Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flagged for “Lounge Hopping”? UA is monitoring? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagged for “Lounge Hopping”? UA is monitoring? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by bocastephen
+1

I am unaware of any restriction that does not allow me to move between lounges. Upon arrival at NRT I use the UC for a shower because they have portable fans (NH lounges do not), then I go to the NH lounge for the rest of the layover.
On departure I go to the NH lounge and check the sushi offerings. Then usually retreat to the UC when they are sparse/nonexistent.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:32 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
... Photo on dragon screen sounds even better -- I could make that joke about how I look better in the picture....
Photos for club members and a quick check-out scan for non members who want to access another lounge at the same airport..?

@CaptKornDog, how long between scans at the clubs? Perhaps there's a cooling-off period that will flag you for 'being in two places at the same time'? I once went to wrong club in DEN as well, but caught my mistake right after scanning-in and the dragon said she'd phone the other lounge to let them know I'd be coming over.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mr8
Photos for club members and a quick check-out scan for non members who want to access another lounge at the same airport..?

@CaptKornDog, how long between scans at the clubs? Perhaps there's a cooling-off period that will flag you for 'being in two places at the same time'? I once went to wrong club in DEN as well, but caught my mistake right after scanning-in and the dragon said she'd phone the other lounge to let them know I'd be coming over.
I spent about an hour at the first one, then a few minutes to get to the other side. So maybe 60-70 minutes total I’d say. Wasn’t a scan, about face and walk out, then scan again 10 minutes later at the opposite one; which I guess added to my initial surprise.

Co-worker meetup aside, I had a gate change anyway, so switching clubs put me closer to the gate...one of the several very practical, valid reasons to hop over to a different club IMO.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mapleg
Well I am *G (but on AC) and have never had a problem entering different 3 lounges at HKG while waiting for a flight.

In fact I can't think of a single instance where I have not been able to lounge hop. Did it yesterday at Taipei.
I was not saying its a problem getting into *A lounges, it happens (IMHE) often. Was just speculating on a possible explanation since that lounge hopping actually costs UA money since it has to pay the *A lounge for your visit. But as someone pointed out up thread, this is just a field in UA's system so would not impact *A lounge hopping.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by onthesam
On departure I go to the NH lounge and check the sushi offerings. Then usually retreat to the UC when they are sparse/nonexistent.
The nigiri they serve during key hours at the NH lounge is honestly inedible - I tried it once and never went back for more. I prefer the fake crab rolls out in the main food display.

Now I just need them to install portable fans in the showers, or lower the temperature down below 92F. I hate taking a shower and then trying to dry off and dress in what feels like an Amazon rain forest.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:04 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Now I just need them to install portable fans in the showers, or lower the temperature down below 92F. I hate taking a shower and then trying to dry off and dress in what feels like an Amazon rain forest.
They do have small fans on the counter - they just don't really help much!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
My understanding is that UA pays for the use of lounges for its elites. So if e.g. you are *G and at HKG and use the TG and SQ lounges before going to the UC, well you just cost UA some $$$$. (perhaps I misunderstand the system).
I had the impression that most of the lounge access fee has to be covered by the operating carrier (not the FFP airline). It would be pretty hard for every third-party lounge, which has a contract for a departing Lufthansa-operated flight, to bill 20+ airlines, who have issued the FFP card.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by warakorn
I had the impression that most of the lounge access fee has to be covered by the operating carrier (not the FFP airline). It would be pretty hard for every third-party lounge, which has a contract for a departing Lufthansa-operated flight, to bill 20+ airlines, who have issued the FFP card.
But a UC Membership or *G won't get you into a 3rd Party Lounge. In those instances its only for business / first passengers so it'd be the operating carrier.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by oblisk
But a UC Membership or *G won't get you into a 3rd Party Lounge. In those instances its only for business / first passengers so it'd be the operating carrier.
Not according to https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy at least for *G:
At airports where neither a Star Alliance branded lounge nor a Star Alliance member carrier offers a lounge, third party lounges are contracted by some of our member airlines. As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling on a Star Alliance member airlines operated flight from such airports, you have access to these third party contract lounges, if the member airline you are travelling on has a contract with this lounge.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Easy to identify - when you get the warning signal, just call the other lounge and page the supposed lounge hopper.
That sounds like a horrible solution.
And unlikely to work: I doubt an offender would voluntarily come forward if paged.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
It's a petty thing for UA to focus on, but I can see that with digital BP's and screenshots, some could be gaming the system. It should just be an alert, not a black mark against someone.

