Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Under the old system, weren't we behind GS "friends and family" as well?
Yes, exactly, that's my point. The change would have been beneficial to 1K if this had changed. But it did not.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Unless I am missing something, we are marginally better off as we are not competing with "friend and family" of 1Ks in higher buckets, etc....
Not much of a gain. Certainly not worth what we lost.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd prefer that mileage redemptions use the old system but certificates use the new system. That would confer E+ and baggage on award tickets while prioritizing passengers using their own GPUs (or traveling jointly on GPUs) over non-GS gifts.
FWIW, I agree on the mileage redemption issue and predominantly this was how I flying my family in the past. I have mixed feelings about the instruments that are gifted. However, as basically everyone has said, the point is kind of moot as R space is as rare as Unicorns.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, in most cases, you won't. GS GPUs clear into PN, not R, and it's common for PN > 0 while R = 0. If PN never opened, I'd expect that a 1K using his/her own GPU would have priority over a non-status member using a gifted GS GPU, but I'm not certain.
I have seen, on numerous occasions, that non-status passenger under GS GPU appeared at bottom of upgrade standby list at airport.

Upgrade never cleared. PN=R=0 throughout.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
I have seen, on numerous occasions, that non-status passenger under GS GPU appeared at bottom of upgrade standby list at airport.

Upgrade never cleared. PN=R=0 throughout.
How do you get that detailed info on the upgrade list? UA employee or affiliate of employee?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
Originally Posted by nomad420
Sadly true, this was yet just another move by UA to further PO elites. I use to fly my mother to visit family with my miles at MY status level, now that is no longer possible. Needless to say my 80 something mother has near zero status (I think she holds a UA visa).
I am 1k and plan to fly to Europe with my wife and daughter on same flight (w fare) and I am planning to use GPU's but we all are on seperate Record Locators.

I assume since we are flying together they will get same priority as me?

Thanks! hope to use up some of them :-)
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vielflieger
I am 1k and plan to fly to Europe with my wife and daughter on same flight (w fare) and I am planning to use GPU's but we all are on seperate Record Locators.

I assume since we are flying together they will get same priority as me?

Thanks! hope to use up some of them :-)
No, their GPU upgrade priority is based on their own status. Change from sponsor's status to flyer's status was effective April 14, 2015. Nothing has changed in the couple of hours since the same question was asked and answered

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 12, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Unfortunately, if the reservation started as a separate PNR, then they will clear based on their own status.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nomad420
How do you get that detailed info on the upgrade list? UA employee or affiliate of employee?
On day of departure, we can see upgrade list.

Non-status pax under GS GPU was at bottom of the list, after few non-revenues.

These few ranked below were pretty sure to be non-revenues since they appeared at both BF and GF upgrade list (3-class PMUA planes).

Needless to say, the non-status pax never had a chance, despite of GS GPU.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

These few ranked below were pretty sure to be non-revenues since they appeared at both BF and GF upgrade list (3-class PMUA planes).

I think this proves the passenger was def not on a GS GPU. All understandings point that GS GPU's clear into PN. The non-status passenger would have had this benefit as well.

Also, there's no way non-revs would clear before a 'paying customer' on a GS GPU. No way at all. Could you imagine a GS sponsoring his/her mother and watching a non-rev get the upgrade? No effing way. It's also a policy violation. Customers on upgrades will clear before non-revs.

Just because a customer appears on BF/GF lists simultaneously does not always indicate non-rev.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K

Whoever was sponsoring the GS GPU (or any GS) could have called global and have this resolved fairly quickly if incorrect; IME the vast majority are excellent. I would think 1K agents should be able to do this as well?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No, their GPU upgrade priority is based on their own status. Change from sponsor's status to flyer's status was effective April 14, 2015. Nothing has changed in the couple of hours since the same question was asked and answered
oops, sorry did not see the earlier post :-) Anyway, good news: I checked various dates (we are somewhat flexible) and found a flight to Europe showing R9!! Jumped on it, got tix reissued in W-class and redeemed 3 GPU's...Score :-) Only one left now
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
oops, sorry did not see the earlier post :-) Anyway, good news: I checked various dates (we are somewhat flexible) and found a flight to Europe showing R9!! Jumped on it, got tix reissued in W-class and redeemed 3 GPU's...Score :-) Only one left now
Flexibility is the best way to overcome UA's stinginess. Well done...but this is the "GPUs are worthless!" thread
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
What else can it mean?

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Just because a customer appears on BF/GF lists simultaneously does not always indicate non-rev.
What else could it mean? United doesn't do "cabin roll" lists like airlines that use other IT departure management systems, so that isn't it. I'm not meaning to sound .....y - I really would like to know what other possibilities it could be.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
What else could it mean? United doesn't do "cabin roll" lists like airlines that use other IT departure management systems, so that isn't it. I'm not meaning to sound .....y - I really would like to know what other possibilities it could be.
I think the most common thing people have said are "displaced passengers". I'm not an expert enough to know what else it could have been. I just know that people have said again and again that showing up on multiple lists is not a 100% guarantee of non-rev.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I think the most common thing people have said are "displaced passengers". I'm not an expert enough to know what else it could have been. I just know that people have said again and again that showing up on multiple lists is not a 100% guarantee of non-rev.
A (paid) premium cabin pax standing by will show up on both the standby list and the upgrade list for their cabin. I don't know if someone standing by for F would show in the J list (I sort of think not, though). For domestic flights, however, this is the other source of double-list pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.