Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Value of 1K when GPUs don't clear despite 20+ open seats?

Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by david_oz

Personally I modified my behavior (with some rare exceptions) by only paying for W when there is PZ available, and Im ok with the fact that I have to be much more flexible in timing and routing to make it work.
Confused -- how does W factor into this? I thought W was just one of the generic discount coach fare classes?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zoned_post_meridiem
Confused -- how does W factor into this? I thought W was just one of the generic discount coach fare classes?
W is the minimum fare class needed to apply a GPU on long-haul/Polaris flights.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I have little sympathy for the OP. Airlines are there to make money. As part of revenue protection it might be wiser for the airline to leave J-seats empty to entice passenger to purchase J-tickets next time. If it too easy to upgrade, then why would passenger buy J-fares anymore?
US to AKL roundtrip can be purchased for EUR 3-4k if bought in advance.

but then it becomes reasonable for frequent flyers to investigate other airlines where that loyalty may be rewarded with better perks (such as upgrades that are more likely to clear).
​​​​​​​Which other airline is offering a better upgrade programme for status passengers?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K
Lots of interesting points and counter points here. Thank you for engaging. All major airlines have GPU (or equivalent) policies for a reason: those loyal flyers account for a large share of the airlines' business. So the key question is whether not letting GPUs clear within T-24 even when 20+ seats are open is a profit-maximizing strategy for united.

Let's think about the extremes just to make this point clearly:

At one extreme, selling all open Polaris seats to the highest bidders until the last minute, before allowing any GPUs to be redeemed, is not optimal because then GPUs become virtually worthless, and the loyalty unravels.

At the other extreme, I admit that clearing GPUs when there are only, say, 3 open seats is not optimal for united because they'd like to wait and see if someone buys a ticket last minute.

So the optimal strategy is somewhere in between these extremes. I'm only arguing that choosing to not allow GPU redemption when there are 20+open seats and trying to sell them, is not optimal strategy because it does not engender loyalty. It sounds like others feel differently

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2019 at 1:56 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok that's more accurate. But freshly applied GPUs will jump the waitlist if the waitlist is not being cleared.

Also, I thought one couldn't remove an instrument within 24hrs, so one is effectively stuck on the waitlist?

I 've removed my upgrades shortly before check-in at T-24:10, and reapplied 15 minutes later for immediate clearance.
This is no longer possible inside T-24, if my past three experiences are any indication.

Every time I try to call it in in the past couple of months, the PZ space magically disappears before they can apply it.

It happens if I'm trying to add a new one inside T-24, or if I'm trying to SDC onto a flight with PZ space. Each and every time I call at some otherworldly hour (2am or so), the space is gone before I can get upgraded and others magically appear on the "post check in UG list". I can only conclude that they are actually running the UG list dynamically (as they should) before applying anything new. Bad for me, but good for fairnness overall.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mobarak
Lots of interesting points and counter points here. Thank you for engaging. All major airlines have GPU (or equivalent) policies for a reason: those loyal flyers account for a large share of the airlines' business.
You do realize AA and DL SEVERELY restrict the earning of those certificates, where on UA the earning of GPU is unlimited (RPU's were unlimited until this year) so one could say you have a lot more competition for using them as well. I know I generally use all of mine every year (12-16 typically) and extremely happy with the program. So far you have mentioned one data point, how many other times have you tried and not been able to use etc. SFO-SIN is extremely difficult to use, period. Alot of EU destinations as well, but some EU destinations are extremely easy to use, so fly there, then take a train or a small hop to get where you are going. I know this wasn't an option flying to AKL, but using a single data point to say the 1K program and GPU use in general sucks is a bit short sighted.

