Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flagged for “Lounge Hopping”? UA is monitoring? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagged for “Lounge Hopping”? UA is monitoring? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
ne used to have to show ID and a membership card to get into a UA club but the past few years all they have asked for was a BP.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:11 pm

I routinely have dinner at the LH lounge in IAD (great food for an overnight flight -- not too spicy and won't keep you awake at night!), fun to look through the German-language newspapers, then go to the inevitably crowded UA lounge for the last half-hour or so before the trans-Atlantic flight. Hope that doesn't get dinged in the future.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
UA needs to adopt the system AA uses. There's a photo attached to your membership record and when they scan your BP it pops up on their screen. Easy peasy.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't an easy solution to require a photo ID that matches the boarding pass?
Probably why I've been asked for my passport at the Polaris lounge on arrival from a Polaris flight. Initially thought it strange as I was connecting to a domestic flight but then I figured they were just checking my ID.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by docbert
That would be my guess - especially given that they are already enforcing ID checks at the Polaris lounges to stop exactly that from happening - and from talking to the staff at the SFO Polaris lounge they have caught people with the ID checks...

It's very possible it didn't just flag that it was a different lounge, but potentially that it was a 2nd entry for the same person to any (United) lounge.
It sounds like people were being very stupid (as well as cheating) to be caught in an ID check. Either they borrowed the legitimate lounge user's ID and didn't look anything like the photo or they showed the lounge dragon their own ID which obviously didn't match the ticket. I'm assuming they didn't bother trying to make/buy a fake ID to use just for the lounge.

Years ago I remember hearing some stories of father/son combinations sharing a single elite FF account where they had the same name with parent being Sr and son Jr or maybe they had some roman numerals after the names. In fact I once sat next to a kid who told me that he had gotten his upgrade due to this device. He looked like he was 18-20 and I was not unhappy when the FA asked him for ID to prove his age when he asked for his second PDB.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:57 pm

Isn't an easy solution to require a photo ID that matches the boarding pass?
Or include a photo as part of MileagePlus enrollment -- then it'll just pop up on their screen when you scan the BP. We're moving that way anyway, with photo-based gate boarding.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:59 pm

During my last ORD connection (though "connection" is maybe not the appropriate word at an airport that routinely strands you for 4+ hours), I was stuck for the better part of the day, and decided to check out all four lounges. I must have a deep-red flag on my account now .
jonisflying and tstauck like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mapleg
In fact I can't think of a single instance where I have not been able to lounge hop. Did it yesterday at Taipei.
Short of the stamp-on-the-boarding-pass thing they used to do at NRT it's basically impossible for UA to enforce you lounge hopping (and even the stamp had countless ways around it).

Originally Posted by spin88
My understanding is that UA pays for the use of lounges for its elites. So if e.g. you are *G and at HKG and use the TG and SQ lounges before going to the UC, well you just cost UA some $$$$. (perhaps I misunderstand the system).
United pays when you're flying economy and a United *G or UC member. The operating carrier pays when you're in business or higher.

It sounds like people were being very stupid (as well as cheating) to be caught in an ID check. Either they borrowed the legitimate lounge user's ID and didn't look anything like the photo or they showed the lounge dragon their own ID which obviously didn't match the ticket. I'm assuming they didn't bother trying to make/buy a fake ID to use just for the lounge.
I didn't ask, but I suspect it was more of a "ohh.. sorry.. I left my passport in my other pants" style of situation when asked for ID, rather than them pulling out a passport with a completely different name to the boarding pass.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:15 pm

My wife and I have both had experiences with one time passes recently that are pretty much opposite of United flagging lounge hopping. I was in LAX with a one time pass. When I checked in to the first lounge, the agent told me that I was free to visit any UC in the airport that day. I didn't have a lot of time, so I didn't, but I could have.

My wife had exactly the same experience at IAD. She arrived early in the morning, before the UC near the gate for her flight to PEK was open. She went to a different UC (I'm not sure which ones; I wasn't there) where she stayed until the lounge nearer her gate was open. She was told to feel free to visit any UC in IAD that day.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g289t
My wife and I have both had experiences with one time passes recently that are pretty much opposite of United flagging lounge hopping. I was in LAX with a one time pass. When I checked in to the first lounge, the agent told me that I was free to visit any UC in the airport that day. I didn't have a lot of time, so I didn't, but I could have.

My wife had exactly the same experience at IAD. She arrived early in the morning, before the UC near the gate for her flight to PEK was open. She went to a different UC (I'm not sure which ones; I wasn't there) where she stayed until the lounge nearer her gate was open. She was told to feel free to visit any UC in IAD that day.
LAX only has one United Club, though.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: MP
At NRT about a decade ago, lounge dragons in the various *A lounges (UA, ANA, etc.) would sometimes (but not always IME) do something to stamp the boarding pass and then you supposedly couldn't enter a different *A lounge with a *A business class or FC ticket. I think it would have been hard, but maybe not impossible, to solve the problem by having multiple boarding passes (printed during OLCI, inbound and outbound for a connection, or just say you misplaced it).
I fly NRT pretty often and I can confirm that they still stamp on BP at UA lounge there. After stamped you will not be able to lounge hop to other airline lounge.

However, there are easy get around solutions to this. First being entering other airline lounge (say, ANA) first. ANA lounge doesn't stamp so you have no problem entering UA lounge afterwards.

Another solution if you happen to already get your BP stamped is... just show them your BP from united app and you'll be able to get in no problem.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pon18n
I fly NRT pretty often and I can confirm that they still stamp on BP at UA lounge there. After stamped you will not be able to lounge hop to other airline lounge.
I had no problem going to the NH lounge after getting stamped by the UA lounge last time I was in NRT.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:08 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by CaptKornDog
Ran into a new one this morning at DEN.
DEN always has a lot of interesting rules...
Originally Posted by pon18n
I was told that the purpose of the stamp was to let you re-enter the UA club without having to check-in again or something so you could go in-and-out to do your duty free shopping.

My strategy when visiting multiple lounges is to always visit the furthest one first and then just let them know I'll be moving to the lounge closer to my gate.

Last edited by mr8; Feb 25, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by mr8
DEN always has a lot of interesting rules...

I was told that the purpose of the stamp was to let you re-enter the UA club without having to check-in again or something so you could go in-and-out to do your duty free shopping.

My strategy when visiting multiple lounges is to always visit the furthest one first and then just let them know I'll be moving to the lounge closer to my gate.
My own personal strategy is to just go in and out of whatever lounge I'd like to visit, without compunction or explanation. My UC membership, class of service and/or *G status entitles me to do so. It's never failed me.

FWIW I would not be offended by ID checks. Makes sense if there's actual abuse. Photo on dragon screen sounds even better -- I could make that joke about how I look better in the picture....
neo_781 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
I had no problem going to the NH lounge after getting stamped by the UA lounge last time I was in NRT.
+1

I am unaware of any restriction that does not allow me to move between lounges. Upon arrival at NRT I use the UC for a shower because they have portable fans (NH lounges do not), then I go to the NH lounge for the rest of the layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.