FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   SMILE! You are on candid camera on your UA flight. (well, not yet) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1957795-smile-you-candid-camera-your-ua-flight-well-not-yet.html)

dilanesp Feb 23, 2019 3:38 pm

SMILE! You are on candid camera on your UA flight. (well, not yet)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/airlines-...172817112.html

Moderator Edit -- Per FT rules

Three of the world’s biggest airlines have admitted some of their planes have cameras installed on the backs of passenger seats.

American Airlines, United Airlines and Singapore Airlines have new seat-back entertainment systems that include cameras.

They could also be on planes used by other carriers.Companies that make the entertainment systems are fitting them with cameras to offer passengers options such as seat-to-seat video conferencing, according to an American Airlines spokesman

.But American, United and Singapore all say they have never activated the cameras and have no plans to use them.

Carlos B Feb 23, 2019 4:01 pm

And Liars on top of it

And what does the filth at United do first, they lie and got caught with their pants down. United is trash

getagb Feb 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Carlos B (Post 30814059)
And what does the filth at United do first, they lie and got caught with their pants down. United is trash

Wait, what was the lie?

Carlos B Feb 23, 2019 4:15 pm

They first replied they had no cameras,

narvik Feb 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Two words: duct tape

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8b0e2f8a3d.jpg

docbert Feb 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Carlos B (Post 30814082)
They first replied they had no cameras

And whilst that was an error, it almost certainly wasn't a lie.

United has been accused of having cameras before and they were confirmed to be light sensors. Likely they person responding wasn't aware that some planes also had (unused) camera.

There's no way any airline would be stupid enough to outright lie about something that can be relatively simply confirmed to be true.

milepig Feb 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Too bad they aren’t aimed at the FAs. Especially on long haul where they mow through all the snacks meant for the pax.

milepig Feb 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Carlos B (Post 30814059)

Goodie. Since UA is trash and filth, please book on other airlines. More seats for us.

FTA Feb 23, 2019 5:45 pm

First reported right here last year www.flyertalk.com/forum/-/1943016--.html

mahasamatman Feb 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 30814149)
Too bad they aren’t aimed at the FAs.

That's OK, half the customers have cell phone cameras pointed that way just waiting for a lawsuit moment.

cayohueso Feb 23, 2019 7:23 pm

I do find it difficult to believe that any airline would have any unnecessary weight aboard given pounds = $.

DCP2016 Feb 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 30814309)
That's OK, half the customers have cell phone cameras pointed that way just waiting for a lawsuit moment.

Yup, in the age of the smartphones, tablets, and every other device with a camera there is no escaping being recorded. Enforcement to not record might have worked when you had to lug out an actual 2 pound camcorder but not anymore.

MT_Switch Feb 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 30814095)

There's no way any airline would be stupid enough to outright lie about something that can be relatively simply confirmed to be true.

Yea, about those out-of-control related delays and compensation rights...

bocastephen Feb 23, 2019 8:21 pm

Didn't we discuss these cameras months ago when they were found on the new Polaris seats and there was a claim these lenses were not cameras, but light sensors for the IFE system? Anyway, if they are cameras, simple fix - slap a piece of tape over it and move on.

Beltway2A Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 30814095)

"We apologize for the overbook situation"

followed later that day by

"As you will read, this situation was unfortunately compounded when one of the passengers we politely asked to deplane refused and it became necessary to contact Chicago Aviation Security Officers to help. Our employees followed established procedures for dealing with situations like this. While I deeply regret this situation arose, I also emphatically stand behind all of you, and I want to commend you for continuing to go above and beyond to ensure we fly right. "

I would be highly, highly surprised by a situation where UA doesn't lie despite the fact that the truth can be relatively simply confirmed.