There is a thread labeled GPU and RPU are worthless, but as yours actually worked, you can't post in that thread for this particular instance, AA and DL forums have the same thread as well.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by warakorn
Which other airline is offering a better upgrade programme for status passengers?
I suspect that's a rhetorical question, but if we're talking about airlines which offer long-haul flights (i.e., excluding AS), the answer is "none."
findark likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I came, I stayed 34 years as 1K or GS and then I left, never looking back.
RichardInSF and twomonger like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The nail in the coffin for me was not clearing on a GUM-HNL flight after being number one on the waitlist with 4 seats left. They slowly got sold one by one from 3 hour til departure until 45 mins when the flight showed fully booked. I never was even offered a buy up.

That was in December 2017. I didnt even try to use my 6 GPUs in 2018 and just bought the cheapest biz class for my routings. I enjoyed a mix of CX, DL, UA, MU and BA last year. Ill continue the same this year. They have every right to take away the benefits of 1K, just as I have every right to spread my money around.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
​​​​​​​Which other airline is offering a better upgrade programme for status passengers?
For long-haul, AA. Doesn't require a minimum fare class and AA doesn't aggressively market TODs.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:14 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The nail in the coffin for me was not clearing on a GUM-HNL flight after being number one on the waitlist with 4 seats left. They slowly got sold one by one from 3 hour til departure until 45 mins when the flight showed fully booked. I never was even offered a buy up.

That was in December 2017. I didnt even try to use my 6 GPUs in 2018 and just bought the cheapest biz class for my routings. I enjoyed a mix of CX, DL, UA, MU and BA last year. Ill continue the same this year. They have every right to take away the benefits of 1K, just as I have every right to spread my money around.
one doesnt need to be marketed an offer to buy up in order to buy up. Many customers inquire about buying up without an offer being made to them. And many do. Next time, if youre contemplating and havent been solicited, you can ask if there is availability, and what is the price. Guessing, bring #1 on the list, you were not looking for a buy up chance, but its possible
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair

one doesnt need to be marketed an offer to buy up in order to buy up. Many customers inquire about buying up without an offer being made to them. And many do. Next time, if youre contemplating and havent been solicited, you can ask if there is availability, and what is the price. Guessing, bring #1 on the list, you were not looking for a buy up chance, but its possible
Decent advice but that means waiting until the airport when many others have already been offered buy ups at online checkin. Anyhow its a moot point as Ive gone to buying the cheapest biz outright and avoiding the lottery. The CZ under $2k China-USA roundtrips are nice now as are the $2.5k Cathay flights.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
If it too easy to upgrade, then why would passenger buy J-fares anymore?
Presumably because GPU are only accessible in very limited #s to United's most loyal and valuable customers. They exist solely as a reward for their loyalty, to let them upgrade to J a few times. Most of these customers likely buy J fares the rest of the year, which is how they earned their status and the GPUs in the first place. If they aren't easy to use and are essentially useless, then why issue them? Without this benefit, usually the most valuable for top tier status, then why bother being loyal to UA?

Originally Posted by Catbert10
For long-haul, AA. Doesn't require a minimum fare class and AA doesn't aggressively market TODs.
AA EXP here. This is true, but C space is tough to find in advance and we only get 4 SWU for 100k EQM. I managed to use all of mine with diligent EF searching, including both ways on NYC-CDG-NYC this summer, but it's a lot of work to find space in advance if you're not willing to let it ride and hope for the best.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2019 at 7:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boss315
I came, I stayed 34 years as 1K or GS and then I left, never looking back.
Can I just say that with 34 years as 1K or GS, I'm surprised you are only 1.5MM? I would have figured at least 2MM even accounting for the majority of that travel being in paid front cabin with fare bonuses. I despair that my 10 years as 1K and 8 as 1P before that has only scored me 1.2MM miles, and that I typically get only 60-70k BIS each year despite reaching 1K and thus am decades away from 3MM and lifetime 1K, but 34 and only lifetime Gold... ouch.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastair

I've seen a few mention they haven't gotten a buy up offer if they used a GPU - what I have found what works for me, to see what the buy up offer is if not explicitly given is go to the app - bring up your itinerary, click change seats - now, try to pick a seat in the premium cabin - at least for me, it tells what the buy up is....
IAH-OIL-TRASH and fastair like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.