Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, were currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. Well continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. Were also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
The problem is when they go mx, they'd really rather be at a large airport with a partner than small island in the Atlantic. Some of the flights could push to Canada, but they don't want to mx there either.
That's for sure. When my BA flight LHR-ORD on a 747 realized that they had a problem with the landing gear we were close to KEF. The plane did a U-turn and returned to LHR where the good news is that there was no wind and we landed safely without the operating landing gear under the wings.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Deplane in FRA? UA83

Traveling from DEL to ORD this Saturday. Two questions Assuming Pak Airspace is still closed
1) Will UA be able to rebook via NRT or HKG in order to avoid missed connection in EWR?
2) Do passengers deplane in FRA? If so, will UA be able to put me on the non stop to ORD from FRA?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
Traveling from DEL to ORD this Saturday. Two questions Assuming Pak Airspace is still closed
1) Will UA be able to rebook via NRT or HKG in order to avoid missed connection in EWR?
2) Do passengers deplane in FRA? If so, will UA be able to put me on the non stop to ORD from FRA?
2) No, pax stay on plane in FRA while cleaners clean lavs & empty trash & new ice while new crew takes over. All done with German efficiency. Land in EWR @ 5 hrs late.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
So I just went through this on UA49 Saturday.

After leaving Mumbai ~ 1:30am, we landed in MUC 8 hours and 50 min later. We spent about 1.5 hours on the ground during which we stayed onboard, the plane was serviced and the crew swapped. The pilot explained that the stop in MUC was more about crew timings than fuel. Interestingly the pre-departure announcements in BOM were in English and German!. The Safety video played before takeoff from MUC was subtitled in german, NOT Hindi... kind-of an interesting choice. Overall it was quite painless.

That said, I was very disappointed that the "servicing" of the plane didn't include more food in Polaris.

After takeoff in Mumbai, they served the standard dinner w/ desert. There was a mid flight "cheese" plate available, but no hot-bites. After we took off from MUC, they served the "breakfast" course they usually serve pre-arrival on this route. After that for the remanning 8.5 hours of the flight, there was NO food service at all, other than a few bags of chips available at each galley. Meaning we spent nearly 19 hours on the same aircraft, with one meal at the start, and 1 meal halfway through. I felt it was a bit under-catered for the length of the ordeal.

Meanwhile, the UA APP was also a complete disaster (See below). It actually showed the flight as "canceled" in APP.... but when you actually drilled into it, it showed the correct delay. This made for a very confusing and panicked few moments 24 hours prior to takeoff wondering if my flight had been canceled.

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:05 pm

Ua49

Good to know that we dont have to deplane. Since my visa is expired and i dont have transit visa for germany, i was concerned. So apart from delay, i guess I should land in US.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Ppr1978
Good to know that we dont have to deplane. Since my visa is expired and i dont have transit visa for germany, i was concerned. So apart from delay, i guess I should land in US.
Ppr1978 - Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Originally Posted by LordHamster

After leaving Mumbai ~ 1:30am, we landed in MUC 8 hours and 50 min later. We spent about 1.5 hours on the ground during which we stayed onboard, the plane was serviced and the crew swapped. The pilot explained that the stop in MUC was more about crew timings than fuel. Interestingly the pre-departure announcements in BOM were in English and German!. The Safety video played before takeoff from MUC was subtitled in german, NOT Hindi... kind-of an interesting choice. Overall it was quite painless.

That said, I was very disappointed that the "servicing" of the plane didn't include more food in Polaris.

After takeoff in Mumbai, they served the standard dinner w/ desert. There was a mid flight "cheese" plate available, but no hot-bites. After we took off from MUC, they served the "breakfast" course they usually serve pre-arrival on this route. After that for the remanning 8.5 hours of the flight, there was NO food service at all, other than a few bags of chips available at each galley. Meaning we spent nearly 19 hours on the same aircraft, with one meal at the start, and 1 meal halfway through. I felt it was a bit under-catered for the length of the ordeal.

