Wiki Posts
Search

New Polaris vs LH J EWR to FRA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
New Polaris vs LH J EWR to FRA

Paid J....have not used the new Polaris seating but LH J always reliably solid although no direct access but upstairs nice.....any suggestions on whether to go UA vs LH.....thanks
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
If you haven't done the Polaris seat, that's what I'd probably go with. I am a fan of the hard product and direct aisle access.

Plus, departing from Terminal C you get to use the Polaris Lounge prior to the flight which is much nicer than the LH lounge in B.
AceReport and perkele like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Paid J....have not used the new Polaris seating but LH J always reliably solid although no direct access but upstairs nice.....any suggestions on whether to go UA vs LH.....thanks
You will get a lot of dispute on this because LH is not direct aisle access. I agree that the upstairs seats (especially on the A380 which as an aircraft blows away UA's 787/777s) on LH are nice. The new Polaris seating is nice is you get a window, but they fill up quickly.... That seat is worth it. UA's food/beverage and general service level is lower than LH's. If these things matter, then best to avoid UA. Agree that the Polaris lounge is probably slightly better than LH's lounge.

Bottom line IMHO is that if not being disturbed is the key factor, and you can get the coveted odd numbered window seats (which are more private) on a real polaris A/C (77W or retrofited 772) then UA is the better bet. But if you can't get those seats, its not an A/C with the new Polaris seats (e.g. its a 787 or 763 or non-retrofited 772), or you care about soft product, best to avoid UA.
higher_flyer, kittiyut and perkele like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Definitely UA on this one. New Polaris. Much more private. Decent meal in the Polaris lounge and maximize sleep on board so that UA's often disappointing food / service isn't really a factor for this route.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This 747 lover plans to do UA EWR-FRA since it's the quicker flight overnight and LH on the return. Another bonus of the 747-8s of LH is a few channels of live TV such as CNN-i
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seanp7
Definitely UA on this one. New Polaris. Much more private. Decent meal in the Polaris lounge and maximize sleep on board so that UA's often disappointing food / service isn't really a factor for this route.
agreed. UA outbound and LH inbound.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
The footwell on LH 747-8 J which makes you play footsies with your neighbor alone already makes the seat terrible. I would recommend UA Polaris J (or 764 J seat if you're flying before it switches over to 787-10).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Polaris over LH J every day for me. LH J soft product is very good, but the seats are not that good and the IFE is subpar for such a worldwide airline.

If you get a good crew the flight on new Polaris can be as good as any LH J flight.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
I also agree. New Polaris seat > LH J Seat, but I do love the upper deck on the 747 and the LH service and food.
So red eye on Polaris and LH on day flight is a good suggestion
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:49 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New Polaris J beats LH's "new" business class which is already a generation behind other airlines. You can eat in the Polaris lounge and Polaris food isn't that terrible to makeup for LH's 'love thy neighbor' seat.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Definitely Polaris. I’ve now experienced all three of the Polaris seats (odd numbered window, odd number center and even number seats) and the even number seats (the worst) trump the LH 2-2-2s.

And although I haven’t flown J since the pre-plated meals were introduced my experience is that UA’s J food is better. It’s only flight attendant service where LH wins.

Though it has to be said that not all LH seat pairs have footsie footwells. Some of the pairs have the same/similar setup as the pmCO diamonds, though Polaris trumps those too.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
All seat pairs on the 748 are "footsie" pairs. I would choose UA; the Polaris seat is vastly superior, but service and food on LH are better usually.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
The LH seat is not good for sleeping if you are tall. The Polaris seat is far superior. The Polaris Lounge food is superior to most airline food, so I would recommend that you eat in the lounge and sleep on the flight.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
for sure pick the UA polaris.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by mellon
for sure pick the UA polaris.
But eat dinner in the lounge so you can avoid the substandard business class meals that UA serves these days. This approach also can maximize sleep, as others have mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.