Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: OZ*G, Nexus, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did the OP pay to change or to cancel? AFAIK Op didn't yet know the desired rebooking date, so it was an exorbitant $200 just to cancel, which is not the same as getting the remaining credit after a change.
I think everyone is arguing about semantics now. Call the fee whatever you want. The point is that I was told that I could call back later to re-book the flight and only pay the fare difference (if any). If they bother to respond to my credit card dispute, they will likely say that they charged me $200 for the service of going on the website for me and pressing the cancel button. We'll see what happens.

BTW, is it even allowed to go on the UA website and access someone else's booking?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jiajun
....BTW, is it even allowed to go on the UA website and access someone else's booking?
YES
PNR or ticket number and last name, that's all it takes
One should treat their PNR or ticket number like a password

And this is not a UA issue, this is true for most aitlines.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
YES
PNR or ticket number and last name, that's all it takes
One should treat their PNR or ticket number like a password

And this is not a UA issue, this is true for most aitlines.
Yes, it's possible to do it. But is it allowed by UA policy?

For example, lets say that I'm sitting in a lounge and the person beside me is holding a print out of their itinerary. I glance over and see their name and PNR. Am I allowed to then go on the website and cancel their flight? I mean, yes, I can do that. But is it allowed?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For example, lets say that I'm sitting in a lounge and the person beside me is holding a print out of their itinerary. I glance over and see their name and PNR. Am I allowed to then go on the website and cancel their flight? I mean, yes, I can do that. But is it allowed?
If you were to do that, you would be representing yourself as your agent to UA. If your question is, "does UA policy allow people to make changes based upon a misrepresentation," the answer is obviously 'no.' But since the policy isn't enforced on the website, I'm not sure what good that really does you.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... For example, lets say that I'm sitting in a lounge and the person beside me is holding a print out of their itinerary. I glance over and see their name and PNR. Am I allowed to then go on the website and cancel their flight? I mean, yes, I can do that. But is it allowed?
Not sure what you mean by "allowed" -- you can do it and there is essentially no way to trace who did it(except by IP address which is not useful in many cases)
Such as Unauthorized flight reservation change made by someone else

This issue has been discussed many times and it is a needed feature for those that have others manage their travel. But it can be misused -- hence treat your PNR / BP with respect
And yes the scammers use this feature.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you were to do that, you would be representing yourself as your agent to UA. If your question is, "does UA policy allow people to make changes based upon a misrepresentation," the answer is obviously 'no.' But since the policy isn't enforced on the website, I'm not sure what good that really does you.
It doesn't do me any good. I was just curious as to what the policy is.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:50 pm

Not sure what you mean by "allowed" -- you can do it and there is essentially no way to trace who did it(except by IP address which is not useful in many cases)

This issue has been discussed many times and it is a needed feature for those that have others manage their travel. But it can be misused -- hence treat your PNR / BP with respect
That makes sense. Do legitimate travel agents make booking changes/cancellations in this way? Or do they have a separate system for accessing bookings on behalf of their clients?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:53 pm

That makes sense. Do legitimate travel agents make booking changes/cancellations in this way? Or do they have a separate system for accessing bookings on behalf of their clients?
True travel agents can access via different means but an admin or travel coordinator at many businesses, just use the PNR access.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm not so sure why this has become so complicated.

As soon as the call center agent represented himself as being with UA, when he was not, any fee the call center charged was subject to chargeback.

The rest is semantics.
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I'm not so sure why this has become so complicated.

As soon as the call center agent represented himself as being with UA, when he was not, any fee the call center charged was subject to chargeback.

The rest is semantics.
Nobody said that the agent claimed to be from UA. That’s a big reason why these types of situations continue to occur. They never claim to be a representative of the airline.

There were sooo many signs that the original poster should have seen that this was not necessarily a scam but just an agent that was “hired” to perform something that the OP could have done on their own. The wolf cannot exist without the lamb.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Meola10
Nobody said that the agent claimed to be from UA.
Do all (or any) of the United agents you speak to identify themselves as being from United? Your broader point could be right but this can't be the lynchpin.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Modern enterprise software that allows users to delegate authority to others (admins) generally implements that in such a way that it isn’t via essentially anonymous access. Audit and access control is a strict requirement. Airlines could certainly implement that if they wanted to.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:27 pm
J S

This is a very helpful, but please edit your post to remove at least a digit or two of the scammer's phone number. Otherwise, it is possible that someone could accidentally use that number through a mistaken google search or google could actually increase the ranking of that number.

Moderators: perhaps you can make the edit.

I would leave most of the number (just star out a digit or two) so that people will be able to recognize the number is fake if they were trying to check it.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by J S
This is a very helpful, but please edit your post to remove at least a digit or two of the scammer's phone number. Otherwise, it is possible that someone could accidentally use that number through a mistaken google search or google could actually increase the ranking of that number.
As has already been pointed out above, the number has already been disconnected.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Companies frequently place "ads" for themselves so that they can be above equivalent ads for other companies trying to take their business. eg, American puts in an ad for themselves when someone searches for "united airlines". UA then puts in their own ad for the same term so they appear above AA.

The fact it's an ad doesn't necessarily make it illegitimate - although obviously it should have you at last asking the question...
There is clearly a difference for an AA ad appearing when you search for united airlines versus an ad that purports to be United and even has the URL listed in the ad giving the consumer the confidence that the information listed in the ad is for UA and not some scummy TA. If you look at the Facebook example I provided earlier, the scammers clearly state to be Facebook in the ad and the URL visible in the ad says Facebook.com Yet the number provided wasn't for Facebook but rather for a data harvesting firm.

At this point I think it's safe to say that you cannot trust what you see on search engines like Google with even the trained eye being easily deceived. I suspect Google is aware of their issue but they lack the technical chops to address this issue all of the time because Adwords is a big black box and no one really knows how the algorithm determines what ad to place where - it's really a roll of the die.

But can UA do anything about it for this traveller? Can they give them a new password (i.e. PNR) and invalidate the prior one? My gut says it can since I've had UA split PNRs before to confirm upgrades but don't know if the Univac supports that feature yet

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.