Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Star Alliance Upgrade Award has wrong mileage? {needed chart is no longer posted}

UA Star Alliance Upgrade Award has wrong mileage? {needed chart is no longer posted}

Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver

Hey guys, quick question, because I'm a bit confused with UA's award upgrade price. I'm trying to upgrade an EVA flight that has Z upgrade availability using UA miles. According to UA's chart shown below, a Y fare from Hong Kong (South Asia) to Taipei (North Asia) should only be 7,500 miles. And my EVA flight is not some discount fare. It's actually a full Y fare ticket. So can someone clarify why it's charging 15K? I definitely wouldn't want to pay that for a sub 2-hour flight. Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I believe it's because you're looking at the award chart for United operated flights.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lore
I believe it's because you're looking at the award chart for United operated flights.
do you have a chart for the star partners? I couldn't find them. Thanks again!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I was looking but couldn't find it either...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, wrong chart. The upgrade is governed by the Star Alliance partner chart. Which it appears UA no longer publishes on its website.

ETA: You can find it here: Wayback: UA Award Chart
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, wrong chart. The upgrade is governed by the Star Alliance partner chart. Which it appears UA no longer publishes on its website.
The Star Alliance partner chart disappeared with the PDF award chart, sadly.

The upgrade tab is completely worthless unless you're flying UA metal.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee

ETA: You can find it here: Wayback: UA Award Chart
Yep that chart answered all my questions thank you very much

Originally Posted by jsloan
The Star Alliance partner chart disappeared with the PDF award chart, sadly.

The upgrade tab is completely worthless unless you're flying UA metal.
yep so it would seem.....though an odd chart to have it. Can't imagine in my life when I'd be using UA metal to fly Northern Africa to Northern Africa.............

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.