Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA/UX ferry flights -- What, Why, Examples, .... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Ferry flights -- a flight operated to get an aircraft from one location to another for company reasons -- with no commercial passengers. Besides the flight crew, there may be other airline personnel but no paying passengers. With no commercial passengers, there is no need for flight attendants.
-- repositioning due to weather / irrops
-- repositioning after a charter flight
-- flying to/from a maintenance center
-- delivery of new aircraft
Print Wikipost

UA/UX ferry flights -- What, Why, Examples, .... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
United 2755 ferry flight?

United 2755 IAH to SFO seat map shows its completely empty. 773 plane
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Yup. Pretty common for ferry flights to be operated under that flight number.

Code:
2755/12MAR                                                      
P IAH/OUT    213P  L00.28  EST OFF  229PFLIGHT PREPARATION      
P IAH/OFF    227P                                               
P SFO/ON     355P                                               
P SFO/IN     413P  L00.38  ‡                                    
D FCF/FERRY FLIGHT  NO REVENUE CUSTOMERS                        
D HDQ/IAH SFO PROT UNDER GG CN2 X55                             

SKED  IAH  ORIG    145P              GTD   C7 SHIP 2138         
      SFO   335P  TERM      GTA   89
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
I just noticed it because now that plane replacing Max 9 to Maui. Pretty large upgage to 773.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Wow.. replacing a 7M9 by grabbing a spare 77W from another hub... an interesting flavor of desperate scramble. At least the OGG pax get to ride in style!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by joeyE

Pretend for a second that we’re not all aviation-knowing or United AvGeeks....what’s the purpose of a ferry flight, when you can easily put a hundred people on there & make it a revenue flight? Tough to believe, but not everyone knows the industry inside & out & all its quirks. Some of us like asking simple questions w/o getting flamed..
No crew avaliable due to scheduling for the ferry flight to operate. Since ferries are also usually last minute, it's not worth finding FAs and paying them for a couple revenue customers.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VWang1111
No crew avaliable due to scheduling for the ferry flight to operate. Since ferries are also usually last minute, it's not worth finding FAs and paying them for a couple revenue customers.
Right; they can operate a ferry flight without a full crew, but as soon as they put even one passenger on board, they need the full complement.

They would likely have operated it as a revenue segment if they had an IAH-SFO cancelation, but otherwise there likely wasn't enough organic demand to justify it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:10 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bhunt

I just noticed it because now that plane replacing Max 9 to Maui. Pretty large upgage to 773.
IIRC, when they showed a map with MAX planes that were still in the air, there were SEVERAL flying to Hawaii - though some may have been AA.

But a 773 makes sense if they need to ferry two or three MAX worth of pax @:-)
seenitall likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by VWang1111
I am pretty sure someone in operations had done their homework in lining up planes and, if necessary, people to operate the flight. After all, the FAA staffing minimum is drastically different for 7M9 and 773.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by EmailKid
But a 773 makes sense if they need to ferry two or three MAX worth of pax @:-)
This. I believe OGG had three MAX 9 flights a day to the mainland (1xSFO, 2xLAX). Since none of them are going to operate, unless UA gets a lot of extra capacity on the route, PAX are going to be stranded. A 773 is the most effective way of addressing. Once again, UA shows that (unlike contrary opinion that is so popular on this board) it is not clueless.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Out of curiosity, does the FAA order also prevent mx ferry operations for the MAX a/c?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Out of curiosity, does the FAA order also prevent mx ferry operations for the MAX a/c?
No, from another thread, but may require permission for each flight. Apparently something like delivery flights.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The Emergency Order in principle forbids all operations, but says that certain operations - MX ferry is mentioned as an example - can be authorized using a Special Flight Permit (14 CFR § 21.197) on a case-by-case basis.

It does involve the need for FAA authorization, whereas, in some other countries, only revenue flights are forbidden and operators do not have to seek special authorization to conduct these flights.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
I figured that might be an easy question to answer for you so I am asking here:
I noticed a flight today UA2782 FRA-EWR on a 764 being way delayed. What kind of flight is that as the only flight from FRA to EWR I know of is UA961 on a 78J. Also the flight number kind of confuses me.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mynolix
I figured that might be an easy question to answer for you so I am asking here:
I noticed a flight today UA2782 FRA-EWR on a 764 being way delayed. What kind of flight is that as the only flight from FRA to EWR I know of is UA961 on a 78J. Also the flight number kind of confuses me.
Good question. Hopefully one of the knowledgeable people around here can shed some light on it. It does seem to be a rarely used flight number:

Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Numbers in that range are often charters or extra sections for cancelled flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.