Also, the talk of partner lounges in this thread for *G is largely irrelevant, IMO. This change sounds like a (poor) attempt to stop two different people visiting two UC's in the same airport with the same BP (to me, anyway). As noted, photos would be an obvious solution - but let's give them a chance to fix *A awards on the website first, shall we?

UA spending IT money focusing on trying to stop an extra person getting access to processed cheese, 5 cents of soda, and some house wine. Priorities...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:52 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I doubt this is people gaming the system from screen-shots of boarding passes. Don't those fail to scan correctly at the gate? I may be wrong about that but I seem to recall that being a thing at some point.

I will certainly come up as a lounge-hopper as I always go to the B6 lounge at ORD when I'm departing C and often check into that one when there is a boarding delay so I can grab another glass of wine.

I wonder if there were other updates to the scan-in system last week because I was coming back LGA >ORD on Friday and had my inbound boarding pass rejected at the B6 lounge. I was just trying to grab some quick Wi-Fi to send/download e-mails as the plane's Wi-Fi hadn't worked. At first I worried that my annual UC subscription had failed to renew but upon checking that roll-date isn't until May. Ultimately the agent asked "how I was trying to gain access" and I say somewhat confused "I'm a member" and she just said "thank you for being Global Services, just go ahead". I don't know if it was related to the inbound BP thing (though I have done that many times before), I do know historically that if you scan a BP from a different leg of your trip (which lacked say ORD as either point on that ticket) that wouldn't work. As noted above, I'm glad that UA IT is really focused on what matters here.

Last edited by LIH; Feb 26, 2019 at 6:55 am Reason: tpyo
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LIH
I doubt this is people gaming the system from screen-shots of boarding passes. Don't those fail to scan correctly at the gate?
You don't need screen shots. Just print as many copies of your boarding pass as you want online or at a kiosk.

Just because they're gathering data doesn't mean they'll be taking any action.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been reports of people sharing their BPs to get non-eligble people into a lounge -- UA is starting to check photo ids at Polaris lounges and this may be an effort toward that end for UCs.

Think about it -- scan your BP and you are in -- share a duplicate of that BP (phone, paper, ..) and they are in at another UC.
Now UCs have guesting privileges (but Polaris Lounges don't except for the rare 3-class F passenger), so this technical is valuable for UCs but there still cases I could see people stooping to this.

Single person UC hopping is probably not the issue -- its your BP lounge hopping with multiple people.
I always thought the ‘boarding pass only’ requirement was a bit loose. In Europe some airlines have gone to gate entry systems, where you scan your BP and your in. No human intervention required. Wait until they catch wind of the latest ugly American maximizing sceme.

When I came over from CO I would always present my Presidents Club card when entering a RCC. Force of habit. The UA longe dragons would consistently scold me by crowing ‘we only need your boarding pass’ and acting rather put out. And since that was before the same day departure rule, I thought it was not unreasonable just presenting the plastic.

SL

Last edited by SunLover; Feb 26, 2019 at 8:00 am Reason: Spellin’
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by SunLover

I always thought the ‘boarding pass only’ requirement was a bit loose. In Europe some airlines have gone to gate entry systems, where you scan your BP and your in. No human intervention required. Wait until they catch wind of the latest ugly American maximizing sceme.
SL
Kind of like the guy who would buy a refundable international ticket, show up to the airport and havie dinner in the lounge, then reschedule the flight for another day and repeat the process. He did this 30 something times before vetring caught and charged a considerable amount for lounge use. Except that was in Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.