Will UA ever sell Premium Plus on transcon?

Old Mar 3, 19, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP
Will UA ever sell Premium Plus on transcon?

I just flew the 787-10 in Premium Plus which was sold as ordinary Economy Plus. Amazing value. How long will this last?

And if I book a Premium Plus seat now, will I keep the seat, even if UA starts selling Premium Plus as a separate cabin before the flight's departure date?
Old Mar 3, 19, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There are no currently known plans to sell PE on domestic flights. It is generally believed that the 781 flying on the p.s. routes is temporary as they prove the frames that get delivered (similar to when 77Ws with Polaris seats did so). If they change their mind about selling a separate cabin, you will probably lose your seat, but I would think it's unlikely this would happen on short notice.
Old Mar 3, 19, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The chances that UA creates a soft product for domestic PE within the time-frame in which it sells tickets is pretty low. Given the pricing on p.s. routes, it is hard to see how one would viably create the demand for a separate cabin on a short-term basis.
Old Mar 3, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The chances that UA creates a soft product for domestic PE within the time-frame in which it sells tickets is pretty low. Given the pricing on p.s. routes, it is hard to see how one would viably create the demand for a separate cabin on a short-term basis.
UA did say in one of their latest quarterly reports that they were exploring domestic PE.

There are a lot of companies that have J international / Y domestic policies. While I canít buy F on transcons, I imagine if there was a PE option, that I would be able to go for that.
Old Mar 3, 19, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by UAflyer93 View Post
UA did say in one of their latest quarterly reports that they were exploring domestic PE.

There are a lot of companies that have J international / Y domestic policies. While I canít buy F on transcons, I imagine if there was a PE option, that I would be able to go for that.
First class is gone; UA three-class planes are phased out. Long live UA three class planes! (2-3 years, in the next economic downturn, UA will expand the Premium Plus as companies scale back J spend.
Old Mar 3, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Related, any chance that dreamliners on the transcon routes over the summer get swapped for the disgusting 777-2's or 757s? I'm booking a routing specifically to use the premium plus on a transcon, and would not be thrilled with a swap.
Old Mar 3, 19, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UAflyer93 View Post

"Domestic PE" doesn't make sense outside of the context of p.s. with guaranteed flatbed service. PE and domestic F are basically the same product already... I don't think anyone is going to try to split the difference with 2-3 PE behind 2-2 F.

Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
Related, any chance that dreamliners on the transcon routes over the summer get swapped for the disgusting 777-2's or 757s? I'm booking a routing specifically to use the premium plus on a transcon, and would not be thrilled with a swap.
Yes. Less likely within 90 days, but anything is possible.
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:05 pm

Sales of PE on transcontinental routes appears on the UA award/upgrade chart now.
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren View Post
Sales of PE on transcontinental routes appears on the UA award/upgrade chart now.
There's also a listing for pricing UA-metal awards from Southern Africa to Central Asia, but the doesn't mean that UA will be opening Nairobi - Tashkent service any time soon.

UA may well decide to sell the p.s. flights as Y/P+/J, but the chart itself isn't evidence that any kind of decision has been made.
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:57 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by findark View Post
"Domestic PE" doesn't make sense outside of the context of p.s. with guaranteed flatbed service. PE and domestic F are basically the same product already... I don't think anyone is going to try to split the difference with 2-3 PE behind 2-2 F.
UA could do what DL does by treating E+ as Domestic PE.
Old Sep 27, 19, 10:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
With United will begin selling Premium Plus for domestic flights beginning October 2?, will close this thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread