Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Why is United suspending the flights.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why is United suspending the flights.
Strong seasonal winds increasing flying times, coupled with the no-fly-over-Pakistan, with complications of crew time-outs.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: United Gold
I don’t understand the crew timeout issue.

can’t they just staff relief crews like other long haul flights?what am I missing?
Dhamal likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hscottm

can’t they just staff relief crews like other long haul flights?what am I missing?
I have the same question. How do the crews work the SFO-SIN flights and what's different about these that the crew times out? Even with the re-route around Pakistani airspace, wouldn't DEL-EWR be shorter than SFO-SIN?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I have the same question. How do the crews work the SFO-SIN flights and what's different about these that the crew times out? Even with the re-route around Pakistani airspace, wouldn't DEL-EWR be shorter than SFO-SIN?
The 789 has longer range than the 772 does. I am a bit surprised that at 7,324 miles, it would seem that the sCO 772 has some mileage to spare (EWR-HKG, which it used to fly, clocks north of 8,000 miles), but I guess it's enough to make it tricky.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good questions to ask here:

United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:59 pm

​​​​​This is a crew legality issue. Flights westbound and eastbound for DEL exceed the maximum FAR flight duty period (FDP). The FAA hasn't granted us an FRMS exemption for these flights like they have with the SYD and SIN flights.

the FDP can also be dependant on departure time. The HKG flights leave much earlier in the day, so crew fatigue is viewed as less of a risk compared to the late evening departures. Hence the more restrictive FDP. If the India flight left 3 hours earlier, their FDP would be extended.

There are a lot of details and specifics within FAR 117 and the pilot contract that dictate legality and contractual requirements. I am no expert of either of the two, but I have a high level of understanding.

The DEL/BOM flights are the most restrictive crew flights in the airline due to a combination of departure times + layover rest which dictate their required duty periods.

It has become too costly to run the DEL stops, while under the microscope of the FAA and DOT regarding the legality of the flight. It's just safe to cancel the flights and revisit them when conditions allow us to operate the flight safely, legally and efficiently.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
The 789 has longer range than the 772 does. I am a bit surprised that at 7,324 miles, it would seem that the sCO 772 has some mileage to spare (EWR-HKG, which it used to fly, clocks north of 8,000 miles), but I guess it's enough to make it tricky.
This isn't an aircraft range issue. This is a crew legality issue. The 777's are perfectly capable to operate these flights (DEL/BOM) with the airspace restrictions, the legal crew time isn't. (I explained why in the previous post)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 3:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by Nstaskey
I wanted to see how United is handling placing first class passengers on Partner flights, issues people are encountering.
Which First Class passengers on United? I believe to understand United got rid of First Class. Rebooking in Business shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by athome; Apr 6, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
Sorry I mean Business Class - Just got off the phone with United Global Services; my trip is the first week of May via DEL to the Maldives. United is not allowing me to change my routing until after the 19th, when in when they will know more. As a Global Services member, I am very disappointed as I want to change my routing now as I can't take the chance of missing a connection to the Maldives. If the schedule gets cancelled past the 19th, I can see a big cluster !@#$ which could all have been prevented if they allowed some flexibility now.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:16 am

Looks like UA49 today (Sunday April 14 IST) out of Mumbai is cancelled and the plane is heading to Newark via Frankfurt on Tuesday.

I'm on 49 on Monday the 15th and got notice we are now delayed, with a stop in Munich. I guess the direct flights are gone again due to the conflict.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by msantosnj
Looks like UA49 today (Sunday April 14 IST) out of Mumbai is cancelled and the plane is heading to Newark via Frankfurt on Tuesday.

I'm on 49 on Monday the 15th and got notice we are now delayed, with a stop in Munich. I guess the direct flights are gone again due to the conflict.
Iran is closed again for UAL operations as the white house and the Iran government are having a name calling spat with eachother again. We closed it for security concerns until the dust settles.
Not sure as to what specifically caused the added tech stop this time around as we were able to operate non-stop for about a week with Iran closed, however it could be do to current headwinds and the flight time exceeding the duty limits on the west bound flights.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:28 pm

Del-ewr

any update from united? I have del ewr flight on 23rd April and 8th may return.
i asked them to reschedule ticket but they want fare difference as flight is not cancelled.

They are ok to wave change fee though.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
Originally Posted by aqua1
any update from united? I have del ewr flight on 23rd April and 8th may return.
i asked them to reschedule ticket but they want fare difference as flight is not cancelled.

They are ok to wave change fee though.
Interesting - Global Services called me this past Friday and told me that it was extended until May 8th and rerouted me through Mumbai for a flight that I had scheduled on May 7th. The Rep told me they received an e-mail about the extension.

Maybe call United today and see what they are telling you.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:58 pm

It's extended through May 9, but if you want to waive difference in fare you need to rebook to/from your original cities by May 16. Any dates after May 16 they will waive the change fee but not the fare difference. Or you can just get a full refund without penalty.

(Looks like they updated the first bullet in the right-most box bot not the second, but the intent is clear.)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nstaskey
Interesting - Global Services called me this past Friday and told me that it was extended until May 8th and rerouted me through Mumbai for a flight that I had scheduled on May 7th. The Rep told me they received an e-mail about the extension.

Maybe call United today and see what they are telling you.
Thanks, they rebooked me via airindia del-jfk flight.
For return lufthansa ewr-muc-del.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.