Meanwhile, the UA APP was also a complete disaster (See below). It actually showed the flight as "canceled" in APP.... but when you actually drilled into it, it showed the correct delay. This made for a very confusing and panicked few moments 24 hours prior to takeoff wondering if my flight had been canceled.

its kinda ridiculous that United wont restock on food at FRA/MUC!!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
I'm on UA 49 this Saturday - A few notes: the app is a disaster still - one page says cancelled, but upon looking at the res deeper in the app, it was there broken up into BOM-MUC and then MUC-EWR. Flight status on a separate page shows still landing on time in EWR, (even with the 2 hr delayed departure, and the fuel stop in MUC). I know it's outside the norm, but UA should hopefully be able to manage app to avoid one page saying on time, one saying canceled and the third showing two segments. A lot of confusion with my co-workers as a group.

Don't mind the stop, in general. The lack of food may become a problem. Two meals with a total flight time, plus fuel stop of almost 20 hrs is very thin. Hope United can fix that!

Last edited by UAgeek71; Mar 21, 2019 at 6:37 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Ppr1978 - Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Thanks
cool site.. got the correct information here. even united customer service was not aware of this diversion. they kept on saying there is an issue with the flight updates but there are no diversions for UA49,, I know that was not true as flightradar was showing its landing in MUC.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
I'm on UA 49 this Saturday - A few notes: the app is a disaster still - one page says cancelled, but upon looking at the res deeper in the app, it was there broken up into BOM-MUC and then MUC-EWR. Flight status on a separate page shows still landing on time in EWR, (even with the 2 hr delayed departure, and the fuel stop in MUC). I know it's outside the norm, but UA should hopefully be able to manage app to avoid one page saying on time, one saying canceled and the third showing two segments. A lot of confusion with my co-workers as a group.

Don't mind the stop, in general. The lack of food may become a problem. Two meals with a total flight time, plus fuel stop of almost 20 hrs is very thin. Hope United can fix that!
They will still cater for the usual 12-14 hour flight plus an additional snack for the on-ground time. With the reduced fuel, they should be able to add food.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LordHamster

I experienced a very similar situation on a UA82 (DEL-EWR) departing 14-Mar (App showing wrong information, diversion to FRA, under-catering, 3 hour delay to depart, 20.5 hours from takeoff to landing). I received an email from United Cares with a link to their compensation site, which didn't recognize my information, so I sent a message to Customer Service.

Was offered an $250 ETC (Paid J & UA-S ... it's been a few years since I enjoyed G or 1K)

Does that sound right?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I find it interesting UA will offer $250 ETCs vs. adding an extra meal service (which is really the only controllable variable between the delayed departure and diversion into FRA/MUC). I guess UA figures they can generate more goodwill with ETCs and not everyone will bother to complain.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
At what point will UA acknowledge that flights will arrive into Newark 5-6 hours late and with an "unadvertised" stop in Germany? This is supposed to continue through April (as was stated up-thread). I booked this route because I wanted the non-stop both ways. I had options with connections in Europe when I booked and passed on them. I understand UA has no/limited control over this, but will they allow a cancel and/or rebook on different dates based on this change? Calls to IK line were met with everything from "no way" to "it is a non-stop flight, what are you talking about?" Thoughts from the FT sages?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I find it interesting UA will offer $250 ETCs vs. adding an extra meal service (which is really the only controllable variable between the delayed departure and diversion into FRA/MUC). I guess UA figures they can generate more goodwill with ETCs and not everyone will bother to complain.
not everyone will complain. The breakage on the certs. And not to mention, $250 was for paid J with status, but if someone in Y is complaining and has no status - probably more likely than the former, they aint getting $250.

But I agree, and do fail to see why they arent catering the India-Germany portion similar to say, an LH flight and then the Germany to US portion like any other E.U. flight.

Last edited by emcampbe; Mar 26, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
The Flight Status that United shows while the plane is flying its second leg is a little annoying!

Pre-departure FRA-EWR the status message reads:

"United Flight 83
Status: We wanted to let you know that because of an air space restriction over South Asia, we will have to fly a longer route which will require us to stop in Frankfurt, Germany. During your short stop in Frankfurt, we will need to replace your crew members because of FAA-mandated crew rest requirements. We appreciate your patience as we work to get you on your way."

That seems pretty accurate and descriptive.

However, once the flight leaves, the message takes on a much more ambiguous tone:

"United Flight 83
Status: Your flight departed late because we had to resolve an unexpected operational issue. We value your time and we're sorry for the inconvenience. (In Flight - Estimated to Arrive 7 Hours 28 Minutes Late)"

A little disconcerting for someone not knowing that the "7.5 hours late" is because of what the 1st message was referring to, and the "7.5 late" is due to that fact, and that this leg is actually "on time" and not late at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.