Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA applies for 6x additional HND slots - UA gets EWR, ORD, IAD, LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
[/QUOTE]
United Airlines Adds Service to Tokyo, Haneda with Routes from Chicago, Los Angeles, New York/Newark and Washington, D.C.

CHICAGO, Aug. 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced it will begin service between four of its U.S. hubs and Tokyo's Haneda International Airport, located approximately 15 minutes from downtown Tokyo. United will begin operating nonstop service between Chicago, Los Angeles, New York/Newark and Washington, D.C. and Haneda on March 28, 2020, subject to government approval. United currently offers daily nonstop service between San Francisco and Haneda. Tickets for United's new Haneda flights will be available for purchase starting Saturday, August 17.

In addition to United's new Haneda flights, Tokyo's Narita International airport will continue to be a hub for United with nonstop daily service between Narita and Denver, Guam, Honolulu, Houston, Los Angeles, New York/Newark and San Francisco. With the start of these new routes, United will no longer serve Narita from its Chicago and Washington D.C. hubs, and will shift these flights from Narita to Haneda.

"Our new service to Haneda gives our customers more choice and connections to more than 65 destinations throughout Asia. With service beginning next spring, we look forward to providing convenient service for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and beyond," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "United has offered nonstop service between the U.S. and Japan for more than 40 years and we are excited to expand our Japan network at Tokyo's Haneda Airport and continue to be the largest U.S. carrier to Japan."

United commends the efforts of Secretary Elaine Chao, her team at the U.S. Department of Transportation and officials at the U.S. State Department in making additional services at Tokyo Haneda a reality starting spring 2020.[/quote]

2019 HANEDA COMBINATION SERVICES
ALLOCATION PROCEEDING
DOCKET DOT-OST-2019-0014

U.S. Department of Transportation Tentatively Grants United Airlines Authority to Operate New Service to Tokyo Haneda
New slots from four hubs to Haneda Airport will expand United's best-in-class Japan route network to better meet demand from U.S. consumers and businesses
CHICAGO, May 16, 2019
-- The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) today announced that United Airlines was tentatively granted a total of four daily nonstop flights to Tokyo Haneda Airport (HND). The slots will be allocated for flights from United's hubs at Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD), Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Pending completion of an aviation agreement between the U.S. and Japanese governments later this year, the flights are expected to begin service by the summer of 2020.

"As the largest U.S. carrier to Asia, we are excited to see we were granted additional slots to Haneda to help more Americans travel between our nation and Japan's capital city, which will offer our customers an unparalleled experience while maximizing choice," said United Airlines President Scott Kirby. "We would like to thank the U.S. Department of Transportation for its work in reviewing our proposal and advocating for what is best for the American public and for our economy. We also recognize the efforts of the U.S. State Department's work with the DOT to enable additional service at Haneda."

Together, the flights from these U.S. mainland hub cities will connect Tokyo Haneda with:
  • The U.S.'s largest metropolitan area and center of finance and commerce, Newark/New York;
  • The most important logistics and transportation hub in the Midwest, Chicago;
  • The seat of the U.S. federal government, Washington, D.C.; and
  • Additional U.S. carrier service in the largest U.S. mainland - Tokyo market at Los Angeles.
This announcement will strengthen United's broad-based and end-to-end network between the United States and Japan. United's proposed flights to Haneda would allow U.S. consumers to make connections to 37 points in Japan via United's joint venture partner All Nippon Airways (ANA), strengthening United's existing comprehensive network. Throughout this proceeding United has been the only U.S. airline to recognize the unique benefits that Tokyo Haneda and Tokyo Narita offer to the traveling public.

Only United has committed to providing service to both Tokyo airports from regions across the United States. United has proven its long-term commitment to Tokyo as a key gateway in Asia, serving Tokyo from all seven of its U.S. mainland hubs. United also serves 31 markets in the Asia/Pacific region, more than any other U.S. carrier, and has successfully launched 11 new nonstop flights from the U.S. mainland to destinations throughout the Asia/Pacific region since 2014.
United Applies to Serve Tokyo Haneda from Six Leading U.S. Hubs Where Demand Is Highest

Proposed daily nonstop flights from hubs at Newark Liberty, Chicago O'Hare, Washington Dulles, Los Angeles International, Houston George Bush and Guam will maximize choice and convenience for U.S. consumers and businesses

CHICAGO, Feb. 21, 2019
-- United Airlines announced today it has filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for a total of six daily nonstop flights to Tokyo Haneda Airport (HND) from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD), Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and Guam's A.B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM). Pending completion of an aviation agreement between the U.S. and Japanese governments later this year, and slots awarded by DOT, the flights are expected to begin service by the summer of 2020.

