Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
My friend is a ph.D. candidate in computer science at Cal and his head was spinning as I walked through all the variables involved in putting together this kind of itinerary using GPUs. He said "now I know why you get so into this stuff."
I will add that I have assisted my friends who attended "the school across the bay" in making their travel arrangements. Glad to know that someone recognizes the work you put into these itinerary's.

Originally Posted by fumje
It's just a Junior University across the Bay, why would there be any snark?
You guys are the worst! LOL. I will say. Just save it for the game this Saturday. We'll see who's "Junior"
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by mc0107
I've been trying to get some answers pertaining to the last bit of your post. If you've requested a GPU on a reservation and SDC, does the GPU carry over? I've been told numerous times that GPUs can't be applied within 24 hours, but can't get an answer if the SDC returns it and would require a reapplication.

I've got a SIN-LAX-IAH trip coming up and it's filling up, but SIN-SFO-IAH looks a lot more likely so I'd like to try and SDC to that and have my GPU request carry over. Is this a possibility?
Originally Posted by Kacee

That's not correct. They can be applied within 24 hours. They are just not supposed to be waitlisted. Though an accommodating agent may disregard this rule if you're lucky.

But SDC for the upgrade really only works if you're SDC'ing into open R. That's going to be a rarity on any SIN flight.
I ended up making changes at T=72h, and again at T<24h. Both times, no issues with the phone agents to get the GPU's re-applied. Though my data point involved the GPU's clearing instantly into PN (forced by GS phone agent) at T<24h.

None of this can be done online... phone agents only.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I ended up making changes at T=72h, and again at T<24h. Both times, no issues with the phone agents to get the GPU's re-applied. Though my data point involved the GPU's clearing instantly into PN (forced by GS phone agent) at T<24h.

None of this can be done online... phone agents only.
This may be correct for GS and PN. But for lowly 1Ks, it doesn't work. If you have a GPU waitlisted and then you SDC, your GPU does not carry over and it can't be re-waitlisted because by definition you are within 24 hours for the SDC and GPUs can't be waitlisted within 24 hours - it's a catch-22.

The only way it can succeed is if there is open R space on the new flight - then you can SDC and directly re-apply the GPU. But how often is there open R space on a flight at T-24?

If anyone has found a way to work round this, I'd love to hear it. But I haven't.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
SJD-SFO got a TOD at T24 for $699!! Needless to say didn't bite and stood on my GPU. I was initially #1 on the list but may have fallen to #2 by <T6 and didn't get the upgrade. I suspect someone jumped on the the offer but pretty crazy $$$.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by nomad420
SJD-SFO got a TOD at T24 for $699!! Needless to say didn't bite and stood on my GPU. I was initially #1 on the list but may have fallen to #2 by <T6 and didn't get the upgrade. I suspect someone jumped on the the offer but pretty crazy $$$.
Could also have been a SDC that was in paid F.

Originally Posted by alexperi
This may be correct for GS and PN. But for lowly 1Ks, it doesn't work. If you have a GPU waitlisted and then you SDC, your GPU does not carry over and it can't be re-waitlisted because by definition you are within 24 hours for the SDC and GPUs can't be waitlisted within 24 hours - it's a catch-22.

The only way it can succeed is if there is open R space on the new flight - then you can SDC and directly re-apply the GPU. But how often is there open R space on a flight at T-24?

If anyone has found a way to work round this, I'd love to hear it. But I haven't.
R at ToD on a peak travel date, or on the weekly peak travel periods is impossible these days.

I didn't realize that a GPU couldn't be applied at T<24 without R>0... that stinks.

I will be relegated to the cattle cabin (Y) full of 1K's next year, so I had better pay attention to these little details.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by alexperi

DITTO!

I imagine there are plenty of ways to get from A-B on international legs with open seats in J, but the R space is key. Does anyone use Expert Flyer and set alerts for R space? Beg the agent to waitlist the GPU and cross fingers?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:12 am

DITTO!

I imagine there are plenty of ways to get from A-B on international legs with open seats in J, but the R space is key. Does anyone use Expert Flyer and set alerts for R space? Beg the agent to waitlist the GPU and cross fingers?
Yes I do. I set it to alert for both R and P. My searches are for int'l itineraries, and I have been using this service for most of the year... only had it alert me once in about 15 queries (including the P searches). Yikes!
mc0107 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I will be relegated to the cattle cabin (Y) full of 1K's next year, so I had better pay attention to these little details.
We will welcome you to the game of the Devil's pińata. The 1K benefits are there for the taking. A lot of them are hanging 20 feet above you and you have a 2' stick.
tryathlete and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes I do. I set it to alert for both R and P. My searches are for int'l itineraries, and I have been using this service for most of the year... only had it alert me once in about 15 queries (including the P searches). Yikes!
EF doesn't provide R alerts. It has no access to that information from UA.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DITTO!

EF does not have access to R space. You can set an alert for it, but it'll never trigger.

The best you can do is set an alert for I space. R should be* >= I, so if your alert triggers, you should be able to get an upgrade -- but you'll miss situations where R > 0 and I = 0.

* I feel like we've seen an occasional report of I > 0, R = 0, but, in the vast majority of cases, UA will open the buckets in order.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Could also have been a SDC that was in paid F.
No question, probably other options as well. Still kind of a high price ToD for a crummy upgrade and a 2.5 hr flight. Not supper familiar with the route but maybe that is what people are paying out of Cabo.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
If you have a GPU waitlisted and then you SDC, your GPU does not carry over and it can't be re-waitlisted because by definition you are within 24 hours for the SDC and GPUs can't be waitlisted within 24 hours - it's a catch-22.
I didn't know that GPUs wouldn't carry over when SDC. Once the original flight I booked was fully booked in J, so I requested SDC to an earlier flight with 3 J seats still open. The agent did move my GPU to the new earlier flight (I was still waitlisted afterwards) and it was cleared at the gate. So it isn't the norm?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bdw1120
The agent did move my GPU to the new earlier flight (I was still waitlisted afterwards) and it was cleared at the gate. So it isn't the norm?
No it's technically against the rules. Not unheard of for agents to do you a favor and move the waitlisted instrument though.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:40 am

No question, probably other options as well. Still kind of a high price ToD for a crummy upgrade and a 2.5 hr flight. Not supper familiar with the route but maybe that is what people are paying out of Cabo.
I've flown that one in years past coming off vacation going straight to work in the bay area.... used to be an easy CPU clear as a 1K.

Times have changed.

I agree... $699 is steep for OLCI upgrade for that route... would be surprised if that last spot disappeared due to someone buying at this price.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
That's insane. AS offers TOD at check-in for $50 on this route.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.