Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Billygreg
In fact I wonder if they ever release R space on Transcons (or even midcons, I can't even get to use them on IAD-Aus on e170s). Is there any way to confirm that there has actually ever been 1 seat released to R at any point on a Transcon in 2017?
R is very rare on long domestic flights, but "ever" is an exaggeration. I cleared two RPUs on p.s. at booking in 4Q16, and have seen open R on several EWR-SFO flights this year. Plus I see R from time to time on SFO/WAS, especially the SFO-IAD flight which gets in after midnight.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Is there any way to confirm that there has actually ever been 1 seat released to R at any point on a Transcon in 2017?
If you are looking for just 1 counterpoint, count me.

There is no denying R especially at prime times and prime routes are exceedingly rare and much reduced from previous years but they are there with a little flexibility.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is there any way to confirm that there has actually ever been 1 seat released to R at any point on a Transcon in 2017?
To echo others, "never" is an overstatement. I was able to upgrade two friends on IAD-SFO using RPUs in December.

But I do think UA is at the point where their marketing of these things is borderline misleading due to the extreme difficulty actually clearing the upgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
YMMV?

I flew LAX-EWR-LAX (cheapest fare available online / usually booked 1-2 months in advanced) 8 times in 2016 and cleared on all but one segment. I usually travel Thurs, Fri, or Sunday. I've rarely (once) found R availability at booking, but by 24 hours I usually clear the waitlist.
I used my two RPU's EWR - LAX and both were available at booking and cleared instantly. That said, both were Saturday flights and I did not find any availability on days other than Sat.

Checking randomly now, I found EWR - SFO available on Sat April 15th, two different flights even.

- Tom
Attached Images  

Last edited by tstauck; Jan 24, 2017 at 6:09 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you are looking for just 1 counterpoint, count me.

There is no denying R especially at prime times and prime routes are exceedingly rare and much reduced from previous years but they are there with a little flexibility.
Ok fine if I want a terrible inconvenient flight time then sure I can find R space. But I don't fly at terrible inconvenient times. I need to be in places at certain times and I would like to be home occasionally. So i don't normally plan West Coast meetings on Sunday morning or fly out to SFO to arrive at 1AM when I have a 9AM meeting the next morning. So yes never is an exaggeration but most trips are not that flexible. And I think UA is breaking their contract with me and every other GS and 1k by making RPUs essentially useless and marketing them as this awesome benefit that we get that makes us special and shows us how much UA loves us when it is a scam that borders on criminal.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
Ok fine if I want a terrible inconvenient flight time then sure I can find R space. But I don't fly at terrible inconvenient times. I need to be in places at certain times and I would like to be home occasionally. So i don't normally plan West Coast meetings on Sunday morning or fly out to SFO to arrive at 1AM when I have a 9AM meeting the next morning. So yes never is an exaggeration but most trips are not that flexible. And I think UA is breaking their contract with me and every other GS and 1k by making RPUs essentially useless and marketing them as this awesome benefit that we get that makes us special and shows us how much UA loves us when it is a scam that borders on criminal.
Had this discussion today with MileagePlus while asking why a failed RPU had not been refunded, then asked why even offer them if they are unusable between hubs, which is what I fly? Of course, there was no helpful response.

Originally Posted by halls120
I agree. I fly IAD-SFO 3-4 times a year, and in looking for flights over the next few months I see no opportunity to confirm an upgrade a purchase using an instrument. In my 16 years flying UA on this route, I've never seen it this bad.
Ditto! Anybody offer any creative solutions other than just add more upgradeable seats?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2017 at 12:35 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
my rate of getting gpus and rpu's refunded automatically is about 25%. usually i have to call and wait on the line for an hour before they redeposit them into my account. I feel they do this on purpose to people to get those who aren't vigilant. same with mile accruals. or maybe their system is really just that bad!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:51 am