United has presented a proposal maximized to meet consumer demand and benefit U.S. travelers. Together, the flights from five U.S. mainland hub cities and Guam will connect Tokyo Haneda with 112 U.S. airports, representing approximately two thirds of U.S.-Tokyo demand, or more than three million annual Tokyo bookings. With United's proposed routes representing five of the six largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. mainland and a combined population of nearly 56 million, the new flights requested in this proceeding will provide consumers with more choices and more convenient options when selecting Tokyo Haneda for their travel plans.

"If awarded by the DOT, these new nonstop flights would expand United's best-in-class Japan route network to better meet demand from U.S. consumers and businesses," said United Airlines President Scott Kirby. "Tokyo is a hub of 21st century global commerce and innovation and one of the world's most popular tourist destinations. Today's filing demonstrates United's unparalleled commitment to helping more Americans travel between our nation and Japan's capital city. Our proposed flights to Tokyo Haneda will offer an unrivaled experience and maximize choice and convenience for our customers traveling between the United States and Tokyo for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and beyond."

United's proposed daily flights from Newark/New York, Los Angeles and Guam would supplement the airline's existing daily flights between those hubs and Tokyo's Narita International Airport (NRT), while United would shift existing daily nonstop Chicago, Washington D.C. and Houston flights from Tokyo Narita to Tokyo Haneda.United's application will also support American businesses and help grow the U.S. economy by offering direct flights from key business, government and cultural hubs where demand for flights to Haneda, the closest airport to central Tokyo, is the highest. With these new flights in place, United would provide Haneda service from:
  • The largest market for travel demand between the U.S. mainland and Tokyo (Los Angeles);
  • The two largest markets for travel demand between the East Coast and Tokyo (Newark/New York and Washington, D.C.);
  • The two largest markets for travel demand between the central U.S. and Tokyo (Chicago and Houston); and
  • Guam, a market with significant travel demand from a Japanese tourist base that is critical to the island's tourism industry, economy and job market.
United's proposal would help realize the full potential of these new routes for U.S. consumers and businesses by expanding United's broad-based and end-to-end network between the United States and Japan.

United's proposed flights to Haneda would allow U.S. consumers to make connections to 37 points in Japan via United's joint venture partner All Nippon Airways (ANA), strengthening United's existing comprehensive network when combined with nonstop or single-connection service from 112 U.S. airports.

United has proven its long-term commitment to Tokyo as a key gateway in Asia, serving Tokyo from 100 percent of its U.S. hubs. United also serves 31 markets in the Asia/Pacific region, more than any other U.S. carrier, and has successfully launched 11 new nonstop flights from the U.S. mainland to destinations throughout the Asia/Pacific region since 2014.United's application is in response to the U.S. DOT instituting a competitive route proceeding to allocate slot pairs, with today's application filed under DOT proceeding # DOT-OST-2019-0014. For more information about United's bid, please visit www.UnitedToHaneda.com.
Print Wikipost

UA applies for 6x additional HND slots - UA gets EWR, ORD, IAD, LAX

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hirohito888
HKG mostly because of maintenance that goes on overnight. A lot of other flights to Asia don't turnaround until next day, such as PEK, PVG and ICN (772).
I might be wrong on this, but I thought only TPE, HKG, and ICN (for the second, non-daily SFO flight) were the only Asian stations where UA does RON? PEK, PVG, SIN, and TYO are all direct turns IIRC.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dkc192
I might be wrong on this, but I thought only TPE, HKG, and ICN (for the second, non-daily SFO flight) were the only Asian stations where UA does RON? PEK, PVG, SIN, and TYO are all direct turns IIRC.
EWR- and SFO-PEK are direct turns but ORD-PEK is an RON, and SFO-PVG is an RON as well (857/891 arrive 5.25pm and 8.30pm but 890/858 depart 12.30am and 12.30pm)
Old May 17, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Time savings on the Tokyo end is generally for intra-japan flights, eg last flight to hakodate, and comparing that to nrt-selfconnect-to-hnd or
shinkansen (since NRT has few intra-japan flights)

I expect hnd for o&d and intra-japan connextions, continue with nrt for Asia connections (and no major changes in hnd timings for Asia flights)
NRT does have few intra-japan flights, but the ones they do have are already well-timed for the existing UA TPAC bank arriving 1-3pm.

