Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There may a formal rule on devices over 2 lbs but the most common observation is physical keyboards is what many FAs use to determine acceptability below 10,000 ft.
--- Keyboard - not allowed below 10,000 ft
--- No keyboard and does not appear to be too large, OK below 10,000 ft
FAA has a rule no more than 3 lbs in the seatback storage area.

Originally Posted by fezzington
FA manual says "Use of small, lightweight PEDs (e.g. Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Microsoft surface, etc) is permitted gate-to-gate on UA flights..." Anything under 2lbs may be placed in a pocket, a seatback pocket, or held -- it may not be left unsecured on an adjacent empty seat. Anything over 2lbs must be stowed in an approved carryon baggage location. ....
Print Wikipost

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
One can simulate the experience in a car. Place a laptop on the passenger seat. Slam on the brakes from 60 MPH. Does the laptop slide off the seat and hit the floor, or does it go flying around the cabin?
Once the aircraft has actually touched down and there's a hard braking, sure. But I've been through several descents where prior to the actual landing the aircraft encountered I don't know - air pockets, turbulence (I'm sure the pilots on the board can use more precise terms) - that caused the whole plane to suddenly "dip" like a rollercoaster. That's when unsecured objects potentially go "flyng" around the cabin.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by kale73
Once the aircraft has actually touched down and there's a hard braking, sure. But I've been through several descents where prior to the actual landing the aircraft encountered I don't know - air pockets, turbulence (I'm sure the pilots on the board can use more precise terms) - that caused the whole plane to suddenly "dip" like a rollercoaster. That's when unsecured objects potentially go "flyng" around the cabin.
Yes, but that can happen during cruise as well. Ergo we need to ban all handheld items with the exception of soft cover baby books and ping pong balls.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Yes, but that can happen during cruise as well. Ergo we need to ban all handheld items with the exception of soft cover baby books and ping pong balls.
Wouldn't bother me in the least.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I've taken to flying with a heavier convertible laptop in tablet mode instead of my lighter (<1kg) laptop because the FAs don't mind if I use it during takeoff/landing.

Last edited by supergabe; Oct 14, 2017 at 5:15 pm
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Does this mean I can't have my Osborne out for landing?

Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
The other day I was on a 772A in (8-across) J, and the man across the aisle from me was using his heavy laptop during the safety briefing. The FA nicely asked him to put it away, and he said, "I'm shutting it down now."

He continued to use it during taxi, take-off, and climb-out.

After the meal service, I approach the purser and asked what a fellow passenger should do in this case. She said,

It's a matter of safety -- if there's an aborted take-off someone could be seriously hurt. You should have politely mentioned to him the rule and you felt you could be in danger. If he gave you any resistance or didn't put it away, you should have rung the call button. During taxi our policy is to make a PA asking if it's an emergency, and to ring again if so. I would view this as an emergency, and you should ring again so an FA can respond. We may ask the captain to stop taxiing at this point. But it's the right thing to do.
So that's one purser's viewpoint; if any of our FA friends see this, I'd appreciate if you agree or if you have other advice.

If you were sitting right across from this passenger, what would you do?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wxguy
The other day I was on a 772A in (8-across) J, and the man across the aisle from me was using his heavy laptop during the safety briefing. The FA nicely asked him to put it away, and he said, "I'm shutting it down now."

He continued to use it during taxi, take-off, and climb-out.

After the meal service, I approach the purser and asked what a fellow passenger should do in this case. She said,

It's a matter of safety -- if there's an aborted take-off someone could be seriously hurt. You should have politely mentioned to him the rule and you felt you could be in danger. If he gave you any resistance or didn't put it away, you should have rung the call button. During taxi our policy is to make a PA asking if it's an emergency, and to ring again if so. I would view this as an emergency, and you should ring again so an FA can respond. We may ask the captain to stop taxiing at this point. But it's the right thing to do.
So that's one purser's viewpoint; if any of our FA friends see this, I'd appreciate if you agree or if you have other advice.

If you were sitting right across from this passenger, what would you do?
This is the whole problem. FAs have learned to look the other way and we also don't want to make a scene and cause a delay.

A few months ago, I was in the exit row of a flight. This guy by the window had his device plugged in during pre-takeoff safety check. I made the FA make him unplug it (despite the blue light by the seats, the FAs are really loose with this and the blue light does not work all the time). Then during landing, he did it again and the FA did not see it. I asked him to unplug, he refused and I threatened to ring the bell and cause a go-around. He unplugged.

There are plenty of instances we can ring the bell and cause the cabin to be not ready for takeoff/landing. I am sure if we did this too many times, we will be barred from UA instead of UA trying to fix the loose cabin safety check.

I am still the "do not mind my own business guy" when other people's stupid behavior might put me in danger but judging from people's attitude on even FT, you can see this is not an easy thing to do.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
It honestly depends on what the person is using. I use a Surface Pro 4, which is within the 2 pound limit.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:53 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Originally Posted by Kacee
Two letters: GS
Completely. I witnessed a GS flyer doing this exact same thing on multiple weeks on the same flight and different flight crews did not bother him a bit.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Hybrid laptop-tablet OK for entire flights?

I work a lot on my laptop, and I personally find it a nuisance that I have to put it away until cruising altitude as well as preparation for landing while tablets (even those larger than my laptop) can stay out! So as a result, I was considering purchasing a laptop-tablet hybrid to switch to tablet mode during the "no large electronics" timeframes. There's one I'm eyeballing that flips on a hinge (so still technically a laptop I guess), and there's another one that actually detaches the screen from the keyboard becoming a traditional tablet. Would both still be an issue based on FAR's? Or is it vague enough to be a matter of individual flight crew opinion?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I would let your own judgment be a guide. I think beyond the minor inconvenience of putting it away and taking it out. Will that tablet/laptop become a projectile weapon in case of an emergency?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
It's all going to be up to whatever the FA's want and how they choose to interpret it. It's definitely one of those things you don't want to argue about though because you'll never win.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Compare the weight of the devices you're considering to the regulatory limits.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The criteria I've had multiple FA's state is that if it's got a keyboard attached, then it needs to go away. No keyboard and you're good.

I have no idea if that's at all official or just a rule of thumb though...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I can tell, the determination hinges () upon whether or not the device folds in half. If you can use it in a state where no articulating joint is obvious to someone walking by, you probably won't be asked to put it away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.