Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There may a formal rule on devices over 2 lbs but the most common observation is physical keyboards is what many FAs use to determine acceptability below 10,000 ft.
--- Keyboard - not allowed below 10,000 ft
--- No keyboard and does not appear to be too large, OK below 10,000 ft
FAA has a rule no more than 3 lbs in the seatback storage area.

Originally Posted by fezzington
FA manual says "Use of small, lightweight PEDs (e.g. Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Microsoft surface, etc) is permitted gate-to-gate on UA flights..." Anything under 2lbs may be placed in a pocket, a seatback pocket, or held -- it may not be left unsecured on an adjacent empty seat. Anything over 2lbs must be stowed in an approved carryon baggage location. ....
Print Wikipost

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I remember one thread suggesting that the existence of a keyboard might denote the difference between a ‘small’ and ‘large’ device. I wouldn’t necessarily agree.

If you have a tablet that is larger than a laptop, I’d probably argue it’s not a ‘small’ device that can be used during takeoff/landing. Others might suggest the ability to hold a tablet in your hands when using vs. not on a laptop may be a difference.

That all said, Im not sure what the official regs say (and if it’s different on UA mainline vs. each UAX partner, each of which could be subject to different specific regs based on what they’ve submitted to FAA).

personally, I find it a bit ridiculous to be buying a secondary device for use on takeoff/landing (though I’m not sure if this device would be a second for you or replacing what you are using). I know we’re workahilics in the US, but can we not live without working on a device for the first and last 10-20 minutes of a flight?

Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that you will attract the least attention if you have a detachable keyboard and stow that so that you are left with a manageable-sized tablet. Surface tablets are a good example.

As this is just before landing, you won't find it fruitful to have an argument and since you are purchasing for this express purpose, I'd suggest this is the route to go.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
You don't have to wait for cruise altitude to bring out a laptop. You just can't have it out for taxi, takeoff, or landing. Once the wheels are off the ground you get out your laptop (as long as it is within reach, i.e. under the seat in front of you).

I think the regulation draws the line between "big" and "handheld" devices at two-pounds. If your hybrid laptop-tablet weighs no more than two-pounds then it should be okay. Flight attendants can't weigh the devices so they'll typically go by if it has a keyboard attached. If they ask, tell them that it is less than two-pounds. If that doesn't work, detach and stow the keyboard.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by LarryJ
You don't have to wait for cruise altitude to bring out a laptop. You just can't have it out for taxi, takeoff, or landing. Once the wheels are off the ground you get out your laptop (as long as it is within reach, i.e. under the seat in front of you).

I think the regulation draws the line between "big" and "handheld" devices at two-pounds. If your hybrid laptop-tablet weighs no more than two-pounds then it should be okay. Flight attendants can't weigh the devices so they'll typically go by if it has a keyboard attached. If they ask, tell them that it is less than two-pounds. If that doesn't work, detach and stow the keyboard.
I generally wait for the double-ding of passing through 10K before I drag mine out. At that point its ok to turn it on and get to work!

The 2lbs limit is what I remember too. But as always, if the FA says put it away, don't argue just do it, that's grounds for not following directions which can get you booted off the plane and possibly arrested.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've used my 15" Surfacebook, turned around as a tablet (with the keyboard underneath) and detached as a tablet without any comments from FAs.
I would agree with the above... all dependent upon the FA.
MrGood likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by hindle
I've used my 15" Surfacebook, turned around as a tablet (with the keyboard underneath) and detached as a tablet without any comments from FAs.
I would agree with the above... all dependent upon the FA.
I'm curious about how the FA would perceive seeing the same device attached to the keyboard before takeoff, only to see it in tablet mode later on in the flight. Would they say something? Would they even care? The hinge-based hybrid device is still technically a laptop due to the hinge itself (at least when it's attached to the keyboard & folded), but some tablets are becoming larger/heavier than some laptops (projectile-worthy) and yet they're allowed to stay out 100% of the flight...

And the FAA FAQ about portable electronic devices doesn't even help clarify or distinguish what exactly is allowed as a tablet concept:
Any M-PED that is larger than an e-reader or a tablet must be stowed properly during ground movement, take-off and landing. This is consistent with current regulations and airline procedures regarding the stowage of carry-on baggage (which include assistive devices).
I guess leaving the final opinion up to the FA would result in a coin toss
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by drowelf
I generally wait for the double-ding of passing through 10K before I drag mine out. At that point its ok to turn it on and get to work!
That's fine, but you don't have to wait that long if you don't want to. Once the airplane is off the ground you can bring out your laptop, lower your tray-table, and get to work.

