FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1957650-ua-rules-electronic-devices-allowed-below-10-000-ft-while-landing-taking-off.html)

davie355 Mar 13, 2019 2:41 am

Best you can do is:
1. Comply with the instruction despite the inaccurate statements (although there are rare cases when pilots request all electronics off)
2. Email UA as you did, indicating that you are providing feedback, that you believe the purser was mistaken.

gldwebs Mar 13, 2019 2:56 am

I definitely went with the #1 approach first - was not in the mood to be the next example of UA going overboard kicking people off a flight (especially when I really needed to be in Singapore for a meeting).

On #2 - just replied to their reply hoping to get them to further clarify so I can have something in writing for the next time this happen just in case.

lhrsfo Mar 13, 2019 4:44 am

Given you didn't want to have an argument, the only options were to read your own book or enjoy the view, both of which, in reality, are probably more worthwhile than watching Netflix.

GUM_elite Mar 13, 2019 5:14 am

My experience with SFO/LAX-SIN pursers has been hit or miss. They've never been particularly flyer-friendly.

zombietooth Mar 13, 2019 8:38 am

This, unfortunately, is just another example of FA capriciousness. I've seen far worse, where pax did get thrown off the plane for arguing with the FA but who, were in the right. I (and several others) once had to make a witness statement to the airport police to the effect that the FA was lying about what a pax had said to her, but to no avail. That pax was still thrown off the flight because the captain backed-up the FA.

Once a FA exhibits this sort of behavior, I cease all communication with them so as to not cross them. You took the best course of action.

Never confront a FA, they can ruin your day.

bocastephen Mar 13, 2019 9:16 am

Just put it away until the FA is seated out of the way before takeoff, then bring it back out - once they've opened their People Magazine, they are pretty oblivious to the world

[Edited by Moderator per FT Rule 12.2.]

Kacee Mar 13, 2019 9:31 am

FA power trip.

Best to just turn off brain, follow instruction, and avoid all further interaction.

deniah Mar 13, 2019 9:38 am

Policy is more stringent outside the US, so understandable how FA working international route might conflate the rules.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/devices.html

Between the U.S. and an international location, travelers may use permitted devices except when departing from or arriving into the international location, unless flight attendants have announced that permitted devices can be used throughout the flight.

Outside of the U.S., permitted devices may only be used above 10,000 feet, unless flight attendants have announced that permitted devices can be used throughout the flight.
Of course, that is only a "general guideline", and the fallsafe allows "...the crew may ask travelers to completely turn off all devices in certain situations. "

And who's to say what's a large electronic device? tablets come in a 13" 600gram form.

Anyway, not a battle worth fighting.

Betterthanyou Mar 13, 2019 9:48 am

Well, it is true. During a crash that Ipad becomes a large projectile. Most things are supposed to be stowed for takeoff and landing, and this was true well before personal electronics were common.

higher_flyer Mar 13, 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Betterthanyou (Post 30881957)
Well, it is true. During a crash that Ipad becomes a large projectile. Most things are supposed to be stowed for takeoff and landing, and this was true well before personal electronics were common.

So does a 300-page hardcover book.

bocastephen Mar 13, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Betterthanyou (Post 30881957)

Actually no, it is not true. Small electronic devices including cell phones, Ereaders and tablets can be used during taxi/takeoff/landing - it's actually spoken right in the scripted announcements. Laptops and other large electronic devices must be stowed for taxi, takeoff and landing - oh, there I did it again, directly from the scripted announcement.

laxmillenial Mar 13, 2019 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 30882011)
Actually no, it is not true. Small electronic devices including cell phones, Ereaders and tablets can be used during taxi/takeoff/landing - it's actually spoken right in the scripted announcements. Laptops and other large electronic devices must be stowed for taxi, takeoff and landing - oh, there I did it again, directly from the scripted announcement.

LOL. Love the script.

So... what about my phablet? (fat tablet). It has the name tablet! But it also has the name, fat, which is not synonymous with 'small'
Could this be why the FA asked the OP to put away the tablet? Was it one of those 12.9 inch iPads? I mean, my computer is ~13 inches.

bocastephen Mar 13, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30882046)
LOL. Love the script.

So... what about my phablet? (fat tablet). It has the name tablet! But it also has the name, fat, which is not synonymous with 'small'
Could this be why the FA asked the OP to put away the tablet? Was it one of those 12.9 inch iPads? I mean, my computer is ~13 inches.

Good question - the announcement usually mentions small or lightweight - honestly I have no idea where they draw the line since the terminology is "tablet, Ereader and cell phone". Maybe the OP was using one of those Microsoft folding laptops?

BThumme Mar 13, 2019 10:32 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 30882131)
Good question - the announcement usually mentions small or lightweight - honestly I have no idea where they draw the line since the terminology is "tablet, Ereader and cell phone". Maybe the OP was using one of those Microsoft folding laptops?

Seems like if a keyboard is attached is a good indicator (even if its a detachable keyboard).

This is one of those topics akin to if a window shade should be closed/dimmed or not. Lots of people split and vocal on both sides.

At the end of the day, you have to suck it up and do what the FA tells you. You will never win the argument, and it's just not worth trying to.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Mar 13, 2019 10:56 am

Not worth arguing for an inconvenience that's only going to last a couple of minutes. No upside. Purser was wrong, but downside is targeted bad/snotty/snooty service for entire flight - unless there was a phone around and you could call Oscar...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...db68fab7ab.jpg