Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Married segments control for upgrade space?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Married segments control for upgrade space?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Lightbulb Married segments control for upgrade space?

Found something interesting when I was looking for YYZ-IAD-SFO next week, IMO upgrade spaces are always processed segment by segment, but this one blown my mind away.
YYZ-IAD, UA 6197 shows
J2 JN2 C2 D2 Z2 ZN2 P1 PN0 PZ0
IAD-SFO, UA 1893 shows
J7 JN7 C5 D4 Z3 ZN3 P3 PN0 PZ0
But when I search YYZ-SFO and the same combination shows
J2 JN2 C2 D2 Z2 ZN2 P2 PN2 PZ0
What's going on here? Does this mean UA now releasing upgrade space with O&D or married segment control?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I've run into this before; unfortunately what you see is not actionable, so can disregard.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
If it is showing PN2 then there must be PN available on one of those segments, not sure why it would show otherwise. The married segment thing is when you have space available on one segment and it carries over (visually) to the next, even though it isn't truly available.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I've run into this before; unfortunately what you see is not actionable, so can disregard.
This. I don't know what would happen if you applied a GS RPU online though.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
If it is showing PN2 then there must be PN available on one of those segments, not sure why it would show otherwise.
Except that it's not. See my comment above.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, so another UA.com bug.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:28 am

I've seen this a number of times when searching for PZ space. PZ numbers for the long haul international segment change according to the previous married segments.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:48 am

Book and apply the GPU/rpu
Should clear instantly. And if it does not it's you can call and they'll clear it without hesitation.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
You can try to apply an RPU/GPU but it won't matter for two reasons:

1. OP is 1K so unless they are booking a Y/B/M fare, "PN" class is useless to them. They need PZ to open. Or, they need to use a GPU from a GS account.
2. Using a cert (or miles) requires space in each individual flight for the upgrade to clear. Since each flight is showing 0 no upgrade would happen right now. Married segment logic does not apply to upgrade certs.

-RM
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Book and apply the GPU/rpu
Should clear instantly. And if it does not it's you can call and they'll clear it without hesitation.
Nope. When PN/PZ shows on the married segments but NOT on either individual segment, will not be cleared and calling will not help.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:02 am

Nope. When PN/PZ shows on the married segments but NOT on either individual segment, will not be cleared and calling will not help.
I beg to differ, have done this numerous times.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:58 pm

When it was showing available on NEITHER leg individually, but the married segments were showing available? If so, you were very lucky. Wouldn't count on it.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:03 pm

When it was showing available on NEITHER leg individually, but the married segments were showing available? If so, you were very lucky. Wouldn't count on it.
Just looked at it again, I was talking about the opposite scenario where the married segment is what "block" the PN space.
You're right my apologies
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
In the past (2018 and before) I have had many a trip clear segment by segment into R/PZ.

When I was seeing PZ space available on a 2019 flight and no upgrade after several hours (and PZ remained open), I called the 1K Desk.
The agent and her supervisor, insisted I needed to have PZ availability across _all_ segments. I explained that that was not what was on the UA website nor how the system has worked for ages, and I was treated to a discourse on how "those agents" had done illegal things...
I told them I saw PZ availability and that normally re-applying the GPU would have it clear, and then they finally talked to WebSupport and with much grumbling I was upgraded...

My first 2019 itinerary has been fraught with issues like these, I'm composing a lengthy discourse over to 1K Voice - of course they'll rebuke me with not having sent it within 4 hours of landing... :P
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jupper
In the past (2018 and before) I have had many a trip clear segment by segment into R/PZ.

When I was seeing PZ space available on a 2019 flight and no upgrade after several hours (and PZ remained open), I called the 1K Desk.
The agent and her supervisor, insisted I needed to have PZ availability across _all_ segments. I explained that that was not what was on the UA website nor how the system has worked for ages, and I was treated to a discourse on how "those agents" had done illegal things...
I told them I saw PZ availability and that normally re-applying the GPU would have it clear, and then they finally talked to WebSupport and with much grumbling I was upgraded...

My first 2019 itinerary has been fraught with issues like these, I'm composing a lengthy discourse over to 1K Voice - of course they'll rebuke me with not having sent it within 4 hours of landing... :P
It seems you're describing the converse of the topic's situation.

If the 'through' search shows no upgrade space on the connecting option, but a search segment by segment shows upgrade space available on one or more segments, then any segments with space will clear immediately and should have cleared waitlisted upgrades. This is well known.

However, in some cases the through search shows upgrade space while the segment by segment searches show no availability. In this case, it's not clear whether or not it's possible to clear the upgrade, although one poster above says not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.