FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Stuck (HNL) for 3 days due to GUM weather (Typhoon Wutip). Can they help? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1957693-stuck-hnl-3-days-due-gum-weather-typhoon-wutip-can-they-help.html)

Feyte Feb 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Stuck (HNL) for 3 days due to GUM weather (Typhoon Wutip). Can they help?

Hello! I know you guys must get this a lot but I couldn't find any info on it. I paid for a ticket from Hawaii to Guam. I'm on one of the islands came to honolulu and flight was cancelled. Called and they said due to weather, I won't be reimbursed. However I'm stuck for 3 days. This is literally my 4th delay in a row. My last flight to the east coast, I was delayed 3 times back to back having me show up 2 days later then what I was supposed to. It was so rough and cost me a grip. I'm not sure what to do and will now be coming out of pocket for food and hotel for 3 days. United hasn't helped at all. Any help or advice is so appreciated!

Miles Ahead Feb 22, 2019 7:15 pm

There is a typhoon hitting Guam right now. What do you expect United to do about it?

zrs70 Feb 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Feyte (Post 30811548)
Hello! I know you guys must get this a lot but I couldn't find any info on it. I paid for a ticket from Hawaii to Guam. I'm on one of the islands came to honolulu and flight was cancelled. Called and they said due to weather, I won't be reimbursed. However I'm stuck for 3 days. This is literally my 4th delay in a row. My last flight to the east coast, I was delayed 3 times back to back having me show up 2 days later then what I was supposed to. It was so rough and cost me a grip. I'm not sure what to do and will now be coming out of pocket for food and hotel for 3 days. United hasn't helped at all. Any help or advice is so appreciated!

Welcome to FT! So sorry for what you are experiencing. Never fun to endure a delay.

What do you mean you won't be reimbursed? If flight is cancelled, they should offer a refund.
Have you looked at options online? Are you willing to go via Asia? It always helps to have flights in mind when contacting the airline.
On your flight to the east coast, what was the reason for the delay?

Feyte Feb 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead (Post 30811563)
There is a typhoon hitting Guam right now. What do you expect United to do about it?

I'm not expecting anything however I'm getting stranded each time I try to fly out again. I'm inquiring about any help they may be able to provide. Although this may not help in this situation, it may help other's or myself down the line in another.

mahasamatman Feb 22, 2019 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Feyte (Post 30811581)
I'm not expecting anything

Your OP says otherwise. But in the case of weather-related issues, there's not much any airline can/will do with a non-status passenger.

Aussienarelle Feb 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 30811589)
Your OP says otherwise. But in the case of weather-related issues, there's not much any airline can/will do with a non-status passenger.

In reading the OP I was thinking there is the reason for upping my PQD to make 1K in 2020....

Miles Ahead Feb 22, 2019 7:42 pm

There is very little United can do with a typhoon other than to wait until it is over. And, in all seriousness, what do you think United should do?

seenitall Feb 22, 2019 7:57 pm

If you paid for your flight with a credit card, the credit card issuer may offer some travel insurance coverage that could reimburse some of your delay-related expenses.

Hipplewm Feb 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Feyte (Post 30811548)

Cancel ticket, get full refund, go back to the island you came from and wait for the typhoon to pass, then go to Guam

pilgrim Feb 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Wouldn't United put them on the 1st available space, even if it is 3 or 4 days. OP wrote that because cancellation
was because of weather he would not be reimburse (to purchase a ticket later perhaps on another provider?). That does not sound like United policy.
It seems safer to wait for a ticket on United to Guam to open up since walk up tickets on other carriers would be much more
expensive when the storm passes.

Maybe you can find an Airbnb less expensive than a hotel while you wait it out. Good luck.

bmw303 Feb 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Feyte (Post 30811581)
I'm not expecting anything however I'm getting stranded each time I try to fly out again. I'm inquiring about any help they may be able to provide. Although this may not help in this situation, it may help other's or myself down the line in another.

