Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by truncated
Saturday's (3/2) UA83 cancelled (presumably because the inbound UA82 is showing a 14 hour delay), while Sunday's (3/3) UA83 is making a stop at KEF. Whereas all the BOM flights seem to be stopping in BGR
Pretty clear they'd prefer BGR but it seems like the frame can't quite make it there from DEL due to the much longer routing.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Diversion to MUC

I'm on BOM-EWR this week and apparently all flights this week including mine are routing via MUC. My email says I will land in EWR at 1120am, too late to get any of the morning connections to BNA. Do I have any options if I don't want to get to BNA at 4:00 p.m.?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I am surprised UA hasn’t put up a Travel Advisory on this. Latest news is that this closure will continue through end of April (per Air India).

Both DEL and BOM - EWR flights will continue to stop in Germany. Why they chose Germany is beyond me. The flights have to leave India a couple hours behind their original schedule in order not to arrive before the morning curfew in Germany. So this further adds to the arrival delay. I would think KEF would be better.

Also not sure why they don’t weight restrict BOM and go nonstop like Air India will. Or rotate a 787-9 onto the route (though I realize there isn’t a 787 base in EWR yet).

The way UA has been handling this is not good, in my opinion. I just cancelled my DEL-USA return in J yesterday and rebooked via another airline to get home faster.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Saturday’s UA49 at 11:10pm is already delayed... Thursday morning?

Anyone know what is going on with Saturday’s UA49? I just got a text message I first assumed as in error. Today (Thursday morning at 5:25amIST) I got a notification that my flight UA49 on Saturday is already delayed due to “resolving an unexpected operational issue.” This has got to be the earliest I’ve ever had a flight delay notification.

Anyone know what is going on? Should I start preemptively looking into rebooking options?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
BOM-EWR has been making a stop in Germany to re-fuel due to airspace problems. Maybe connected?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
BOM-EWR has been making a stop in Germany to re-fuel due to airspace problems. Maybe connected?
Possibly. Or perhaps the grounding of the 7M9 has made them repurpose my plane for a hawaii route?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
uhh how about DEL-EWR? Does that stop in Germany as well?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Due to the closure of Pakistani airspace, the flights out of BOM are stopping in MUC for fuel and a re-crew.

I believe (and don't quote me on this) the delay to MUC is due to slot availability.

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Yes, in FRA.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Yes, FRA.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
UA's India flights stopping in Europe due to Pakistani airspace closure. Because they can't fly through Pakistan and US flagged birds won't fly over Iran the routing is outside the aircrafts' range. AC can still make it into India nonstop as they are able to route over Iran, so swapping to AC via YYZ might be an option if you're concerned. See below for full discussion.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-del-bom.html
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by deepakvalecha
I'm on BOM-EWR this week and apparently all flights this week including mine are routing via MUC. My email says I will land in EWR at 1120am, too late to get any of the morning connections to BNA. Do I have any options if I don't want to get to BNA at 4:00 p.m.?
Did they make you deplane in MUC or are passengers allowed to stay on the plane during the refuel/recrew?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmhua777
Both DEL and BOM - EWR flights will continue to stop in Germany. Why they chose Germany is beyond me.

Because they have extensive operations already in MUC and FRA.

So this further adds to the arrival delay. I would think KEF would be better.
See above.

Also not sure why they don’t weight restrict BOM and go nonstop like Air India will. Or rotate a 787-9 onto the route (though I realize there isn’t a 787 base in EWR yet).
Presumably AI can transit Iranian airspace. Swapping a 787-9 onto the route, assuming that they have one available, would mean a dramatic decrease in available seats --if they can run it full, it's a loss of 12 J seats, all 24 P+ seats, and 64 Y seats. And, I'm not sure that they can actually do that: according to FlightAware, AC's BOM-YYZ flight had an actual distance of 8121 miles, but they overflew Iran. If you add a couple of hundred miles to avoid Iran and account for the extra distance to EWR, you're stretching the limits of the 787-9 without weight restrictions.

The way UA has been handling this is not good, in my opinion.
I'm not sure they have a lot of realistic alternatives.
AceReport likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by rolltribe
UA's India flights stopping in Europe due to Pakistani airspace closure. Because they can't fly through Pakistan and US flagged birds won't fly over Iran the routing is outside the aircrafts' range. AC can still make it into India nonstop as they are able to route over Iran, so swapping to AC via YYZ might be an option if you're concerned.
If you swap to AC, then you get a stop in CPH.
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
If you swap to AC, then you get a stop in CPH.
Nope, I think I'll stay on my original.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA is able to post this in advance because it amounts to a scheduled delay. Put simply, UA knows that the aircraft will make a planned technical stop at MUC, switch crews and fly onwards. It likely already has slots scheduled and is thus able to post all of this now.

Changing your ticket won't appreciably affect the result, e.g., the need for refueling and likely crew swap in some location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.