxx, return xxx-JFK). Once you select an outbound, it forces you into selecting the return to the same airport.
I ran into this with NRT/HND. I thought it was a fare issue, as the Japan fares have all sorts of funky restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.