Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Artpen100
That would be dishonest (well, unless you asked the client and they said okay, which is not going to happen). Only what you pay in cash.
This is a simplistic view of B2B agreements. For decades, I traveled to sites in which businesses agreed to a flat travel reimbursement. They could care less what I actually paid or whether miles were used. Nothing dishonest about it.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomA

Everything you paid.
(I’m on my phone and can’t manage to select only the relevant part of your quote.)
But how do you value what you paid for the miles? I suppose a conversion of $1 to 11/9/7/etc miles could be supported.

Or are you only considering if you were to buy expressly for purchasing a ticket?

This doesn't really have personal relevance to me, just curious.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC
This is a simplistic view of B2B agreements. For decades, I traveled to sites in which businesses agreed to a flat travel reimbursement. They could care less what I actually paid or whether miles were used. Nothing dishonest about it.
That is not really a reimbursement. Many a contract has a flat fee in it, including for travel, and even specify the number of trips covered. How you get there is on you. But if it simply says they will reimburse out of pocket travel costs, using your own miles is not a travel cost. Now, if you purchased a bunch of miles for cash at 3.5 cents per mile to permit you to save thousands on the price of a ticket, you might be able to charge the cost of those miles, but even then, I'd want to be able to show that and confirm it is permitted under the contract and okay with the client. I'd never try to charge a client for some "deemed" value of using my personal miles.
jsloan and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
SFO-AKL RT is still typically $8K in J, IMO you would struggle to generate sufficient savings to make up the difference of losing 6 GPU's.
I'm seeing lots of availability on HA for around $3700 RT. Yes, you have to do a 2.5 hr connection in HNL, but in the original poster's scenario you were already taking many inconvenient routings on other flights just to get a GPU to use on this nonstop flight. Thus the net convenience of not chasing status in this case would still be higher. But as always, YMMV.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is the key. No matter what the situation, being transparent with the client is a key to a continuing relationship.

Where all of this becomes much more difficult is if the miles were earned through travel paid for by third parties, e.g., former employer or other clients, but not reported as income at the time, it becomes quite difficult to deal with the miles' tax treatment for both you and for the client.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
This is the key. No matter what the situation, being transparent with the client is a key to a continuing relationship.

Where all of this becomes much more difficult is if the miles were earned through travel paid for by third parties, e.g., former employer or other clients, but not reported as income at the time, it becomes quite difficult to deal with the miles' tax treatment for both you and for the client.
I have kept things simple and always "transparent" for over 30 years working with clients. I will either pay for the ticket and bill the client or have the client do it directly although the latter for me is far less often. As far as the miles earned this technically can be an issue and has been discussed for years on many forums I have not had any tax problems or had a single client complain that I was gaming them by keeping the miles earned and not crediting them somehow. I would be curious to hear if someone here actually did run into a tax issue over miles earned. I have heard that it can be sticky in divorce but mercifully I have not run into that problem either.

Last edited by nomad420; Mar 6, 2019 at 1:57 pm Reason: removed duplicated wording
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Possible I suppose, but it's not a recent development, it's been this way for several years. And I'm pretty sure it's deliberate. It's not like we're talking an occasional anomaly. You will regularly see flights with 15+ empty J seats I0/IN0 on day of departure.
And here I am hoping / waiting to get upgraded on the flight to AKL with 25+ open seats about 15 days out. PN has been > 0 for a few weeks, anywhere from PN1 to currently PN7, but PZ has always stayed 0.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
And here I am hoping / waiting to get upgraded on the flight to AKL with 25+ open seats about 15 days out. PN has been > 0 for a few weeks, anywhere from PN1 to currently PN7, but PZ has always stayed 0.
That should clear.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by milypan
I'm seeing lots of availability on HA for around $3700 RT. Yes, you have to do a 2.5 hr connection in HNL, but in the original poster's scenario you were already taking many inconvenient routings on other flights just to get a GPU to use on this nonstop flight. Thus the net convenience of not chasing status in this case would still be higher. But as always, YMMV.
The Hawaiian flights are not every day of the week and as you mention 2.5hr layover in HNL. Not horrible, but opportunities to misconnect. The UA W fare is typically around ~$1600, so there is still a $2K saving RT/ $1K savings each way to stick with United's loyalty game and gamble on GPU's. I prefer the timing of the United flight as well, effectively red-eye, depart SFO ~11pm, arrive AKL 7 am a day later. You are effectively losing a working day on the HA flight, leaving SFO ~9 am, arriving AKL 9:45 pm. But maybe the reverse is true for the return.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by milypan
And SFO-AKL in W is still $2,000 or less.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The Hawaiian flights are not every day of the week and as you mention 2.5hr layover in HNL..
I don’t dispute that UA and NZ are better flights in this case. But the original question was whether it is worth it to pay higher prices and/or take bad flight times/routes over dozens of flights in order to get a few GPUs to use on SFO-AKL. My point is simply that the savings vs a paid J fare are nowhere near the $6k suggested by another poster. They are more like $2k.

The broader point is that J fares on many international routes have fallen significantly in the last few years. That makes upgrade instruments and premium cabin awards considerably less valuable, both because there’s less chance to actually cash them in and because the alternative cost of buying a J class ticket is now lower.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Anytime when 20 seats in business class open about 30 min to departure, but UA refuses to release saver J award, you have to be suspicious.

Especially if the only people on upgrade standby list are UA employees. Like in a recent thread about SFO-AKL.

These people have friends in Inventory Management intentionally blocking I/IN so the employees can enjoy free ride in business class while UA leaves miles (liability) on the table.

Or sell the passes for money.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992

These people have friends in Inventory Management intentionally blocking I/IN so the employees can enjoy free ride in business class while UA leaves miles (liability) on the table.
Do you have any proof? It seems like you are making wild accusations. United is a private company that can do what ever it so pleases with their seats.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
That would lead to termination for both the passriders and employees manipulating the inventory just as the employees from the original post were fired. Not to mention the gate agents, who'd also have to be in on the deal, who didn't run the upgrades when the seats opened up.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Do you have any proof? It seems like you are making wild accusations. United is a private company that can do what ever it so pleases with their seats.
I was merely suspicious.

I mean, how do you explain 16 J seats are open when the flight is about to close the door but there is no saver award?

Meanwhile, 16 UA employees are on standby, nobody else is even on upgrade list. Yet PN=PZ=IN=I=0.

The only way to ensure these UA employees to ride in business class for free, is to block these spaces by IM.

Nobody can redeem miles for the saver award, and nobody buying tickets 24 hours before departure can upgrade because you can't even request waitlisted if PZ=0.

Yes United is a private company, but this kind of behavior (if true) hurts the bottom line of United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.