ANA has departures from NRT to FUK, OKA, HIJ, ITM, NGO, KMQ, KIJ, SDJ, CTS all departing between 4-6pm.

HND is not needed for I->Japan domestic transfers and it provides little/no feed for I-International transfers.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by east_west
NRT does have few intra-japan flights, but the ones they do have are already well-timed for the existing UA TPAC bank arriving 1-3pm.

ANA has departures from NRT to FUK, OKA, HIJ, ITM, NGO, KMQ, KIJ, SDJ, CTS all departing between 4-6pm.

HND is not needed for I->Japan domestic transfers and it provides little/no feed for I-International transfers.
HIJ is the only one of these flights I have personal experience with, but it's a single CRJ-200, which often sells out. By contrast, HND-HIJ is served by 777s.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:38 pm

I'm going off United's original proposal - those are the benefits UA claimed (and why those benefits are better than whatever the other carriers are offering)

original proposal: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0014-0002
after everyone else proposed, united replied and compared theirs vs others: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0014-0037

quotes from original document
Thus, United anticipates that consumers would cross-utilize Haneda and Narita flights at Newark Liberty and Los Angeles in similar fashion as consumers who currently use United’s San Francisco-Tokyo travel options:
• Consumers in each hub would have the choice of two flights to Tokyo, one each to Haneda and Narita;
• Consumers are anticipated to use Newark-Haneda and Los AngelesHaneda for Tokyo travel needs and for connections to points in Japan; and
• Consumers are anticipated to use Newark-Narita and Los Angeles-Narita for their travel needs to Asia/Pacific, or if they are destined to points West of Central Tokyo.

For example, ANA operates to 37 points in Japan from Haneda, 30 of which are not served by
ANA at Narita. (See Exhibit UA-119)

After 5pm 25 departures available from HND versus 9 from NRT
so fine, narita for asia/western japan, HND for eastern japan

quotes from response document, matching what I said earlier
Moreover, United is the only carrier that has explained its proposed decision to switch some of its Tokyo flights from Narita to Haneda. As United articulated, the decision is based upon the historic traffic mix for the flight in question.

For example, United determined that flights that historically transport passengers primarily to Tokyo or to points in Japan should switch to Haneda.

Flights that have a disproportionate number of consumers connecting to points beyond Tokyo in the Asia Pacific region should continue to operate to Narita.

United’s proposal has considered the overall consumer need for travel to Tokyo, to points in Japan beyond Tokyo and to other points in the Asia/Pacific region, and it is not clear that any of the other three applicants gave such consideration in developing their future Tokyo plans.

Last edited by paperwastage; May 17, 2019 at 8:49 pm
Old May 17, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
HIJ is the only one of these flights I have personal experience with, but it's a single CRJ-200, which often sells out. By contrast, HND-HIJ is served by 777s.
The reason HIJ is served by CRJ-200 is because NRT is primarily International flow traffic (which presumably is not that high to HIJ). Any domestic traveller would use HND.

Looking at google flights, I see availability on the once-a-day NRT-HIJ route every day except for 5/25.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:11 pm

I'm going off United's original proposal - those are the benefits UA claimed (and why those benefits are better than whatever the other carriers are offering)

original proposal: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0014-0002
after everyone else proposed, united replied and compared theirs vs others: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0014-0037

quotes from original document

so fine, narita for asia/western japan, HND for eastern japan

quotes from response document, matching what I said earlier
Tokyo and the nine cities served by NRT connect to the top 15 metro areas within about one hour transit of the airport. Yes, there are a some other remote cities that require HND, but NRT already covers the vast majority of Japan's population areas.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:16 pm

Tokyo and the nine cities served by NRT connect to the top 15 metro areas within about one hour transit of the airport. Yes, there are a some other remote cities that require HND, but NRT already covers the vast majority of Japan's population areas.
fine... i'll revise it

I expect hnd for o&d and some intra-japan connections, continue with nrt for Asia connections and some intra-japan connections (and no major changes in hnd timings for Asia flights)
Old May 17, 2019, 9:35 pm

I expect hnd for o&d and some intra-japan connections, continue with nrt for Asia connections and some intra-japan connections (and no major changes in hnd timings for Asia flights)
I agree with this.

