Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT-GUM-HKG (both segments UA, Boeing 737) crazy or OK?

Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Is this a common routing or did I come across an idiosyncrasy? This routing saves a ton of cash, but is twice the distance of flying Tokyo to Hong Kong nonstop.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
makes sense. enjoy the extra PQMs. as a gold, upgrades are relatively easy on both routes, although i’ve only flown NRT-GUM on the 772.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
Is this a common routing or did I come across an idiosyncrasy? This routing saves a ton of cash, but is twice the distance of flying Tokyo to Hong Kong nonstop.
It's not a common routing, but there's nothing wrong with it, either, provided that you have legal authority to enter GUM; since your profile lists SFO/SJC as home, I'm guessing you do. GUM is an easy airport for connections. That said, I'm surprised it saved you cash; UA doesn't have any discount fares filed between HKG and NRT.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Maybe they do have discount fares on NRT-GUM and GUM-HKG, and it priced end on end?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Maybe they do have discount fares on NRT-GUM and GUM-HKG, and it priced end on end?
I imagine that's what happened; while most discount UA fares prohibit end-on-end, those don't. That said, even the cheapest fares I see published add to about US$700 RT, whereas the ANA nonstop was about $550 (and HK Express is cheaper still).

There must also have been an inventory issue with the competition on that date.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:04 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
As others have mentioned, as a UA elite you'll be eligible (and will probably clear) the CPU on both segments.
Not sure if UA still has a Tokyo based crew, but they were some of the best when NRT was a major hub!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you think that routing is crazy then I should be institutionalized for taking a 737 all the way from Hong Kong to Newark. HKG-GUM-HNL(via 5 stop island hopper)SFO-ORD-EWR.

Take the cheap fare and enjoy the ride and hopefully an upgrade
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Note the upgrade possibility is likely timing-depending. I'm flying NRT GUM rt next week and J is almost full both ways. I used RPUs and got the outbound right away and now see only one seat open (tho' it's possible some are blocked) and am still waiting for an upgrade on the return. So enjoy it if you can. If not, snag those exit rows or bulk heads. It's not so different from doing something like LAX ORD BOS in 737s.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Could be that the OP is looking at a ticket for Golden Week (last week of April), I've frequently seen UA via GUM to HKG as cheapest during major Japanese holidays. That's about the only time though, otherwise the carriers that fly direct are much more competitive.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I, too, am surprised UA is the cheapest. Have you looked at HK Express or Vanilla (LCCs) who fly the route nonstop?

The GUM-based 737s are essentially LCC-like aircraft. No PTVs, no WiFi. I do like the novelty of flying through GUM, though. Although the airport and especially the lounge leave a bit to be desired.

NRT-GUM is also a crapshoot for an upgrade. As another poster mentioned, it is very day/time specific. The toughest upgrade is the flight that connects from the US-NRT bank.

If UA is the cheapest and you have the time to kill with that routing, go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn’t shun the LCCs who fly direct. Pay for an exit row or bulkhead and get their faster and just as comfortable.
moondog likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
Is this a common routing or did I come across an idiosyncrasy? .
"Common" no, but cheap, yes. I've done this a few times. Nothing wrong with it, other than taking longer and adding a stop.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
yeah I would try to get on the 777 for an UG from Tokyo to GUM I did not receive an upgrade as 1K on the 737 last month.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I used to fly NRT-GUM monthly and never missed an upgrade, even on award tickets. Usually I took the 11am flight from NRT and returned on the flight from GUM around 5pm. I even flew several times when business class was less than half full due to lack of Premiers. I guess the late flight might be harder to upgrade, that makes sense since you'd have a higher likelihood of Premiers connecting from the US, I never took that flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.