Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:31 pm

wonder if UA will soon grant change/cancel waivers for near future EWR-BOM reservations...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton
Tonight's (Wednesday) EWR-BOM/DEL departures both show 'on schedule'.

AI's SFO-DEL is probably the longest flight into DEL that is affected, but the 77L should be able to handle the deviation.
AI on SFO-DEL does not normally need to overfly Pakistani airspace. typical routing takes it more over China. Of course winds etc can affect such a long flight.

Edit: though today they are indeed stopping over in the UAE at SHJ presumably to fuel up. must be too close to reserves with extended area of caution.

Edit #2 : Looks like they swapped a 77W the other day.

Last edited by AceReport; Feb 27, 2019 at 3:12 pm Reason: todays flight
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by AceReport
AI on SFO-DEL does not normally need to overfly Pakistani airspace. typical routing takes it more over China. Of course winds etc can affect such a long flight.

Edit: though today they are indeed stopping over in the UAE at SHJ presumably to fuel up. must be too close to reserves with extended area of caution.
everything that i see on the free version of flightaware takes SFO-DEL flight directly through pakistan. not necessarily the return, and of course we're in the middle of winter - so this may not be the case year-round.

as you edited to add, today's SFO-DEL will stop in SHJ for fuel. they've been using the 77W for the past week or so; i'll be interested to see whether AI does an equipment swap back to the usual 77L (which presumably wouldn't need the tech stop).
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton
everything that i see on the free version of flightaware takes SFO-DEL flight directly through pakistan. not necessarily the return, and of course we're in the middle of winter - so this may not be the case year-round.

as you edited to add, today's SFO-DEL will stop in SHJ for fuel. they've been using the 77W for the past week or so; i'll be interested to see whether AI does an equipment swap back to the usual 77L (which presumably wouldn't need the tech stop).
You are correct I think that do normally come in that way though I recall one time coming over china. I've never flown it outbound but I do know that they once set the world's longest flight by going TPAC with it (and very favorable winds!).

I too will be interested to see if they put a 77L back on the route and take a slightly more northerly heading going to SFO. Distance wise it would seem that AC, AI, and UA would be the only airlines with a major inconvenience by this. Most of the EU or Asian carriers who normally overfly the region should have the range to stretch a little north or south to avoid it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...-not-atlantic/
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by dilanesp
What do they do in this situation? Hold them at the airport? Expedite visas? Send them somewhere else?
That's about it! Years ago BIL with Indian passport & green card + return ticket back to USA was given a very hard time in spite of BA issuing an alternate ticket next morning. 30 minutes and then they relented. BIL has not set foot in UK since then.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:10 pm

So, what is the "transit hotel" located within FRA?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
That's about it! Years ago BIL with Indian passport & green card + return ticket back to USA was given a very hard time in spite of BA issuing an alternate ticket next morning. 30 minutes and then they relented. BIL has not set foot in UK since then.
Back when I was a student - I missed a connection in LHR and was allowed to go to a hotel on a temporary 48 hour visa. These days, you can officially get 48 hour landside entry if you have visa's of some other countries(US, etc.). Being stranded in a Schengen zone is a pain - I could leave CDG once when I was caught in a strike as I had a schengen visa, but there were many others not allowed to leave. Maybe that's why Air Canada turned back to Toronto from over Europe.
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Acid
Back when I was a student - I missed a connection in LHR and was allowed to go to a hotel on a temporary 48 hour visa. These days, you can officially get 48 hour landside entry if you have visa's of some other countries(US, etc.). Being stranded in a Schengen zone is a pain - I could leave CDG once when I was caught in a strike as I had a schengen visa, but there were many others not allowed to leave. Maybe that's why Air Canada turned back to Toronto from over Europe.
Actually, there are a few reasons and if you're curious, a rather interesting bit of info plus the usual FT debate can be found here. See post 3916 and onward.

You'll enjoy the references to UA flights.

(BTW, ACYYZ/SD is a cabin crew Service Director. Another poster works ATC)

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
I’d say at least 1/3 of the passengers did not have eu Visa upon landing in Fra, just based on how they made everyone cue up.

For those w/o it seems UA booked anyone who they couldn’t get out today in a hotel room in the transit area. Definitely none of those unlucky passengers were allowed to leave the secured terminal they brought us to (b side) Shengen
IIRC, a visa could be granted at border in exceptional case. The question here is will the German authority grant visa at border to those passenger.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
... Might be quicker to route via Narita looking at the distance.
Roughly 24 hours of actual flying. I flew the route last month via JL (JFK-NRT-DEL). Enjoyed every moment of it.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yesterday's flight canceled its extra segment and terminated at FRA.

Looks like they've gassed up tonight's UA48 and it's filed to fly through Egypt and Saudi airspace to reach BOM nonstop. UA82 still on the ground figuring things out at EWR, but no diversion filed yet.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Yesterday's flight canceled its extra segment and terminated at FRA.

Looks like they've gassed up tonight's UA48 and it's filed to fly through Egypt and Saudi airspace to reach BOM nonstop. UA82 still on the ground figuring things out at EWR, but no diversion filed yet.
Yup. It’s flying 8,523 miles and is sked to arrive 23 minutes early. There must be some favorable winds tonight.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL48

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Check out UA83 for tomorrow:

24left, IndyHoosier and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, both UA49 and UA83 are filing planned diversions to BGR for fuel and crew. Both are also showing 8h20+ delayed, due to "crew time exceeded" -- I wonder if this is due to crew movement issues with the canceled flights?

Code:
0083/28FEB
F DEL/ETD    830A  L08.45  CREW TIME EXCEEDED
P BGR/ETA   1213P FLAG STOP-INTERM-ETD 1233P PREVIOUS STOP DEL
F BGR/ETD   1253P
F EWR/ETA    206P  L09.31
D FCF/FSTOP BGR ENRT DEL-EWR A/SYSTEM CONTROL
Code:
0049/01MAR
F BOM/ETD    830A  L08.20  CREW TIME EXCEEDED
P BGR/ETA    104P FLAG STOP-INTERM-ETD  124P PREVIOUS STOP BOM
F EWR/ETA    150P  L08.10
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, both UA49 and UA83 are filing planned diversions to BGR for fuel and crew. Both are also showing 8h20+ delayed, due to "crew time exceeded" -- I wonder if this is due to crew movement issues with the canceled flights?

0083/28FEB
F DEL/ETD 830A L08.45 CREW TIME EXCEEDED
P BGR/ETA 1213P FLAG STOP-INTERM-ETD 1233P PREVIOUS STOP DEL
F BGR/ETD 1253P
F EWR/ETA 206P L09.31
D FCF/FSTOP BGR ENRT DEL-EWR A/SYSTEM CONTROL

0049/01MAR
F BOM/ETD 830A L08.20 CREW TIME EXCEEDED
P BGR/ETA 104P FLAG STOP-INTERM-ETD 124P PREVIOUS STOP BOM
F EWR/ETA 150P L08.10
Likely took rest in LHR/FRA, getting to BOM/DEL, and then resting again before making the trip back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.