FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Will UA ever sell Premium Plus on transcon? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1959073-will-ua-ever-sell-premium-plus-transcon.html)

davie355 Mar 3, 19 2:17 am

Will UA ever sell Premium Plus on transcon?

I just flew the 787-10 in Premium Plus which was sold as ordinary Economy Plus. Amazing value. How long will this last?

And if I book a Premium Plus seat now, will I keep the seat, even if UA starts selling Premium Plus as a separate cabin before the flight's departure date?

findark Mar 3, 19 9:46 am

There are no currently known plans to sell PE on domestic flights. It is generally believed that the 781 flying on the p.s. routes is temporary as they prove the frames that get delivered (similar to when 77Ws with Polaris seats did so). If they change their mind about selling a separate cabin, you will probably lose your seat, but I would think it's unlikely this would happen on short notice.

Often1 Mar 3, 19 10:33 am

The chances that UA creates a soft product for domestic PE within the time-frame in which it sells tickets is pretty low. Given the pricing on p.s. routes, it is hard to see how one would viably create the demand for a separate cabin on a short-term basis.

UAflyer93 Mar 3, 19 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30842410)
The chances that UA creates a soft product for domestic PE within the time-frame in which it sells tickets is pretty low. Given the pricing on p.s. routes, it is hard to see how one would viably create the demand for a separate cabin on a short-term basis.

UA did say in one of their latest quarterly reports that they were exploring domestic PE.

There are a lot of companies that have J international / Y domestic policies. While I canít buy F on transcons, I imagine if there was a PE option, that I would be able to go for that.

cardinal98 Mar 3, 19 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyer93 (Post 30842670)
UA did say in one of their latest quarterly reports that they were exploring domestic PE.

There are a lot of companies that have J international / Y domestic policies. While I canít buy F on transcons, I imagine if there was a PE option, that I would be able to go for that.

First class is gone; UA three-class planes are phased out. Long live UA three class planes! (2-3 years, in the next economic downturn, UA will expand the Premium Plus as companies scale back J spend.

gold23 Mar 3, 19 3:34 pm

Related, any chance that dreamliners on the transcon routes over the summer get swapped for the disgusting 777-2's or 757s? I'm booking a routing specifically to use the premium plus on a transcon, and would not be thrilled with a swap.

findark Mar 3, 19 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyer93 (Post 30842670)

"Domestic PE" doesn't make sense outside of the context of p.s. with guaranteed flatbed service. PE and domestic F are basically the same product already... I don't think anyone is going to try to split the difference with 2-3 PE behind 2-2 F.

Originally Posted by gold23 (Post 30843404)
Related, any chance that dreamliners on the transcon routes over the summer get swapped for the disgusting 777-2's or 757s? I'm booking a routing specifically to use the premium plus on a transcon, and would not be thrilled with a swap.

Yes. Less likely within 90 days, but anything is possible.

Long Zhiren Mar 4, 19 1:05 pm

Sales of PE on transcontinental routes appears on the UA award/upgrade chart now.

jsloan Mar 4, 19 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren (Post 30846936)
Sales of PE on transcontinental routes appears on the UA award/upgrade chart now.

There's also a listing for pricing UA-metal awards from Southern Africa to Central Asia, but the doesn't mean that UA will be opening Nairobi - Tashkent service any time soon. ;)

UA may well decide to sell the p.s. flights as Y/P+/J, but the chart itself isn't evidence that any kind of decision has been made.

Austin787 Mar 4, 19 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30843816)
"Domestic PE" doesn't make sense outside of the context of p.s. with guaranteed flatbed service. PE and domestic F are basically the same product already... I don't think anyone is going to try to split the difference with 2-3 PE behind 2-2 F.

UA could do what DL does by treating E+ as Domestic PE.

WineCountryUA Sep 27, 19 10:58 pm

With United will begin selling Premium Plus for domestic flights beginning October 2?, will close this thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator