Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by villox
I don't think the EWR-BOM cancellation was out of eagerness to better use the aircraft. The FAA banned overflights of Iran. With both Pakistan and Iran closed, was there really any way to keep operating the flight? They flew the last EWR-BOM aircraft home via HNL.
I'll give you that they probably could not operate it nonstop, but certainly if India was that lucrative of a market for UA they could have done something like a FRA-DEL/BOM tag flight.

That being said, you're right that it would be much harder to do something like that. It's just convenient it also comes at a time when UA is desperate for frames because of the MAX cancellations.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
If the market was not lucrative why even continue or why not reduce the frequency ? The ball is in UA's court now, they can start back the operations in about 2 months (Sep 15 time frame), why delay till Oct 26 and miss out on the extra revenue.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K
Just talked to 1K desk and United is now reevaluating the cancellations into October.
Advised to wait and see before changing my 10/9 EWR-DEL flight.
Fingers crossed since it was (2) one ways with GPU’s applied, very difficult and expensive to replace.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by villox
I just flew EWR-ORD on a PMCO 777 a few weeks ago.

I don't think the EWR-BOM cancellation was out of eagerness to better use the aircraft. The FAA banned overflights of Iran. With both Pakistan and Iran closed, was there really any way to keep operating the flight? They flew the last EWR-BOM aircraft home via HNL.

Yeah, UA couldn’t physically fly without a ground stop which adds time and money. Now that Pakistan is reopened I bet UA will reverse the cancelations.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by findark
I'll give you that they probably could not operate it nonstop, but certainly if India was that lucrative of a market for UA they could have done something like a FRA-DEL/BOM tag flight.

That being said, you're right that it would be much harder to do something like that. It's just convenient it also comes at a time when UA is desperate for frames because of the MAX cancellations.
They already tried the DEL-FRA-EWR option, and speaking with a few colleagues who did it, it wasn't great. It had all the drawbacks of a connecting flight with none of the benefits (ability to get off the plane, maybe take a shower, additional catering). Probably why they canceled it. Even the LH options via Germany were affected. You can't promise a nonstop but expect to provide a connection on in indefinite basis.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: united
Pakistan just reopened the airspace.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/07/pakistan-reopens-airspace-months-india-standoff-190716062219180.html
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Just called regarding a reservation I had in late September and they said they are re-examining all cancelations post September 3 so I was told to hold on to my reservation for now. Looks like these may start sooner than Oct 26.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Just called regarding a reservation I had in late September and they said they are re-examining all cancelations post September 3 so I was told to hold on to my reservation for now. Looks like these may start sooner than Oct 26.
Sept 5 it looks like folks. Enough time for bookings and ops, sounds completely reasonable

Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by PanAmOneTwo

Sept 5 it looks like folks. Enough time for bookings and ops, sounds completely reasonable

There is now a flight showing bookable to both DEL and BOM starting Sept 6.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
The latest from the internal newsletter! Great news!

After reviewing and re-evaluating plans based on the reopening of Pakistani airspace, our Network Operations and Planning teams have determined that we will resume daily nonstop service between EWR and DEL (New Delhi) and BOM (Mumbai) on Sept. 6, 2019 (eastbound).

We are excited to get back to connecting our customers and employees between the United States and India in September, and we’re looking forward to starting brand-new service between SFO and DEL in December.

Our Customer Service team will be reaching out to customers who may have canceled or rescheduled their travel in the last 24 hours with information about the newly announced service date and to offer new booking options.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
More about the resumption here: https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...hoo&yptr=yahoo
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
6th September resumption of BOM and DEL was also confirmed by Kirby (or was it Nocella) on this morning’s earnings call. In answer to a question on deciding on when to resume operations Kirby explained that 9/6 was the time they could sell enough tickets on BOM/DEL to make the flights viable.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
6th September resumption of BOM and DEL was also confirmed by Kirby (or was it Nocella) on this morning’s earnings call. In answer to a question on deciding on when to resume operations Kirby explained that 9/6 was the time they could sell enough tickets on BOM/DEL to make the flights viable.
Confirmed by email today. Nonstop EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM restart 9/6. Included reference to seasonal SFO-DEL starting December 5th with 789 service.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Kirby explained that 9/6 was the time they could sell enough tickets on BOM/DEL to make the flights viable.
That is seriously BS in my opinion.

The fact that Jet Airways is now out of the picture and supply is so heavily reduced, they could even start-up in a week if they marketed the restart properly...they could even price slightly lower than other carriers - and lo, and behold, they would have full flights! (Yes, I know they *might* be revenue-sharing with LH group, etc. (probably only Swiss, not LH), but they can make it work)

Edited to Add: Even FAs are biting at the bit to restart flying these sectors!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA
Reports saying Pakistan will partially close their airspace to India flights again:
https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/........1565213402157

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.