The only reason why you have to stow it earlier on landing is because the F/As have to verify that everything is stowed before taking their seats for the landing. They do the pre-takeoff verification during taxi-out so no need to wait after takeoff.
wxguy likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Two recent observations:

1) Samsung is getting ready to announce a foldable phone. Folded, it's the size of a phone; unfolded, it's the size of a tablet. What will the airlines do then?

2) I have it on good authority that millennials are increasingly ignoring the "phones off" rule and texting happily away once they get in range of a cell tower. This has of course caused several crashe-- er, wait.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k
The 12" Macbook is exactly(?) 2lb and fits easily in the seat pocket or in the little space next to your seat in most J seats. I'm a big fan, in particular when traveling.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I'm a fuddy-duddy. I turn my my phone off and enjoy the flight.
wpcoe and DELee like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The questions I will ask myself are...if there is an emergency:
  1. would I be able to hold the device so it does not fly off and hit someone
  2. if it flies off and hits someone, would it kill the person or disable the person from evacuating
  3. if falls on the floor, especially if I am at the exit row, would it slow down evacuation
  4. would it slow my own evacuation
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
FA manual says "Use of small, lightweight PEDs (e.g. Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Microsoft surface, etc) is permitted gate-to-gate on UA flights..." Anything under 2lbs may be placed in a pocket, a seatback pocket, or held -- it may not be left unsecured on an adjacent empty seat. Anything over 2lbs must be stowed in an approved carryon baggage location.

Originally Posted by username
The questions I will ask myself are...if there is an emergency:
  1. would I be able to hold the device so it does not fly off and hit someone
  2. if it flies off and hits someone, would it kill the person or disable the person from evacuating
  3. if falls on the floor, especially if I am at the exit row, would it slow down evacuation
  4. would it slow my own evacuation
This is basically my train of thought as I walk through the cabin.

iPad Mini with the smart cover on a lap being held by one hand at 31F? Eh.
iPad Pro with the keyboard attached and someone merrily typing away with both hands on a lap in 21A? Please put the keyboard away.
Anything in a row in front of my jumpseat (think row 7 on a 757, row 27 on a 787-8/9)? Nope. I don't trust you to hold onto it during a rejected T/O or hard braking. Sorry, please put it away.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by fezzington
FA manual says "Use of small, lightweight PEDs (e.g. Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Microsoft surface, etc) is permitted gate-to-gate on UA flights..." Anything under 2lbs may be placed in a pocket, a seatback pocket, or held -- it may not be left unsecured on an adjacent empty seat. Anything over 2lbs must be stowed in an approved carryon baggage location.
In that case, I'll just claim my quasi-tablet is under 2lbs if asked to put it away, and see what they say. Majority of the time FA's don't bat an eye when they see a tablet, no matter how obnoxiously big it is!

One time on a screen-less plane flight, a passenger dangled his ~13" iPad Pro from the upper seatback pocket to mimic an embedded entertainment screen 100% of the flight, and all the FA's said was "that's a nifty idea!". IMO, an object that big needs to be at least secured on the lap during takeoff and landing, under 2lbs or not...

Anyhow, FA's won't weigh a tablet-looking PED to verify if it's under 2lbs, and (no offense to hardworking FA's) it's not their area of expertise to properly interpret PED guidelines! So basically, I think it is worth investing in a hybrid computer for someone hoping to circumvent the rules (such as myself), because it would widely vary by FA opinion. FMP such devices are overlooked at least more than half the time.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a problem with people in the exit rows who dangle anything from the back of the row in front.

The bottom line is most FAs don't want to get into unpleasant situations with the passengers and you will always have these ignorant/smart aleck passengers who don't know why the rules are there and love breaking them. So, until we have an incident where these things cause great harm, nothing is going to change. Even after that, it will change for a few days then back to "normal".
MrGood likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Purser told me no tablets on taxi/takeoff

Had an “interesting” experience on UA29 yesterday. We were about to push back so i turned on a little Netflix (downloaded of course) on my ipad like i’ve done for the last (way too many) years. Purser came by and told me that it was against FAR to use any electronic devices on taxi or takeoff because it was a safety hazard and could fly out of my hands and hit someone. I am all for safety, but didn’t they reverse that rule about a decade before?

Anyway, to piss me off further, I was in 1L on the 787 and he left 4 extra amentity kits on the ledge in front of me that flew at me when we took off. What happened to avoiding projectiles? Also, the guy near me reading a VERY thick book was not asked to put it away for safety reasons (and it would hurt A LOT more than my Ipad).

Any thoughts here? I tried writing the GS email to ask about this and all I got back was a “You are allowed to use portable electronics during flight” comment and nothing about dealing with the problem itself of people making their own rules.

(Ok, I am done venting)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.