Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA/UX ferry flights -- What, Why, Examples, .... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Ferry flights -- a flight operated to get an aircraft from one location to another for company reasons -- with no commercial passengers. Besides the flight crew, there may be other airline personnel but no paying passengers. With no commercial passengers, there is no need for flight attendants.
-- repositioning due to weather / irrops
-- repositioning after a charter flight
-- flying to/from a maintenance center
-- delivery of new aircraft
Print Wikipost

UA/UX ferry flights -- What, Why, Examples, .... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Likely a ferry flight. Flight #'s 2500+ on UA mainline are usually charters/non-rev flights. Also - flight isn't showing up when searching DEN-IAD schedule for today. Not sure of the stop in Indiana, but the reasoning on shift from EWR to IAD might be the ops team decided the plane was needed in IAD instead of EWR after departing DEN.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:04 pm

Cool - thanks for the info! Very helpful.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Since the Activity Log is in reverse chron order, I'd reckon the original flight was DEN-AID which was then diverted to EWR and finally to IAD. Initially I though that AID/IAD was a typo (this often happens during IRROPs) but the flight was actually headed to Indiana and that would make sense for charter ops.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Since the Activity Log is in reverse chron order, I'd reckon the original flight was DEN-AID which was then diverted to EWR and finally to IAD. Initially I though that AID/IAD was a typo (this often happens during IRROPs) but the flight was actually headed to Indiana and that would make sense for charter ops.
I think that the flight was supposed to go to EWR. The diversion to AID (MST 15:05) was a mistake that they corrected one minute later to a diversion to IAD (MST 15:06).
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AID = Anderson, Indiana. I've never heard of the place and I'm suspicious that it can't handle mainline aircraft. It would be a very odd choice for a diversion in that even if an emergency landing is necessary, there's a tendency to aim for airports with good emergency services rather than small rural airstrips.

OTOH, if it's a charter, could this be for some athletic team or even a group of fans going to a bowl game?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA
No I'm fairly confident your initial typo hypothesis was correct. As rolltribe said this flight number is constant with charters or positioning flights. FlightAware has the filed flight plan and track log. The flight plan is a DEN-EWR flight plan. So they were re-positioning the plane. For whatever reason mid-flight they deemed the plane was needed in IAD more than EWR. Over Illinois the plane diverted to IAD to operate the OP's flight to PHX, but it was initially misfiled AID, the same three letters as IAD.
but the flight was actually headed to Indiana and that would make sense for charter ops.
There is nothing in the track log to support this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AID = Anderson, Indiana. I've never heard of the place and I'm suspicious that it can't handle mainline aircraft. It would be a very odd choice for a diversion in that even if an emergency landing is necessary, there's a tendency to aim for airports with good emergency services rather than small rural airstrips.

OTOH, if it's a charter, could this be for some athletic team or even a group of fans going to a bowl game?
If it was a charter it would have landed there and they would not have corrected the diversion in one minute. An operator mistyped the diversion: wrote AID instead of IAD.

The original flight was supposed to be EWR as the original gate of arrival was consistent with the numbering in Terminal C of EWR.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
No I'm fairly confident your initial typo hypothesis was correct. As rolltribe said this flight number is constant with charters or positioning flights. FlightAware has the filed flight plan and track log. The flight plan is a DEN-EWR flight plan. So they were re-positioning the plane. For whatever reason mid-flight they deemed the plane was needed in IAD more than EWR. Over Illinois the plane diverted to IAD to operate the OP's flight to PHX, but it was initially misfiled AID, the same three letters as IAD.

There is nothing in the track log to support this.
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If it was a charter it would have landed there and they would not have corrected the diversion in one minute. An operator mistyped the diversion: wrote AID instead of IAD.

The original flight was supposed to be EWR as the original gate of arrival was consistent with the numbering in Terminal C of EWR.
Ah I see. So typo it is.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Digression related to typos: I had a flight that was going slightly faster than scheduled (good winds), so the estimated arrival times were updated accordingly, but someone typo'd the date one day into the future. That meant my itinerary got flagged as a misconnect and triggered the IRROPS 'free change' functionality, even though I was just fine with my connection. Fortunately the automation didn't offload me from my original connecting flight, and I didn't have to fix anything.

It's kind of fun to run into moments like this where the humans behind all the machines become apparent.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:21 pm

I find flightstats better than flightaware for tracking down this kind of thing. The Event Timeline for this flight is pretty clear what happened:

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...htId=985481398 (scroll down)

Note that the "Record Created" is just a few hours before the flight, which is atypical for a scheduled flight but normal for last minute ferry / etc. And you can see the redirect to AID and then changed to IAD one minute later that was highlighted by another poster already.

I like how they assign baggage claim belts to ferry flights. Just in case, I guess?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
ASE-COS Nonstop scheduled for today

I noticed there is an ASE-COS scheduled for today. I've never seen this before, and it looks like only 2 seats are taken on the seat map. I assume this is irrops related given the weather here in Aspen, but just curious if somebody had some insight. Also, I tried to do a dummy booking for this flight, but was unable to find anywhere to book it. Haven't seen ASE-COS scheduled as a commercial flight since the old Western Pacific days.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I noticed there is an ASE-COS scheduled for today. I've never seen this before, and it looks like only 2 seats are taken on the seat map. I assume this is irrops related given the weather here in Aspen, but just curious if somebody had some insight. Also, I tried to do a dummy booking for this flight, but was unable to find anywhere to book it. Haven't seen ASE-COS scheduled as a commercial flight since the old Western Pacific days.
Positioning flight. The two seats are default blocked seats on CR7 flights, even non-rev flights. Also, flight # is 1395 which isn't a UX flight #.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:45 am

Three weeks ago ASE-BNA.....

ASE usually has three UAL flights a day to and from ORD in the winter.
(01/30/19) UA5643 the 13:06 departure to ORD is cancelled but there is a flight UA 1361 ASE-BNA ( ferry flight) at 13:06 (I am guessing) to position an aeroplane in Nashville to allow a BNA to ORD flight tomorrow (1/31/19)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
GJT - ASE

Just repositioning

it has been a tough winter for those of us who live and travel out of ASE
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:24 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
You'll see a lot of that today (as has occurred all winter with the Chicago cluterfudge of weather all year).

What basically happens is the crew's schedule for that day is followed, but bypassing ORD. For example, today there's a Tulsa-Lansing, MI flight that just landed at LAN. The crew was probably supposed to work TUL-ORD-LAN-ORD. Since ORD is 'struggling', United cancels the TUL-ORD, and get the plane to LAN whereas at least one flight can operate.

This probably happens a few times a day in regular operations for one reason or another, but happens several times a day during IRROPS.

While I think of this as "nothing to see here"...I took that TUL-LAN flight and saw it was UA#3201. It's easy to figure out that UA32_ _ is the reserved flight numbers for ExpressJet's positioning flights. You'll see on the app:

Flight #, Routing
3200, Huntsville-Charleston
3201, Aforementioned TUL-LAN
3202, Knoxville-Rochester
3203, Knoxville-Sioux Falls
3204, Allentown-Cedar Rapids

This is just ExpressJet. Skywest uses 13_ _ and some of theirs today are:

1360, Greensboro-Asheville
1361, Flint-Ft Wayne
1362, South Bend-Salina, KS

I see these seemingly unusual flights operating from my home airport, MBS, all the time. Planes coming and going to other Skywest stations, invariably due to ORD issues.

I think mainline uses the low 1300's, but my random checking of the app doesn't show much. I'm sure more 'educated' FTers know how to find everything.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Feb 20, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.