Wiki Posts
Search

US credit cards only for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonours Gold, AC 35K, Westjet Gold
US credit cards only for upgrades

Hi - wondering if anyone has experienced this- I am traveling for work and want to upgrade my tickets on my own dime. I get as far as the screen to put in my credit card but I am unable to purchase because I don't have a us credit card.

I called the 1800 number and they said it has been a problem all year and they are unable to do it in the reservation centre either.

Am I stuck?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
How does the system know that it's a non-US credit card?
Have you tried (for kicks) to enter a USA billing address? That sometimes works with United, as their system doesn't [always] check for address verification, and you can "fake" the billing address.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
How does the system know that it's a non-US credit card?
Have you tried (for kicks) to enter a USA billing address? That sometimes works with United, as their system doesn't [always] check for address verification, and you can "fake" the billing address.
The first 6 digits indicate the issuer, so they'll know it's a foreign issuer regardless of address.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
The first 6 digits indicate the issuer, so they'll know it's a foreign issuer regardless of address.
They might know if they bothered checking/verifying. But do they check? As far as I can tell, UA relies on user-inputted billing address only.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
They might know if they bothered checking/verifying. But do they check? As far as I can tell, UA relies on user-inputted billing address only.
I guess the question is what's causing the error - is it having a non-US billing address or a non-US card? I don't know the answer, but it may be worth a try for OP to put in a US address and see what happens.
narvik and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Nope - a US address doesn't work - it is looking for a zip code and only shows US as the country - you can't select a different country
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by hireable
Nope - a US address doesn't work - it is looking for a zip code and only shows US as the country - you can't select a different country
I don't understand.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
Curious... what currency was used to purchase the original ticket?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:03 pm

Have you selected the correct website location i.e. that matches your billing address?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Put your street address, and choose any state, and use a zip code that's the numbers in your postal code followed by 00.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
guess you could buy an amex/visa/MC gift card online and plug in a US address for them.... Maybe
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Curious... what currency was used to purchase the original ticket?
I’d guess this is the issue - ticket was paid for in USD so ancillaries are being charged in US. That’s typical. UA also only lets you use a billing address from the country of the website you are purchasing through.

Calling in to purchase this upgrade should work for the OP...if it’s the currency issue, they should still be able to pay the amount in USD but with foreign card.

Since OP mentions it’s for work, do note this can cause issues if originally booked through a corporate TA, where they may not be able to change ticket if necessary going forward. And also, some TAs may notify the employer about this kind of change, and could cause trouble for employee if they are strict about travel policy.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I don't understand.
The site doesn't allow the selection of a country - it has US and the country and no drop down

Originally Posted by emcampbe

I’d guess this is the issue - ticket was paid for in USD so ancillaries are being charged in US. That’s typical. UA also only lets you use a billing address from the country of the website you are purchasing through.

Calling in to purchase this upgrade should work for the OP...if it’s the currency issue, they should still be able to pay the amount in USD but with foreign card.

Since OP mentions it’s for work, do note this can cause issues if originally booked through a corporate TA, where they may not be able to change ticket if necessary going forward. And also, some TAs may notify the employer about this kind of change, and could cause trouble for employee if they are strict about travel policy.
No - it was purchased by my corporate travel group in Canadian funds with my canadian corporate credit card.

I tried calling in - there was nothing they could do - the agent said it has been an issue since the beginning of the year. She couldn't process a non us credit card either.

Originally Posted by atsak
Put your street address, and choose any state, and use a zip code that's the numbers in your postal code followed by 00.
Tried that - didn't work

Originally Posted by kilo
Have you selected the correct website location i.e. that matches your billing address?
yes - logged in and canada with canadian $$ selected, it makes no difference

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 2, 2019 at 8:53 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member. Suggest using multi-quote feature.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:55 am

The site doesn't allow the selection of a country - it has US and the country and no drop down
I apologize for my difficulty in understanding this fully.
What is stopping you from selecting US if that is the only choice, and using a fictitious US address?

Here's an example address for you:

100 Sample Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07206

Last edited by narvik; Mar 2, 2019 at 2:58 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by AceReport
guess you could buy an amex/visa/MC gift card online and plug in a US address for them.... Maybe
Not sure if any corp would sell a US CC gift card online due to the inherent risk associated with that. And if they do, probably not for buyers outside the US. And even then, probably only using a non-reversible payment method like Bitcoin or retail gift cards. And even then, they will probably offer a very restricted CC that won't work with UA.

Anyway, if OP's story is accurate, then this is yet another thing on the UA IT dept list of things that really need addressing.

What is stopping you from selecting US if that is the only choice, and using a fictitious UA address?
AVS I assume.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.