Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa standby on United ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by drewguy
Though it's not rule circumvention if the ask is simply "can I change". Now if the point is "you bought a ticket for X flight; you vill fly that flight" then okay.
Remember, it’s Lufthansa that’s suing that passenger from Berlin for hidden city ticketing. They are by-the-book.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be fair, OP asked whether he could stand by for an earlier flight and the response seems to suggest that this is about circumventing LH's fare rules. I do not read that into the OP.

On UA, Same Day Change is a published rule and it is available under certain circumstances for somewhere $0-$75 depending on elite status. While this is not standby in the strict sense, it is a term which many use.

So, the real answer is that no, LH does not have a SDC policy and that covers standby as well.
airoli likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe ask in the LH forum.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I have done this at least 50 times over the last decade. I've gotten pushback maybe two or three times: it's far more common for the flight to simply be full. I would go to the gate, usually a few minutes before boarding and ask. If there was an open seat, I'd almost always be on it.

I never used the word "standby".
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I was able to standby/change my ticket for a flight today. So anecdotally it is possible.

My trip involved a LH to UA connection. Ticket issued by UA. I asked the check-in agent if I could take an earlier flight to lengthen my connection time, which was only one hour as ticketed. She tried but ultimately said it was not possible since the LH flight was issued as a UA codeshare. I asked again at the lounge and the agent there confirmed me on an earlier flight with no issues.

I am UA*G and it was a paid J ticket.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by cmhua777
I was able to standby/change my ticket for a flight today. So anecdotally it is possible.

My trip involved a LH to UA connection. Ticket issued by UA. I asked the check-in agent if I could take an earlier flight to lengthen my connection time, which was only one hour as ticketed. She tried but ultimately said it was not possible since the LH flight was issued as a UA codeshare. I asked again at the lounge and the agent there confirmed me on an earlier flight with no issues.

I am UA*G and it was a paid J ticket.
Big difference here is that you're in paid J. That's probably a changeable ticket which means you simply did a ticket change, not standby or "SDC" for the LH flight.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Big difference here is that you're in paid J. That's probably a changeable ticket which means you simply did a ticket change, not standby or "SDC" for the LH flight.
You can SDC on LH within Europe when you are on a business flex ticket. It was introduced a year ago.It does not need to be a refundable ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Should have clarified that it was a USA-Europe RT ticket and was changeable with a fee. Despite this, agent did a SDC change at no charge to accommodate my request for a longer connection. I suppose things might be easier on a J ticket, so did call out that difference.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I have been accommodated on an earlier flight before, granted it was a UA award booking, intra-Euro LH J to longhaul LH F. I asked to be put on an earlier flight to maximize my time in FRA FCT. The agent put me on the earlier flight and warned me there was no catering for me (but turns out there was an extra set of meal for me).
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:18 pm

Resurrecting an old thread…

I had success in getting a Lufthansa agent to let me onto an earlier flight.Was flying Lufthansa from a Large Italian Airport (LIA)-FRA connecting to United for FRA-IAD. Business Class both flights, upgraded both with PlusPoints. Got to LIA early and asked the check-in counter agent if it might be possible to take the earlier flight up to FRA. It was clear this was an unusual request. However, the agent asked her supervisor who said it wouldn’t be a problem. Was advised that there might not be a meal for me; however, as a short flight, that didn’t matter to me.

I noticed that the Lufthansa agent didn’t reissue the ticket so must have just done something to the individual flight coupon. The new boarding pass displayed the same 016 ticket number as on the original ticket. Oddly, though, the flight posted to my MileagePlus account as if it were a 220 ticket.

And, indeed, there was no meal available for me on the flight, as they didn’t re-cater at LIA; however, the flight attendant was able to offer me some Müsli and a yogurt. There was only one other passenger in the Business cabin on the flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
I noticed that the Lufthansa agent didn’t reissue the ticket so must have just done something to the individual flight coupon. The new boarding pass displayed the same 016 ticket number as on the original ticket. Oddly, though, the flight posted to my MileagePlus account as if it were a 220 ticket.
That sometimes happens with +Ps. LH will issue an UG voucher '220' and with some level of disruption ... it credits as 220. MP can fix that afterwards.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
That sometimes happens with +Ps. LH will issue an UG voucher '220' and with some level of disruption ... it credits as 220. MP can fix that afterwards.
It actually worked out in my favor that the segment credited as 220. I got more miles somehow than if it had credited as 016.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.