Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Why can't UA fly direct like AI, considering they are the same aircraft 773's & same route also? AI has carries more luggage coming 2x per person and cargo.. AI still flies nonstop to USA and India.. .
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Dhamal
Why can't UA fly direct like AI, considering they are the same aircraft 773's & same route also? AI has carries more luggage coming 2x per person and cargo.. AI still flies nonstop to USA and India.. .
AI can fly over Iran. UA can't do that.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dhamal
Because AI has overfly agreements with countries like IRAN, KSA that allow it to provide optimal routing. El-Al recently complained that their flights have to circumvent KSA whereas AI can directly fly to TLV in a shorter time.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bman1002
AI can fly over Iran. UA can't do that.
This is not true. UA can (and does) fly over Iran. In fact, UA 82 (EWR-DEL) flew over Iran just yesterday: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...110Z/KEWR/VIDP
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
If you look at the flight radar data and flight pattern its the same pattern as UA, AI is flying in the Indian ocean via Arabian sea route into Turkey into Europe.. I don't think the are flying over Iran or Iraq for the matter.. B773 are mad to run 22 hours non stop..
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
This is not true. UA can (and does) fly over Iran. In fact, UA 82 (EWR-DEL) flew over Iran just yesterday: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...110Z/KEWR/VIDP
Looks like the same tonight (the flight currently airborne)! (Source: Text filed route plotted on Skyvector.)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:45 pm

Just got an email from United:

We’re sorry to let you know that we have suspended our operations to and from Delhi over the next two weeks because of airspace closures over South Asia. We know that this was not part of your travel plans so we will work with you to get you on your way. The good news is that we'll waive all those change fees, and even offer you a full refund online if you need one. We are working hard on finding other options for you and will attempt to call you soon.
This is for my flight to Delhi on Sunday, April 7. Looks like flights are cancelled to Delhi starting April 5. Trying to see how United can get me there.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:14 pm

United canceled flights to DEL starting tomorrow.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: MP Gold, Hertz President's Circle, PC Platinum Elite, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by msantosnj
Just got an email from United:

This is for my flight to Delhi on Sunday, April 7. Looks like flights are cancelled to Delhi starting April 5. Trying to see how United can get me there.

Same thing. My flight is actually on 18th April from Delhi to Newark but I got the email anyway. I am on hold trying to reroute even though the rep said currently they have suspended ops till 10th April only, which is slightly contradictory to the email.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:38 pm

Agreed. I'm due to fly back from Delhi on April 15. Got booked EWR to BOM for April 6 and then Air India up to Delhi on the 8th.

The phone agent said the return should be fine. We shall see if I have to scramble again. At least I was able to have my flight changed and keep my business class seat.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Currently, only DEL is suspended. BOM will apparently fly nonstop as of today.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Message Company sent to Pilots and cabin crews

Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we currently are unable to operate our flights between EWR and DEL (New Delhi) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning Friday, we will suspend the service for two weeks but will continue to closely monitor the situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We are continuing to operate our EWR-BOM (Mumbai) service; nonstop flying on that route resumes today.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I find it interesting UA will offer $250 ETCs vs. adding an extra meal service (which is really the only controllable variable between the delayed departure and diversion into FRA/MUC). I guess UA figures they can generate more goodwill with ETCs and not everyone will bother to complain.
I got the offer. I think it was $300 without ever complaining. I think they were just sending it to everyone.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
United Temporarily Suspends EWR to DEL Service

I wanted to see how United is handling placing first class passengers on Partner flights, issues people are encountering. I am also curious as to how United is handling those who are just outside the two week suspension period. Is United being proactive and allowing those individuals to change their schedules.

I am a United GS member and traveling to the Maldives on May 7 via DEL. I called the GS number today and was told to wait a few weeks as they are hoping to have the issue resolved but I am concerned that all the seats will be taken on partner airlines given the current situation.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:18 pm

Connecting with LH in FRA seems to be a reasonable option.

The waiver allows full refunds of nonref tickets (very rare for a waiver) so that may be an option if UA doesn't cooperate.

May 7 is not "just outside" but way outside of the scope of the waiver though, it currently only covers up to Apr 19. I understand why UA suggested waiting.

Pakistan is slowly making concessions, afaik they opened up two airways for limited flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.