Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flagged for “Lounge Hopping”? UA is monitoring? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagged for “Lounge Hopping”? UA is monitoring? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
I am starting to think some of the airlines have a department that sits around all day and develops strategies to try and make the customers upset, angry, inefficient etc lol
Actually, they just need to have an intern read FT and looks for braggers posting how the beat the system.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
Not just IDs, but for Polaris the policy is Passport.

I don't even use my passport to get through TSA (even on an international flight - DL is easier), but twice I've had the Polaris front desk staff not accept a US drivers license for access and state they needed a passport. (On other occasions they have been happy with the DL)
When did this start? I was last in a Polaris Lounge back in August and all we had to show was our BPs.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Not just IDs, but for Polaris the policy is Passport.

I don't even use my passport to get through TSA (even on an international flight - DL is easier), but twice I've had the Polaris front desk staff not accept a US drivers license for access and state they needed a passport. (On other occasions they have been happy with the DL)
Well seeing as you have to be on an international itinerary to qualify for Polaris lounge access, and hence you’d have your passport with you anyway, it's hardly a massive burden.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agree there doesn't seem to be a current issue, but the fact that United is putting up a alert box on the screen can cause some errant dragons to come up with some interesting, non-accurate blockades.
Especially at DEN, where the dragons seem to love trying to aggravate customers in any way possible (did not surprise me at all that OP was in DEN).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

Well seeing as you have to be on an international itinerary to qualify for Polaris lounge access, and hence you’d have your passport with you anyway, it's hardly a massive burden.
Not always. I was stung in SFO when I briefly went home (and left my passport) post-Polaris but before a domestic SFO-EWR flight. The passport requirement is absolutely unnecessary, undocumented, and any valid ID should suffice for lounge ID purposes.
iluv2fly and onthesam like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:31 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
Especially at DEN, where the dragons seem to love trying to aggravate customers in any way possible (did not surprise me at all that OP was in DEN).
They're probably just feeling left out because they're not getting a Polaris lounge and have to find other ways to compensate! I bet the Club dragons would be much friendlier if they also had a Polaris to turn all the UA Club members away from.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Not always. I was stung in SFO when I briefly went home (and left my passport) post-Polaris but before a domestic SFO-EWR flight. The passport requirement is absolutely unnecessary, undocumented, and any valid ID should suffice for lounge ID purposes.
You could have also stuffed your passport in your checked baggage during re-check after customs.
Any valid ID good enough for TSA should be good enough for a simple ID check IMO!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'm based in Denver and have a club membership. I have never had any issue with entrance to the club. Nor have I had any "aggravation". What are your examples of how the love trying to aggravate customers? I've switched from one club to another a few times. At least once it was mentioned that "I see you were at the other club." I didn't feel threatened at all. If occasionally they catch someone trying to sneak in with a discarded BP, more power to them.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
How does splitting your time between UA lounges add to overcrowding? There is no real incremental cost to UA
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I had to spend way too much time convincing the SFO Polaris dragon to let me in on DL and not passport. It ultimately worked. Was ridiculous.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by onthesam
I had to spend way too much time convincing the SFO Polaris dragon to let me in on DL and not passport. It ultimately worked. Was ridiculous.
Same exact thing happened to me at SFO PL. They didn't want to accept the logic that I was returning from an international flight and put my passport away. They finally relented when they realized I wasn't budging. Yes, I know it would have been easier to fish for my passport, but then it became the principle of it.

BTW, I have never been asked for ANY ID whatsoever at ORD, and I use that lounge more than any other.
mr8 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
How does splitting your time between UA lounges add to overcrowding? There is no real incremental cost to UA
It's not legitimately splitting time, it's people using other people's BP to get in.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I have never had any issue with entrance to the club. Nor have I had any "aggravation". What are your examples of how the love trying to aggravate customers?
I've had the DEN dragons mouth off when they didn't hear me respond to their greeting, been denied access as OZ *G, had one attempt to deny my guest because he wasn't on the same flight, had one berate me when I left my BP behind when briefly leaving to take a walk (and I had told her that on the way out, and she still hassled me on return), and that's just off the top of my head. We can go on and on about sample sizes but I've never gotten as appalling treatment anywhere else as I have by the DEN UCs. It's bad enough that I refuse to connect through DEN. Even if they have given me $100 every time they improperly refuse me entry to the UC.

In any case, just search the forums... it's clear I'm just one of many FT'ers who have had trouble at the DEN UC dragons. That's why, as I mentioned, I'm not at all surprised this happened at DEN.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I'm based in Denver and have a club membership. I have never had any issue with entrance to the club. Nor have I had any "aggravation". What are your examples of how the love trying to aggravate customers? I've switched from one club to another a few times. At least once it was mentioned that "I see you were at the other club." I didn't feel threatened at all. If occasionally they catch someone trying to sneak in with a discarded BP, more power to them.
Ah. I hadn’t thought of that. So good point, though your example would definitely be the minority case. That said, however minority it shouldn’t preclude you from getting rightful access. Perhaps (after finally getting in) a polite word with the supervisor to point out that situation and how it can better be handled without compromising UA’s protection against fraud. How about using the app as evidence that you’re the passenger, or one or two if the MP security questions? Neither are totally infallible (nor do they cover every eventuality) but would weed out the vast majority of fraudsters, as would sanctioning pax who give duplicate BPs to others.

And I don’t know how recent this requirement has been there, but I haven’t been asked for my passport at SFO. My last visits were (international outbound) 20th December and (international inbound connecting domestic) 25th November. Maybe my “bed head” after SIN-SFO (plus showing that Intl BP) convinced them that it was me and I’d actually flown long haul.

Last edited by usbusinesstraveller; Feb 26, 2019 at 10:31 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:13 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
had one attempt to deny my guest because he wasn't on the same flight, ...
The DEN dragons have always been ok with me, but I've seen them being really rude to other pax.
Once saw a family of three having issues because the one elite in their group could only guest one. I offered to guest the other person but the dragon was fuming at the possibility that this family would be able to enter, and said I could only guest the other person if we were on the same flight and then smugly asked if we were on the same flight... Never had this issue at any other airport.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

As others said if you have the right to be in the lounge there is nothing the can and should do. I did "lounge runs" aka visit all lounges I was allowed to enter (as *G on an international flight) at a given airport when I had long layovers a couple of times and never had a problem or was questioned.

So long
-Ralf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.