Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stuck (HNL) for 3 days due to GUM weather (Typhoon Wutip). Can they help?

Stuck (HNL) for 3 days due to GUM weather (Typhoon Wutip). Can they help?

Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Some rather unhelpful answers here which isn't very nice e for someone seeking our help.

I believe by reimburse OP may have been asking about hotels and meals while awaiting the flight. OP, do you still want to go to Guam or cancel and return home? You have both options, but unfortunately I believe in the US airlines don't typically provide accommodation and meals for such Multi-day weather delays. Travel insurance is your best bet. You can of course get a refund from United and go back home.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
OP, I’m curious what “outer-island” you’re on? What’s the big mystery?
Yap and Pohnpei both have cheap “home stays”, you just need to ask around. There are also some listed on the Lonely Planet forum, maybe Tripadvisor as well.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
OP, I’m curious what “outer-island” you’re on? What’s the big mystery?
Yap and Pohnpei both have cheap “home stays”, you just need to ask around. There are also some listed on the Lonely Planet forum, maybe Tripadvisor as well.
OP is stuck at HNL, trying to get to an outer island of GUM
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Actually, it's really unclear what's going on. The OP says the ticket is from HNL to GUM, but then mentions coming from an outer island. I can't tell if this is an outbound or a return.

OP: You've already gotten some good advice; I would add that you don't necessarily need United to book you a hotel. Often, you can call around to different hotels and ask for the 'distressed traveler' rate. They may ask for flight information at check-in (e.g., a boarding pass) in order to verify that your flight was cancelled. You should definitely look into any trip delay insurance offered by your credit card as well.

That said, if you can clear up where, exactly, you're trying to go -- and whether you're traveling on one ticket or separate tickets -- people may be able to offer other flight suggestions. While I understand that you might know the flight options as well as anyone, I can tell you from experience that stress can make me overlook things.

Good luck!
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It also sounds to me that OP came from an HI island into HNL and now stuck there.

I think the absolutely best UA would do, and they probably won't since this is weather, is to give you a voucher later. As others said:

1 - do your own research to find a way to route yourself, UA or otherwise, to GUM and suggest to the airport agent to do that for you

2 - save all the receipts for any credit card reimbursement or see if UA will give you some voucher

I was once stuck in NRT for 3 nights on the way to TPE - every other airline operated the 1st night and 3rd day but UA. UA cancelled the flight after the NH flight left NRT. UA did pay for the hotel for the first night for everyone (I guess Asian customer service standards are higher).

Since this was an "all other airlines operated and you did not" situation, I was able to get a voucher for the expenses I had. I think I was only Gold back then.

It is not pleasant as every day you have to go to the airport to try to get on. Good luck.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I guess I misunderstood that -- it's very convoluted.
But in that case, isn't the funeral over by now?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
1 - do your own research to find a way to route yourself, UA or otherwise, to GUM and suggest to the airport agent to do that for you
Unlikely to happen. Guam is in the middle of a Category 4 typhoon (recently upgraded to super typhoon). As far as I can tell, it's been 12 hours since a plane landed there.

The PDN has pictures of Guam and Chuuk. It is not pretty right now.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Was the OP on the milk run & got stuck on one of the stops?

I live in Juneau, Alaska where 1/4 of our flights are milkruns. I've been stuck twice in 10 years, and Alaska doesn't do a thing for us but rebook on the next available flight. They try to be nice about everything, but unfortunately weather is weather.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
In cases where one is stuck unexpectedly for an extended period of time, I have learned that it's best to avoid stress as much as possible; avoid shouting and blaming; avoid spending hours and hours seeking unlikely reimbursements; but look at the situation at hand, spend some time over a cocktail [or two] to come up with a reasonable plan to make the best use of one's time and of the situation.
zrs70, jsloan and 747FC like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:07 pm

At least your not stuck at EWR
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:39 pm

A little confused - on Feb 22 - both UA 154 and UA 201 were cancelled.
However, on Feb 23 UA2834 operated as an extra section for UA154 from Feb 22 and UA 201 shows wide open in economy.
I'm a little confused why they said 3 days if you were indeed scheduled originally for Feb 22.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chuck1
A little confused - on Feb 22 - both UA 154 and UA 201 were cancelled.
However, on Feb 23 UA2834 operated as an extra section for UA154 from Feb 22 and UA 201 shows wide open in economy.
I'm a little confused why they said 3 days if you were indeed scheduled originally for Feb 22.
If I understand the OP ... they traveled to HNL (from one of the other Hawaiian islands) to get HNL-GUM-XXX flights, where XXX is one of the islands with non-daily service from GUM -- so missing the orignal connection meant missing the connecting flight, which did not run again until 3 days latter.
That's my read but it is reading between the lines a bit. OP was frustrated due to a series of previous delay incidents and lack of help from UA to cover the costs while in HNL (apparent not their residency).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If I understand the OP ... they traveled to HNL (from one of the other Hawaiian islands) to get HNL-GUM-XXX flights, where XXX is one of the islands with non-daily service from GUM -- so missing the orignal connection meant missing the connecting flight, which did not run again until 3 days latter.
That's my read but it is reading between the lines a bit. OP was frustrated due to a series of previous delay incidents and lack of help from UA to cover the costs while in HNL (apparent not their residency).
All speculation, but UA wouldn’t be at fault if an inter-island connecting flight went bad. Likely, it would be HA, and no way would it talke very long to get him to HNL on a connecting flight.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
All speculation, but UA wouldn’t be at fault if an inter-island connecting flight went bad. Likely, it would be HA, and no way would it talke very long to get him to HNL on a connecting flight.
If reading the OP correctly, the inter-island flight is from GUM and is UA operated.
The OP stated they were already in HNL, so not an Hawaii inter-island flight.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If reading the OP correctly, the inter-island flight is from GUM and is UA operated.
The OP stated they were already in HNL, so not an Hawaii inter-island flight.
We await more info from OP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.