The problem is UA's reduction of NRT frequency in favor of HND shifts the balance of capacity from NRT (International connections and the bulk of Japan) to O&D and remote Japanese cities only served by HND. The fact is that NRT capacity and hence onward connection opportunity to Asia/East Asia is being reduced and while ANA frequencies still exist at IAD/ORD, they are suboptimal for UA FFers. All-in-all, this is bad news for UA FFers who travel to Asia/SE Asia from IAD/ORD and the rest of the east coast.

The big question is what ANA will do with their own upcoming new USA-HND frequencies, and whether they will further reduce NRT capacity with these new slots.

Hopefully someone will build a nice airport hotel on top of HND to replace the Royal Park.
drewguy likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:23 am

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
The problem is UA's reduction of NRT frequency in favor of HND shifts the balance of capacity from NRT (International connections and the bulk of Japan) to O&D and remote Japanese cities only served by HND.
Where did I miss that UA intends to reduce NRT frequency because of these flights? Or are you making that presumption?

Did the addition of the SFO/HND options reduce SFO/NRT or others? I honestly don't remember...

I highly doubt UA is going to relinquish any of their NRT slots... Maybe they'd down-gauge a flight or two, but overall I don't think we'd notice much difference on the NRT side of things. Plus, in the short term, you have buildup and actual Olympics that will be increasing pax traffic significantly.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by superEGO
Where did I miss that UA intends to reduce NRT frequency because of these flights? Or are you making that presumption?

Did the addition of the SFO/HND options reduce SFO/NRT or others? I honestly don't remember...

I highly doubt UA is going to relinquish any of their NRT slots... Maybe they'd down-gauge a flight or two, but overall I don't think we'd notice much difference on the NRT side of things. Plus, in the short term, you have buildup and actual Olympics that will be increasing pax traffic significantly.
It's in a post several pages back. I can't recall the exact details off hand, but some of the new frequencies are in addition to NRT and others entail moving from NRT to HND (IAD is one of these because NH has a NRT flight).
Old May 18, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver

In their application UA stated that IAD/ORD-HND replace the corresponding NRT flights, while EWR-HND and LAX-HND are in addition to NRT
Also UA's already relinquished the slot pair for NRT-SIN 803/804, and I think they'd be more than willing to give up the IAD and ORD slots as well
drewguy likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Where did I miss that UA intends to reduce NRT frequency because of these flights? Or are you making that presumption.
United made very clear and transparent in its application that -

1) EWR, LAX (both granted) and GUM (rejected) would be new services in addition to their NRT services.

2) IAD, ORD (granted) and IAH (rejected) would be transfers away from NRT.

DL may not have been explicit in their application but it was common knowledge that all five that they got would be transfers away from NRT, allowing them to close their NRT station. While no new US-Tokyo service they are upgauging SEA and PDX for a modest capacity increase overall.

AA was the one IMO covertly proposing reduction in service to Tokyo. LAS was a total non starter. And their other proposals (2x DFW and 1x LAX) are the only daily services they’re flying to NRT. UA called them out on this for not saying whether (AA’s word) “additional” meant additional to NRT service or to current LAX and first preference DFW service to HND. Had they got all three and transferred them from NRT, that would have left just their 3x weekly from ORD (cue quiietly close that route and the NRT station).

In short, UA was clearly the most transparent on what would happen re NRT.

sapguy and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I highly doubt UA is going to relinquish any of their NRT slots
At one time, NRT slots and route authorities were extraordinarily valuable. Today, with USA-Japan Open Skies, a 2nd NRT runway and international HND service, that’s no longer the case.
moondog and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Clearly it seems like the most negative thing about IAD/ORD-NRT now routing to HND is the lesser lack of connectivity elsewhere. However, is it possible that UA’s data tells it that they simply do not have enough folks connecting onwards via NRT? I would think they should have good insights into this, as most people aren’t going to be booking tickets on separate PNRs like some of us FTers might.

I do agree that it seems like UA will be the only one left flying to NRT - DL is definitely closing up shop, and given AA’s seeming indifference to fighting for ORD-TPAC routes with UA, that they are going to throw in the towel there as well and simply take their 2 flights to HND.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.