They tried that with me too (MP desk telling me on the phone it would take 3 days) following a long conversation about whether they had actually been pulled from my account so they might not be due back. Lots of checking and investigating; 10-20 minutes worth. Enough! How dare they? I wrote the 1K desk. They wrote back within 20 minutes that the RPUs had been redeposited. I checked and they were there.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: UA Gold
i guess we are one of the lucky ones.. 2 GPUs cleared on SFO-EWR in March 2016. 2 GPUs cleared on EWR-GVA for Jan 2, 2 GPUs(that were extended to March) cleared on EWR-PUJ and PUJ-EWR. 1 RPU just cleared for my wife's friend's 1/29 flight. not sure what happened to the last RPU tho...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My last couple of RPUs cleared but was initially waitlisted. Was informed over the weekend that my LAS flight in February cleared. So I have had no issues with RPUs recently, but they are not necessarily clearing at time of booking.

I am still to try and book anything with my GPUs this year but had 100% success last year so expecting the same this year.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
My last 4 RPUs havent cleared and I have had to resort to buying upgrades at check-in.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The OP asked specifically about RPU, not GPU. In my experience, GPU are a different issue, they can still be used if you have flexibility and patience.

RPU are much more challenging to find a worthwhile use these days. There are several threads a week started on this subject.
This year, I've used RPUs to ORD, BWI, and HNL.
It's the same principle as GPU's - learn to find solutions that work.
So instead of flying into IAD or DCA, I went to BWI and took a $7 MARC train into the District. Or instead of sitting in coach to LIH, I'll be flying in a flat bed to HNL and taking an inter-island hop to LIH. These are the tactics that I owe to FT, and this is what I meant when I said that one can learn a lot by listening to the FT sages!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Funny to find this thread. Was on a similar wiki on "how to use them" they may as well just merge them as it basically is the same dismal posts about how worthless they are. I am sitting on 10 GPU and at least 6 RPU's. I am 1K and have tried to use them several times. I have had a couple RPU's clear last minute on a SFO -KOA flight apart from that nothing over the past year. I booked a flight from SFO-MUC NINE MONTHS in advance leaving on a Friday PM and in never cleared. Ended up tortured in a E+ plus seat on the long flight as I couldn't even buy up to Biz on the flight by the time I realized what was happening. After that I said never again. If I can't find any R/PN seats when I book I don't use them. Yes they will probably just expire worthless but I think that is basically what UA wants. When I read about people paying $5K to buy up to 1K for Plat I have to laugh and say save your money. They only thing about 1K is you actually have to fly 1K on UA.... uggghhhh
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
Funny to find this thread. Was on a similar wiki on "how to use them" they may as well just merge them as it basically is the same dismal posts about how worthless they are. I am sitting on 10 GPU and at least 6 RPU's. I am 1K and have tried to use them several times. I have had a couple RPU's clear last minute on a SFO -KOA flight apart from that nothing over the past year. I booked a flight from SFO-MUC NINE MONTHS in advance leaving on a Friday PM and in never cleared. Ended up tortured in a E+ plus seat on the long flight as I couldn't even buy up to Biz on the flight by the time I realized what was happening. After that I said never again. If I can't find any R/PN seats when I book I don't use them. Yes they will probably just expire worthless but I think that is basically what UA wants. When I read about people paying $5K to buy up to 1K for Plat I have to laugh and say save your money. They only thing about 1K is you actually have to fly 1K on UA.... uggghhhh
Actually, you don't have to fly 1K on UA metal to reach 1K. Just under half of my PQM will come from AC, LH, and TG this year.

On your SFO-MUC travail, did you look into R space via FRA, LHR, and then double connections through BRU, AMS, or even MXP? That's how you get to use the GPUs and avoid the disappointment of dying on the waitlist that you set yourself up for.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Unhappy

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
My last 4 RPUs havent cleared and I have had to resort to buying upgrades at check-in.
Consider yourself lucky to at least have that option. Read my post above. Another time when I didn't clear on a trip from SFO-FRA the last minute buy up was embarrassingly high yet I paid it as I was flying with my wife. I don't even want to post the amount

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.