Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There may a formal rule on devices over 2 lbs but the most common observation is physical keyboards is what many FAs use to determine acceptability below 10,000 ft.
--- Keyboard - not allowed below 10,000 ft
--- No keyboard and does not appear to be too large, OK below 10,000 ft
FAA has a rule no more than 3 lbs in the seatback storage area.

Originally Posted by fezzington
FA manual says "Use of small, lightweight PEDs (e.g. Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Microsoft surface, etc) is permitted gate-to-gate on UA flights..." Anything under 2lbs may be placed in a pocket, a seatback pocket, or held -- it may not be left unsecured on an adjacent empty seat. Anything over 2lbs must be stowed in an approved carryon baggage location. ....
Print Wikipost

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Meanwhile I'm still getting yelled at for reading on my eBook.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Platinum
Things can really fly within a plane if they're not secure. Last week, a passenger across the aisle from me in 2A (a 737-900) left her phone on the arm rest during take off. It fell on the floor, and scooted all the way to the end of the plane. After the seat belt sign was turned off, the passenger went back and found it after 15-20 minutes of searching. "That's why you stow your equipment before takeoff" said the FA when she returned to her seat.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by frankmu
Things can really fly within a plane if they're not secure.
Yes it's definitely a safety risk. I struggle with calling this out. Pax next to me on a recent flight on a 772HD left his laptop sitting on the footrest during take-off. Several FAs walked by and said nothing.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Things can really fly within a plane if they're not secure. Last week, a passenger across the aisle from me in 2A (a 737-900) left her phone on the arm rest during take off. It fell on the floor, and scooted all the way to the end of the plane. After the seat belt sign was turned off, the passenger went back and found it after 15-20 minutes of searching. "That's why you stow your equipment before takeoff" said the FA when she returned to her seat.
Seems now on most INTL flights they announce to the J cabin if the phone goes under the seat don't move or adjust your seat and contact and FA for assistance.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Meanwhile I'm still getting yelled at for reading on my eBook.
Am I the only one that thinks cell phone usage and electronics closed at landing are nonsensical? I can't believe there are still folks that think having cell phones on during a flight is a risk. There has not been a flight in NA in the last 10 years that hasn't had a cell phone on.
BThumme likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Am I the only one that thinks cell phone usage and electronics closed at landing are nonsensical? I can't believe there are still folks that think having cell phones on during a flight is a risk. There has not been a flight in NA in the last 10 years that hasn't had a cell phone on.
Ok but sure it is ok to talk while the safety briefing is happening? Again I say you are one who probably never stops at stop signs in a quiet neighborhood.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TomMM
But what does the picture prove? A passenger was using a laptop. Are there any indicators in it that the plane is about to land?
The investigator will contact the OP and confirm the details. Of course there will be something of a 'he said, she said' aspect of the claim.

Been there, done that for exactly the same thing. Person sitting across from me was using a laptop during taxi and take-off so I snapped a picture and sent in a complaint. About 2 months late the investigator contacted me for details, verifying that the picture was taken during take off, did I talk to the FA, other details.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Meh. Much ado about nothing IMO.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I have to disagree. While nothing untoward occurred in this instance, had the aircraft experienced some difficulty in the landing - a hard landing, blown tire, hard braking (for whatever reason), etc. - the laptop could easily have gone airborne and potentially struck and injured someone. Since the laptop offender was seated in Row 1 the most likely "someone" would have been a flight attendant seated near the boarding door, lending a sense of karma to the situation.

Most of the taxi, takeoff, and landing rules for passengers are "Meh. Much ado about nothing" in the ordinary course of events. They're not there for that. They're there for the relatively rare (but often unpredictable) occasions when things go "sideways".

My biggest problem with this situation is that the flight attendants, who we have been told time and time again are "primarily there for our safety" didn't do their jobs.
ajGoes and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by kale73
My biggest problem with this situation is that the flight attendants, who we have been told time and time again are "primarily there for our safety" didn't do their jobs.
Yeah! It's high time UA assigns each plane a posse (group #6 ) to be ready to snap a photo of a scofflaw and forward it immediately to the FAA. Things are really getting bad and it's about time that anyone Platinum or higher team up to make these planes safe for all of us. There could even be a place on your account history listing how many fellow pax's you narced each month.
LordHamster and NY-FLA like this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by kale73
You are assuming of course that the laptop is > 2lbs which is the United defined weight limit for devices that have to be stowed before takeoff/landing. I can't tell from the image.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yep. And while takeoff and landing are higher risk events, it can happen any time. On my PTY-IAH flight last month, we hit unexpected heavy turbulence for about 1-2 minutes. People fell on the floor. Laptop in the aisle. A few rows ahead of me someone's drink went straight up, hit the ceiling and soaked people in a couple rows. Fortunately no one was hurt.

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
You're not the only one who thinks that, but that doesn't make you right . I don't think having them on and stowed is a risk, but I've spoken with a couple pilots who think it might be. Either way, I don't see any downside in having to turn off my phone for a few hours, since I'm not allowed to talk on it anyway. Heaven forbid I don't see a few text messages until I land or a telemarketer's missed call.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Seems now on most INTL flights they announce to the J cabin if the phone goes under the seat don't move or adjust your seat and contact and FA for assistance.
I think they are saying that on all flights now. I heard the announcement on my short haul domestic flights (PHL-ORD-MSP) over the weekend.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are assuming of course that the laptop is > 2lbs which is the United defined weight limit for devices that have to be stowed before takeoff/landing. I can't tell from the image.
Do this experiment at home:
Take a hard rectangular object weighing 1.99 lbs and hit yourself with it as hard as you can over your left eye. Whack yourself with the edge of the device for maximum impact.
Next, take a similar object weighing 2.01 lbs and do the same over your right eye.
Did the first object cause significantly less pain, suffering and tissue damage than the first?
Please report your findings.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Did you post this to validate post #2 ?

Put another way: If you think this rule shouldn't apply (to you?) - are you okay with me selecting my own set of rules to follow, too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.