Hi OP, its a fair question. Your best bet, as previously mentioned, is potential credit card travel insurance, which you may have depending on the credit card you used to purchase this ticket. The next option is simply pleading your case at the airport in the nicest way possible without being demanding, recognizing you're not entitled to accommodations, and just asking if the airline can do anything for you. If they say no though, you should be prepared to just say thank you and leave it at that. But no harm asking once every day you're stranded.

Some hotels may offer distressed traveler rates - you can inquire with nearby hotels.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck. United does go above and beyond for 1K / GS members (which are their two types of most profitable customers), but short of that, you're probably out of luck with United (and for that matter, any airline) in this situation.

Feyte Feb 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 30811576)
Welcome to FT! So sorry for what you are experiencing. Never fun to endure a delay.

What do you mean you won't be reimbursed? If flight is cancelled, they should offer a refund.
Have you looked at options online? Are you willing to go via Asia? It always helps to have flights in mind when contacting the airline.
On your flight to the east coast, what was the reason for the delay?

Thank you for your message! The island I'm trying to get to is an outter island near Guam. Flights rarely go in and out of there outside of united once ever week to two weeks. It was for a funeral. I hear you on the different airlines. I'll give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens! The east coast was 3 (connecting) flights total. I think first was weather but subsequent flights were actually mechanical.

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 30811917)
Hi OP, its a fair question. Your best bet, as previously mentioned, is potential credit card travel insurance, which you may have depending on the credit card you used to purchase this ticket. The next option is simply pleading your case at the airport in the nicest way possible without being demanding, recognizing you're not entitled to accommodations, and just asking if the airline can do anything for you. If they say no though, you should be prepared to just say thank you and leave it at that. But no harm asking once every day you're stranded.

Some hotels may offer distressed traveler rates - you can inquire with nearby hotels.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck. United does go above and beyond for 1K / GS members (which are their two types of most profitable customers), but short of that, you're probably out of luck with United (and for that matter, any airline) in this situation.

Thank you so much for your message. Honestly if they are partnered with a hotel, having a hotel offer a discount would be so ideal. I typically don't fly with united because i don't know what it is but i feel like I have the worst luck, however a particular outter island near guam is usually only serviced by united. I also didn't want my bag lost again going to a place where a lot of things just aren't sold. They aren't as developed as Guam or the US. I try to avoid multiple airline hopping to one destination due to the bag.
United only pops in once a week or two. Showing up to Guam later forces me to pay for a hotel here for a few days, and Guam for possibly another week or so. Being that these are popular destinations, nightly rates are expensive. I was very adamant about going only because it was specifically for a funeral. I appreciate your hotel suggestion and that is something specific I can gun for. Even if it only knocks like 20 bucks off a night, that's a huge difference to me.

dinoscool3 Feb 23, 2019 1:31 am

If it was only for a funeral, I suppose the reason for the trip is no longer necessary? You can claim Trip in Vain and have UA cancel the flight.

exwannabe Feb 23, 2019 2:50 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 30812193)
If it was only for a funeral, I suppose the reason for the trip is no longer necessary? You can claim Trip in Vain and have UA cancel the flight.

Trip in vain has nothing to do with reason. If an airline can not complete the journey you paid for in the defined timeframe, they owe the option to get a full refund and be returned to point of origin.

Unclear if OP started his travels on the same ticket. Also not clear if he wishes to be returned home vs continuing on.

Miles Ahead Feb 23, 2019 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Feyte (Post 30812004)
The island I'm trying to get to is an outter island near Guam. Flights rarely go in and out of there outside of united once ever week to two weeks. .

It would help if you gave us the details, rather than let us guess. The least frequent service I ama ware of us GUM-YAP, twice a week.

Originally Posted by Feyte (Post 30812004)
having a hotel offer a discount

Have you asked United? What was their response?