Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
I was merely suspicious.

I mean, how do you explain 16 J seats are open when the flight is about to close the door but there is no saver award?

Previous discussion Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Anytime when 20 seats in business class open about 30 min to departure, but UA refuses to release saver J award, you have to be suspicious.

Especially if the only people on upgrade standby list are UA employees. Like in a recent thread about SFO-AKL.

These people have friends in Inventory Management intentionally blocking I/IN so the employees can enjoy free ride in business class while UA leaves miles (liability) on the table.

Or sell the passes for money.
Not making an official statement - but having worked in airline IM in the recent past, this is absolutely untrue and would be next to impossible to actually carry out even if you wanted to. Not at all how IM works. Not to mention that trying something like that would be so easy to audit and would get employees fired in a matter of days. I can't get into the details on how IM systems work, but want to dispel this nonsense.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Not making an official statement - but having worked in airline IM in the recent past, this is absolutely untrue and would be next to impossible to actually carry out even if you wanted to. Not at all how IM works. Not to mention that trying something like that would be so easy to audit and would get employees fired in a matter of days. I can't get into the details on how IM systems work, but want to dispel this nonsense.

I have taken screen shots of upgrade list when that SFO-AKL flight on March 3 took off.

It shows UA employees got upgraded to business class.

For the entire period, there was zero PN/PZ/IN/I space.

No Mileage Plus member can redeem saver J award.

No passenger buying ticket within 24 hours of departure can request upgrade.

I don't have a dog to fight in this flight, but this kind of stuff happens more frequently than before and it bothers me.

It devalues MP benefits....... no matter the reason. There is no way to deny that.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:56 am

INobody can redeem miles for the saver award, and nobody buying tickets 24 hours before departure can upgrade because you can't even request waitlisted if PZ=0.
Any revenue customer on an upgrade list will get it before any employee on a standby basis. Regardless of inventory availability. At the gate, all inventory is available for the gate agent to process upgrade requests.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Any revenue customer on an upgrade list will get it before any employee on a standby basis. Regardless of inventory availability. At the gate, all inventory is available for the gate agent to process upgrade requests.
Sorry, if you buy a ticket within 24 hours of departure, you can NOT request upgrade if PZ=0.

Even if you bought ticket long time ago, you still can't put upgrade request within 24 hours to departure. It has to be before that.

So in these cases the gate agent processing upgrade is moot.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:03 pm

Sorry, if you buy a ticket within 24 hours of departure, you can NOT request upgrade if PZ=0.

So the gate agent processing upgrade is moot.
I didn't say if you bought a ticket within 24 hours.

If you did and you are on the list, you're not as risk of losing your upgrade to a non-rev is my point.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I also worked at an airline - and agree there is a 0% chance someone in Revenue Mgmt has fingers on a keyboard for a specific flight to let some friends on the plane.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Do you have any proof? It seems like you are making wild accusations. United is a private company that can do what ever it so pleases with their seats.
Actually UA is a public company. UAL is traded on the NASDAQ. If kb1992 has any evidence, he should report it immediately.

I find it hard to believe that UA's auditors would not catch revenue "leakage" such as he reports is occurring. It would attract Board and shareholder attention in pretty short order.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2019 at 12:22 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It devalues MP benefits....... no matter the reason. There is no way to deny that.
yes but it has nothing to do with employees or buddy passes.. ua intentionally holds back award/upgrade space to force you to buy or redeem at inflated rates rather than get smth for "free"..
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
I have taken screen shots of upgrade list when that SFO-AKL flight on March 3 took off.

I don't have a dog to fight in this flight, but this kind of stuff happens more frequently than before and it bothers me.

But the person who was complaining was upgraded. It doesn't seem like evidence of a conspiracy with revenue management.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you have any proof? It seems like you are making wild accusations. United is a private company that can do what ever it so pleases with their seats.
United is not a "private" company. It's publicly traded and has responsibilities to its shareholders.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiPremier
And here I am hoping / waiting to get upgraded on the flight to AKL with 25+ open seats about 15 days out. PN has been > 0 for a few weeks, anywhere from PN1 to currently PN7, but PZ has always stayed 0.
Originally Posted by Kacee
That should clear.
IME, it can clear without PZ1(+) ever showing up.
Good luck, SkiPremier!
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It bothers me that UA rather let their employees fly business for free, while denying Mileage Plus members to redeem miles for saver award or last minute travelers to request upgrades.
Then fly a different airline. The seats are UA's, and they can do with them as they want. How is this any different from complaining that they won't allow them to be sold for $50?

Anyone who waitlisted for a saver award would have cleared. Anyone who waitlisted an upgrade more than 24 hours in advance would have cleared. Do you think there's really that much of a market for last-minute business class awards to Auckland?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Your last statement is bunk. They are not a PRIVATE company and are held accountable for actions that would impact revenue and profit.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK

This is nonsense. for SFO-AKL on 3/3, how many passengers do you think are in business class with saver award ticket? if 20 seats are occupied by award passengers, do you think that is high or low? simply because you didn't see saver award open doesn't mean other people couldn't get it. look, your perception <> reality and sometimes it is completely false.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.